Getting better MPG

Here's another thought that might make you feel a little less concerned about your commuting mileage.

If your round trip commute is [I'm assuming] about 20 miles, you're burning about a gallon a gas per day, spending say $2.40. If you had a car that got 30 mpg city, you'd be spending about $1.60 on gas. That's a difference of less than a buck a day.

For that 80 cents extra per day [more or less], you get to drive this super fine ride. As Mazdadude said, "there is no smiling when driving the prius". Or any other really high mileage vehicle. Unless you shell out a lot more money up front on the car.

So watch that mileage, which should increase as you add miles and the weather warms up. And be happy you chose a CX-5 GT, as close to a luxury car as you can get for under $35k.

You can get 55 mpg in a Mirage and smile though. Prius is just eh

At least it has Apple Carplay and Android Auto.

(dance)

For those who didn't want to read the C&D article, this sums it up:
"And its difficult to see this car as an object of anyones affection. There is basically nothing to make a driver happy to be at the helm of a Mirage, nothing to love."

(dance)

For those who didn't want to read the C&D article, this sums it up:
"And it’s difficult to see this car as an object of anyone’s affection. There is basically nothing to make a driver happy to be at the helm of a Mirage, nothing to love."

I don't even know wtf apple and Android carplay and auto are, and I'm still a bit rankled this weedeater powered egg on wheels has it and my cx5 even a current one isn't advanced enough.

Your cx5 also is tons faster than that old camaro, too, with its 9 second 0-60.

I see you're being sarcastic. Not in a million years. Stock 327 had about 212 HP, car was at least 1200 lbs lighter than CX-5.

Was also 10x more fun to drive, but no A/C, AM radio only and just a lap belt. If I had a 3 car garage I'd definitely think about picking one up to drive on the weekends.

I see you're being sarcastic. Not in a million years. Stock 327 had about 212 HP, car was at least 1200 lbs lighter than CX-5.

Was also 10x more fun to drive, but no A/C, AM radio only and just a lap belt. If I had a 3 car garage I'd definitely think about picking one up to drive on the weekends.

??

Actually the specs for curb weight list the 68 Camaro around 3150-3300 lbs, Are you saying the CX-5 weighs 4300lbs? Because the CX-5 is 3200-3500lbs.

Looking at the 0-60 specs, it looks like only the SS350 or above had the 0-60 to beat the cx-5

??

Actually the specs for curb weight list the 68 Camaro around 3150-3300 lbs, Are you saying the CX-5 weighs 4300lbs? Because the CX-5 is 3200-3500lbs.

Looking at the 0-60 specs, it looks like only the SS350 or above had the 0-60 to beat the cx-5

Time tends to cloud people's memory. That, and bad bias-ply tires. If he had the 210bhp 4-speed manual 327, he was running a 9+ second 0-60, presuming it was stock.

Fun car with a ton of nostalgia, and good competition for the Nissan Rogue from a stoplight dig, but not in the CX5's league.

??

I checked the curb weight on both vehicles, they're pretty close, Camaro was probably a few hundred pounds lighter, but it sure seemed much lighter. Mazda probably due to all the plastic. Anyway the Camaro seemed much more powerful. Maybe in the quarter mile they're close but the Camaro off the line would smoke the CX-5. Plus it had minimal pollution control, that was the first year they started adding stuff to control pollution.

I checked the curb weight on both vehicles, they're pretty close, Camaro was probably a few hundred pounds lighter, but it sure seemed much lighter. Mazda probably due to all the plastic. Anyway the Camaro seemed much more powerful. Maybe in the quarter mile they're close but the Camaro off the line would smoke the CX-5. Plus it had minimal pollution control, that was the first year they started adding stuff to control pollution.

You would have needed the SS with the 350 and manual. Its performance was near identical to the CX5, just a shade slower 0-60 and through the 1/4 mile

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2016-mazda-cx-5-25l-awd-test-review
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/1967-chevrolet-camaro-ss-350-archived-test-review

Except it handled worse and stopped wayyyy worse, got terrible economy, was much less safe, and...and...and...

Amazing that an NA 4-banger in a CUV is tearing it up with a '68 Camaro SS with the 350 and a 4-speed...technology!

Also remember that in 1968, hp was BRAKE horse power. Now we measure NET horse power. Big difference.

The Camaro was a lot more fun compared to the other cars available then, not now.

Back