Google says its the Clock Spring

GoGoMazda5

:
2009 Mazda 5 Sport
Hi guys, new member here that purchased a 2009 Mazda 5 with 126,000 miles on it for a little over $6,000. Wooo-hooo! For the 4 days we've owned it, it's been nothing but a dream. At about 7:30 pm today though, I crank it up for the first time since 8 this morning and turn the steering wheel to back out of my parking space and I hear it... Three clicks that sound and feel like they are coming from inside the steering wheel itself. This only happens when I turn the wheel to the right. Turning the wheel to the left is completely silent as it should be.
After my stomach rose back to its normal position, I had the bright idea to google what I thought I was experiencing and everything is pointing at this clock spring issue that appears to be fairly common.
Looking online I can get a replacement tomorrow for about $46. Not bad at all. But, how much should it cost to get something like this repaired at a auto repair shop.

Could easily be the clock spring, only way to tell for sure is to inspect it. Do the steering wheel functions all work correctly (cruise, horn, stereo control) ?
Call your favorite shop and ask them for a quote, some don't use customer supplied parts so don't buy anything unless they agree to use it.
If you choose to DIY, just be sure to disconnect the battery, pull any airbag related fuses and wait a few minutes before tearing into your steering wheel to avoid getting an airbag to the face.

Back