Armrest storage box

I ordered that last week, I was looking for some sort of organizer thingy in the armrest. I hated the little sliding tray that it came with.

Did it fit right away?

I ordered that last week, I was looking for some sort of organizer thingy in the armrest. I hated the little sliding tray that it came with.

Right after getting my CX-5 ~3 months ago bought one organizer on AMZN that looks almost identical and didn't fit, was as wide as the tabs inside the console that hold the sliding tray while this organizer is meant to go through them and sit right on top of the USB, SD, etc ports on the front of the console cage.

Ended up trimming in several areas, including the corners so it had less structural integrity and could be forced down through the tabs. Also, the flat piece with the CX-5 logo would still sit very high compared to the base of the console cage, thus loosing storage space. I ended cutting an access hole on that space and affixed a thin portion of plastic to the bottom of that rubber mat, liftng the mat allows me to store a few small to medium items under this organizer w/o going through the hassle of trying to remove it.

Spent about 4 hours tinkering around with a Dremmel and left a few scratch marks inside the console due to forced push in/out several tmes. Neeedless to say, asked a few basic questions to the seller, and about 4 pictures later got a full refund and item was removed from AMZN.

In summary, in the case the organizer I got -again, very similar looking to alpha's pic- it was a good idea poorly executed. Hope your install goes smoothly.

Looking forward to the fittment report.
"If the organizer fits, I will commit" ... or something to that effect.(drive)

Bummer if it doesn't fit, will have to see if I need to modify it or something. After looking around amazon there's a few different types of storage tray, got one off amazon to see how it works, it's different than the one I got from eBay and seems to sit higher and doesn't have the cutout for the ports. Will see how that works.

Bummer if it doesn't fit, will have to see if I need to modify it or something. After looking around amazon there's a few different types of storage tray, got one off amazon to see how it works, it's different than the one I got from eBay and seems to sit higher and doesn't have the cutout for the ports. Will see how that works.

Let us know. I was worried about the one without the cutouts as I have a usb stick, and if i wanted to use the charging port, would the tray hit it.

Let us know. I was worried about the one without the cutouts as I have a usb stick, and if i wanted to use the charging port, would the tray hit it.

Yea that was my worry too but from the looks of it there should be some space without hitting the USB, but we'll see. Wanted to give it a try while waiting for the eBay one to come in lol lol

Right after getting my CX-5 ~3 months ago bought one organizer on AMZN that looks almost identical and didn't fit, was as wide as the tabs inside the console that hold the sliding tray while this organizer is meant to go through them and sit right on top of the USB, SD, etc ports on the front of the console cage.

Ended up trimming in several areas, including the corners so it had less structural integrity and could be forced down through the tabs. Also, the flat piece with the CX-5 logo would still sit very high compared to the base of the console cage, thus loosing storage space. I ended cutting an access hole on that space and affixed a thin portion of plastic to the bottom of that rubber mat, liftng the mat allows me to store a few small to medium items under this organizer w/o going through the hassle of trying to remove it.

Spent about 4 hours tinkering around with a Dremmel and left a few scratch marks inside the console due to forced push in/out several tmes. Neeedless to say, asked a few basic questions to the seller, and about 4 pictures later got a full refund and item was removed from AMZN.

In summary, in the case the organizer I got -again, very similar looking to alpha's pic- it was a good idea poorly executed. Hope your install goes smoothly.
Thought a few pics could assist:
  • CX-5 center insert top with base cutout.jpg Shows the cut I made into the base so could store items under insert. Not a nice looking cut, but the mat -along a little piece of carton- covers it
  • CX-5 center console insert installed top.jpg Top view of the "hacked" insert installed, showing all mats in place
  • CX-5 center console insert installed front with std tray.JPG Front view of the "hacked" insert installed, showing standard tray on top
One of my USB devices is a 1st Gen iPod shuffle, which is wider than the USB default cutout on insert and as such wouldn't allow it to fully seat. Trimmed opening a bit to make it a little wider than the shuffle.

Last edited:
Why does EVERYTHING have to have "CX-5" on it. Really? The mats in the storage box? Enough already. LOL

OK, I now understand what Xcel64 had to trim.

This unit does NOT fit. It was molded to go into some other version of our center console. The pictures make you think that this bin sits inside the rails that are used for our sliding tray. No, it is made to sit on the outside edge of the entire center console. It was molded for the opening of the hole, or before the rails were added for our sliding tray. The rails for the sliding tray prevent this box from dropping in the hole.

It goes back to Amazon. No one else should waste their time unless they want to cut the entire lip off of it and squeeze it inside... but then it is not possible to lift it out.

thanks for saving us all the grief. sorry you had to deal with the nonsense for us.

Going through many pictures on eBay, i found a couple that show various storage bins dropped into CX-5 consoles. It appears that non-USA (maybe non North America) do NOT have that top sliding tray with the brackets. Or maybe it is the difference between GT and non-GT models - the rear vents that are part of the center storage console?

Anyway, something to keep in mind - if you have that sliding tray, I don't see any drop in bins that appear to fit.

@lowincash,

It fit where the sliding removable tray was? Would it work if you had a charger plugged in?

Yea it sits where the sliding tray used to sit. I'm not sure if it'll fit with a charger plugged into the outlet but it's okay with the USB cable that's plugged in and USB stick.

Back