2017~2024 New to forum, have a month-old CX-5

Car had $26,395 on the sticker, plus $995 for pinstripe, door edge guard, first maintenance, and some other odds and ends. Got it for $24,345 before taxes and all the stuff they tack on.

Congrats on the new car brother! Would you mind sharing some pictures of the pinstripe? I will be getting a 2018(Sports as well, not liking the 19' rim) around summer and just like all as much options as I can. Thanks!!

Loving the new car overall, and can't wait to add a few things. Here's a breakdown of the car so far:

If you've made it this far, you deserve a prize... Thanks for reading!
1. New-car fume you've been smelling should be normal. May be you're more sensitive against some off-gassing interior components. Have you experienced the same from previous new vehicles you purchased?

2. Seen this complain many times on more effort to close the last door on Gen-2 CX-5. We had a 2017 CX-5 Touring for the last 12 days as a loaner, wife and I didn't notice this. Keep in mind CX-5 cabin is not a "sealed" environment, as there're 2 big one-way exit vents at rear bottom corners. And if you set your climatic control as the outside air, there's an entrance vent where the air can also be escaped when you close the last door. If CX-5 cabin is really air-tight, how does the climate system let fresh air in when you set it to outside air? And the cabin becomes a dangerous place driving the car due to lack of fresh air.

3. Unfortunately you didn't notice the difference between power door locks with "remote keyless entry" and "Mazda Advanced Keyless Entry System". I believe it's difficult to upgrade from your Sport to the "Advanced" system. You could get all the OEM parts from advanced system but that would be too expensive. Finding an aftermarket system should be the only alternative if there's one available.

4. Based on people's comments here I believe your basic 6-speaker audio system is worse than previous 6-speaker system. The same I feel newer 10-speaker Bose with added tweeters and subwoofer is worse than my 9-speaker Bose other than a little better high notes. Adding a self-powered sub is always a common solution but most aftermarket sub is not small enough to put under the front seats. You should check into speaker upgrade base on Gen-1's 4/6-speaker system which should improve some audio quality:

Here is excellent write up by RG_Flyer who installed an aftermarket infotainment system into his 2016 CX-5 Sport. In addition to BlueTooth connection and color touch screen, I believe RG_Flyer also figured out a way to make steering wheel audio controls work with the system! (cool)

Finally! The correct parts for the 2016 CX-5 Sport:

5. Miscellaneous comments. Yep that round metal plate is to access fuel sending unit with fuel pump inside of fuel tank, and Bose sub is located in the spare-tire well. You can get all the parts for rear AC vents used on Touring and GT, again, the price would scare you off. Other things such as adding aftermarket fog lights with LED DRLs you should be able to find info here with a search.

6. Like DrElectron suggested, it seems you should get a Touring instead of a Sport just for Mazda Advanced Keyless Entry System and rear AC vents you really want. You can always replace leatherette with Lux Suede insert seat cover with Sport's cloth seat cover which is easier and cheaper to do.

7. Finally, I'd like to know what kind of price I'm going to get from you ⋯ ;)

I had the oil burn off smell for the first few days then it was gone. Thats normal and Ive had other cars with the same.

This smell is normal for brand new vehicles as they apparently coat the engine with a wax to protect it during shipping (while in the boat on sea for a month or two). It burns off after driving it for a week or so...

All interesting info. This weekend I am going to look at a 2017 for the wife.

Congrats on the new car brother! Would you mind sharing some pictures of the pinstripe? I will be getting a 2018(Sports as well, not liking the 19' rim) around summer and just like all as much options as I can. Thanks!!

Well, we got the 2018 Sport for less than the 2017 Touring. Only things missing on sport were leatherette/suede and rear vents. Perhaps the 2017 Touring had Mazda advanced keyless (proximity) entry, but not sure. Note that the 2018 Sport has single-push down/up on all windows as opposed to only single-push down/up on the driver's on the 2017 Touring (actually, not sure if it had single-push up, but I think it did). Maybe some came with the cargo cover, but check before you sign/agree to price. I don't recall any other differences. The safety package was the most important thing to me, and that my wife loved the 2017+ over how much she liked the 2016.

I saw some offers on Mazda's website for the 2017, but only $250 more than on the 2018, and the 2018 had 60-month 0% financing. Of course that's all in my zip code so your area may vary. I also forgot to go through Costco since it was a last minute/emergency purchase, but I hear that they give you a great pre-negotiated price with your local dealer. Not sure if that's true, but worth a try if you're a member. Plus 50% off one accessory at the dealer if you do buy the car.

I'll post some pictures of the car soon.

Wow, thanks for the detailed reply yrwei52.
1. Probably more sensitive, haven't bought new in 18 years.
2. That's true, when I was replying to someone who said it was super air-tight, I thought I should put it on outside air, but then realize it's not a switch anymore but a electronic setting. For all I know it reverts when car turned off. I'll see if it changes or at least see what mode things are when it is a problem.
3. I'm thinking non-OEM, haven't even seen the parts (maybe because I'd rather not have the button so I haven't looked).
4. Ah, so I'm not the only one. I'll do some research on alternative speakers before buying anything. But I've seen some 8" and maybe one or two 10" low-profile subs that may fit under the seat.
5. Figured that on plate. AC vents may be this part: https://www.parkmazdaoemparts.com/ which is an ok price if it is just that. I'll take that area apart first if my wife wants to make the ride more comfy for the back people.
6. Hmm, didn't think of that. Well, too late!
7. Hopefully I'll have some good contributions to the site to make up for these long posts!

Wow, thanks for the detailed reply yrwei52.
1. Probably more sensitive, haven't bought new in 18 years...

What were you driving before? I also just bought a soul red 2018 after having bought my last new car in 2000.

What were you driving before? I also just bought a soul red 2018 after having bought my last new car in 2000.

In January 2000 was my first new car, Mitsubishi Mirage. Nice, and it supposedly still runs fine, just poorly made interior. Then in January 2014 finally changed to a used 2012 Kia Optima EX with the works. Great car (other than warranty replacement of the engine). It spoiled me with the vented seats which are great here in hot Florida. So next car for me (as the CX-5 is for my wife) will likely be a Mazda 6. Hopefully the 2018 with ventilated leather isn't too much of a killer price! The other option is Mazda 6 Sport, but I have a feeling I'm going to dislike silly little things like I am with this CX-5.

In January 2000 was my first new car, Mitsubishi Mirage. Nice, and it supposedly still runs fine, just poorly made interior. Then in January 2014 finally changed to a used 2012 Kia Optima EX with the works. Great car (other than warranty replacement of the engine). It spoiled me with the vented seats which are great here in hot Florida. So next car for me (as the CX-5 is for my wife) will likely be a Mazda 6. Hopefully the 2018 with ventilated leather isn't too much of a killer price! The other option is Mazda 6 Sport, but I have a feeling I'm going to dislike silly little things like I am with this CX-5.
I love ventilated seats found on many vehicles including your previous 2012 Kia Optima EX. Unfortunately I believe Mazda has no plan to feature ventilated seats in any of its vehicles including Mazda6.

I love ventilated seats found on many vehicles including your previous 2012 Kia Optima EX. Unfortunately I believe Mazda has no plan to feature ventilated seats in any of its vehicles including Mazda6.

Ventilated seats will be available on the 2018 Mazda 6

Ventilated seats will be available on the 2018 Mazda 6
Yes, you're right! Ventilated seats will be available on top Signature trim for 2018 Mazda6!

attachment.php

IMG_0251.PNG

I wish Mazda would offer all the goodies from new Mazda6 to CX-5 as soon as possible ⋯

Yes, you're right! Ventilated seats will be available on top Signature trim for 2018 Mazda6!

attachment.php

View attachment 218839

I wish Mazda would offer all the goodies from new Mazda6 to CX-5 as soon as possible ⋯

Well I wish they'd get the Mazda 6 to the dealer as soon as possible so I can see what the goodies are and if I fall in love with it or not!

Back