2015 city brake option but not working?

smckech1972

:
2015 CX-5 Touring
I have a MY2015, built 3/14. It is a touring model but has AFS, sunroof, etc. In the options, I see the city brake on/off. If I turn it off, a light comes on indicating that it is off. I do have the cluster around the rear view mirror. Last snow it also warned that the brake wouldn't work u too I cleared the snow off that portion of windshield.

With it on, it doesn't try to stop. I tried it on my other car parked and a wall at the carwash. Was going maybe 8mph.

Since my car appears to have more of the GT features like afs, is it possible that only a portion of the city brake came With that package bit the actual brake actuator isn't installed?

Basically seems like it should be there but doesn't do anything.

Also, I do not see the automatic cruise option either. When cruise is on, works like any car and I don't see the option to specify distance.

Anyone able to tell me what I can look at to be 100% sure it really has it installed? I do t want to go to the dealer saying there is a problem and they come back, umm you don't have it.

I bought this used, so that's why it's not clear.

Thanks

Last edited:
Do you have Xenon headlights? Anyway SCBS is not easy to test out. The vehicle speed is between 2~20 mph, and the object you're going to hit has to be metal. Paper box won't work.

Youre probably hitting the brakes yourself too soon. The older SCBS like what I had in my 14 waited till what felt like the absolute last second. I could never test it myself, it only triggered a handful of times over the few years I had it.

On the 17s you can adjust the sensitivity and I definitely feel its more sensitive than the older models.

Yes it has xenon for sure with afs. I let it go to about 6" before hitting my other car at 5mph. Then I hit the brake.

I wouldn't rely on it, but would like to know if I have a problem or maybe it's just not installed. Mine has more options than the standard touring I think.

Yes it has xenon for sure with afs. I let it go to about 6" before hitting my other car at 5mph. Then I hit the brake.

I wouldn't rely on it, but would like to know if I have a problem or maybe it's just not installed. Mine has more options than the standard touring I think.
Your 2015 CX-5 Touring should have Moonroof and Bose Audio Package and Touring Technology Package. According to the description of SCBS from Mazda, it's still possible you'll hit the object in front with SCBS. So never rely on SCBS just assume you don't have one while driving. Besides, it'd be better you don't see any SCBS related warning messages otherwise you either have to spend big money to fix it or you may have involved some front-end collision.

Mazda North American Operations said:
When driving at low speeds (approximately 4 - 30 km/h) a laser sensor mounted on the windsheild senses the car in front. If the system detects a risk of collision, it prepares the brake system to be ready to deliver maximum stopping power when the driver brakes. If the driver does not take evasive action such as braking or steering, the system simultaneously applies the brakes and reduces engine output, with the aim of avoiding the collision or reducing the severity of impact.

Don't test it by driving at a wall. That is not how it works. It will happily let you crash into a wall. Think about it - if you tried to park in your garage, or any tight spot, it would activate all the time.

It's meant to keep you from hitting things that suddenly appear - like a pedestrian. It also will not activate if it thinks you are already braking or steering - it's a very sudden stop which can be dangerous for both you and other vehicles around you. Truly a device of last resort.

That said some people have inadvertently tested it when a parking gate arm moves up as they're exiting a carpark. Gate is suddenly in view as they are accelerating, and it will activate.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I guess I'll assume it has it for a resale value point of view. I have bumper to bumper extended so maybe ill have it checked out. I was trying to emulate the YouTube demo of it where the vehicle slowly comes up to an obstacle and stops about a foot or so before it would hit.

Seems weird to have the city brake but not have the intelligent cruise since they seem to use the same sensors.

Really thankful this forum exists as well.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I guess I'll assume it has it for a resale value point of view. I have bumper to bumper extended so maybe ill have it checked out. I was trying to emulate the YouTube demo of it where the vehicle slowly comes up to an obstacle and stops about a foot or so before it would hit.

Seems weird to have the city brake but not have the intelligent cruise since they seem to use the same sensors.

Really thankful this forum exists as well.
If youve checked those videos for SCBS, you should have seen some SCBS equipped vehicle would hit objects including human in a Volvo. Mazda has said the laser sensor for SCBS behind the top windshield has limited function can only recognize car shaped metal object, not anything else including pedestrian.

Mazda didnt offer adaptive cruise control for 2015 CX-5. 2016 CX-5 is the first year you can have one. Adaptive cruise control requires additional Forward Sensing Camera (FSC) next to laser sensor SCBS uses on the windshield, and a radar on the front grille behind Mazda emblem. These sensors are also used by Smart Brake Support (SBC) and (auto) High Beam Control (HBC) which are also missing from you 2015 CX-5.

Back