Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2017-2018 CX5 Touring Taillights

Registered Member

2018 CX5 Touring

2017-2018 CX5 Touring Taillights

Has anyone else noticed how inadequate the non-led taillights are on the 2017/2018 CX5's? The taillight assembly in the liftgate doesn't light up at all and the only part that does light up is on the curved surface. Seeing how Mazda has all these nice safety features, it's amazing they didn't get the most critical safety feature right (visibility!).

Has anyone accessed the lift-gate taillight assembly in the 2017/2018 model? There isn't an access panel like the previous version had.

IMG_5812.jpg

'18 Mazda CX-5 Akera KG i-Activ AWD 2.5L In Sonic Silver

Quote Originally Posted by IRBS View Post
    Has anyone else noticed how inadequate the non-led taillights are on the 2017/2018 CX5's? The taillight assembly in the liftgate doesn't light up at all and the only part that does light up is on the curved surface. Seeing how Mazda has all these nice safety features, it's amazing they didn't get the most critical safety feature right (visibility!).

Has anyone accessed the lift-gate taillight assembly in the 2017/2018 model? There isn't an access panel like the previous version had.

IMG_5812.jpg
    You need to take it out from the outside that is undo the screws and take out the whole tail lamp assembly to change bulbs etc

You underestimate how bright it is...

Donated: $8

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Arrow 2017-2018 CX5 Touring Taillights

IMG_5812.jpg
    Yep you have to open the liftgate and see 2 screws holding the taillight assembly under a cover on the rain-channel. Not much you can do on small lighting area other than trying to swap them with GT's LED taillights or some aftermarket LED taillights which have bigger lighting area on taillight and brake-light.
    Last edited by yrwei52; 03-20-2018 at 05:22 AM.

Mazda CX-5 Akera

IMG_5812.jpg
    I'm not sure about that but I thought all the new gen CX-5 tail lights are LED with full signature style like the headlights. With all the models having LED headlights, I would imagine the tail lights would be LEDs also. What I do know is that the brake light is incandescent and isn't very visible.

Quote Originally Posted by m8te View Post
    I'm not sure about that but I thought all the new gen CX-5 tail lights are LED with full signature style like the headlights. With all the models having LED headlights, I would imagine the tail lights would be LEDs also. What I do know is that the brake light is incandescent and isn't very visible.
    It is in Oz land.

USA/Canada - lower specs are not LED for tail lights

2017 CX5 AWD Touring

I noticed the same thing on the Touring models. Mazda really skimped on the lights and threw in incandescent lights.

I upgraded my lights with LED brake lights. It made a BIG difference vs OEM incandescent. The 2 bulbs were $80. Not cheap but great quality @ 510 Lumens.

I also updated the license plate lights to LED to make the rear more visible.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Lbear; 03-20-2018 at 12:37 AM.

I think that's cheap actually. You could spend alot more.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

It's like every trim. Bottom ones have less features or specs so one spends more for higher trim to get it all

Registered Member

2018 CX5 Touring

Thanks for the info on removing the liftgate taillight assembly and the LED bulb info. Iíll let you know what solution I end up with as I canít see driving around with these subpar taillights. I donít mind the taillights not being LED but I do mind that such a small portion of the taillight lights up. If you compare the CX-5 (non-GT) to any other modern car you will see how small and inadequate the taillights are.

Thanks for the info on removing the liftgate taillight assembly and the LED bulb info. Iíll let you know what solution I end up with as I canít see driving around with these subpar taillights. I donít mind the taillights not being LED but I do mind that such a small portion of the taillight lights up. If you compare the CX-5 (non-GT) to any other modern car you will see how small and inadequate the taillights are.
    Here's instructions from the manual if you need it:

2017 CX5 AWD Touring

Thanks for the info on removing the liftgate taillight assembly and the LED bulb info. I’ll let you know what solution I end up with as I can’t see driving around with these subpar taillights. I don’t mind the taillights not being LED but I do mind that such a small portion of the taillight lights up. If you compare the CX-5 (non-GT) to any other modern car you will see how small and inadequate the taillights are.
    I agree. The quickest and easiest thing is to replace the bulbs with LEDs. Other than that, you would have to install GT taillights which is costly and involves more labor. Plus the LED plate lights help light up the back end.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Registered Member

2018 CX5 Touring

Since the liftgate portion of the taillight does NOT currently light up at all on the non-LED models, I'm curious to see if Mazda even ran the wires to this portion. I'll try to take off the assembly this weekend, but I don't see any screws for removal of this piece. The taillight section that is NOT on the liftgate looks to be easier to remove and the pages from the manual above are a help for that, thanks.

2017 CX5 AWD Touring

Since the liftgate portion of the taillight does NOT currently light up at all on the non-LED models, I'm curious to see if Mazda even ran the wires to this portion. I'll try to take off the assembly this weekend, but I don't see any screws for removal of this piece. The taillight section that is NOT on the liftgate looks to be easier to remove and the pages from the manual above are a help for that, thanks.
    Let me know what you find. It would be nice if the taillight portion in the liftgate has wiring but I doubt it.

That is true that the non-liftgate is easy to remove. Just a few screws and it pops out.

Registered Member
    Donated: $25

Mazda CX-5 GS 2018 AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Lbear View Post
    Let me know what you find. It would be nice if the taillight portion in the liftgate has wiring but I doubt it.

That is true that the non-liftgate is easy to remove. Just a few screws and it pops out.
    I had a quick look while the tailgate was up this evening. There looks to be an access panel for the lights in the tailgate on my model.
    IskiE

------

I have a blue box that travels in Time and Space, and occasionally relative dimensions.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast