Paint protection like simoniz glasscoat

:
2016 CX5 GT
Hey I’m curious if anyone’s invested in a paint protectant package from a dealer or other third party on their Mazda. I’ve read a few concerns posted across the internet somewhat criticizing the durability on the paint used on their Mazda. I just got a 2016 CX5 Grand Touring in Titanium Flash Moca. When it’s clean it looks phenomenal. It was a one owner used car so the paint isn’t 100% perfect. There are a few fine swirl marks and tiny paint chips on door edges here and there if your really looking at it.

When my wife bought her Pathfinder, the used car dealer sold her a Simoniz glass coat protection package. We opted for it since we have two young kids and as you may know kids are not easy on cars. The dealer is actually reapplying it to her passages side right now as I wait since we had her side repaired from a slight side swipe hit and run.

Is it worth a paint protection product like this, or something similar and would you recommend it to ensure the longevity of the factory paint?

https://www.simoniz.com/dealerships/glasscoat/

Hey I’m curious if anyone’s invested in a paint protectant package from a dealer or other third party on their Mazda. I’ve read a few concerns posted across the internet somewhat criticizing the durability on the paint used on their Mazda. I just got a 2016 CX5 Grand Touring in Titanium Flash Moca. When it’s clean it looks phenomenal. It was a one owner used car so the paint isn’t 100% perfect. There are a few fine swirl marks and tiny paint chips on door edges here and there if your really looking at it.

When my wife bought her Pathfinder, the used car dealer sold her a Simoniz glass coat protection package. We opted for it since we have two young kids and as you may know kids are not easy on cars. The dealer is actually reapplying it to her passages side right now as I wait since we had her side repaired from a slight side swipe hit and run.

Is it worth a paint protection product like this, or something similar and would you recommend it to ensure the longevity of the factory paint?

https://www.simoniz.com/dealerships/glasscoat/

There are many brands of ceramic coatings on the market. There are DIY options, but unless you are going to polish and buff your car first (after many other steps) you will want to have a professional detail shop install the ceramic coating.

These coatings make your car easier to clean and act like a longer lasting wax. They will NOT protect from paint chips, and may not protect from swirl marks - it depends what made them.

My personal opinion is that it is not worth the money. The resale of the car will not be improved by doing a ceramic coating. But it will make the car easier to clean.

Right having wax on it makes it easier to clean. To me those are just a slightly better wax. Still going to wear off too.

Right having wax on it makes it easier to clean. To me those are just a slightly better wax. Still going to wear off too.
Yea but 2-1/2 years after having a professional install CQuartz UK on my CX-5, my paint still looks like CQuartz was just installed yesterday. Sheds water like you wouldn’t believe and dirt Washes right off. All I’ve done is hand wash it every few weeks. Well worth it to me.

I think most of those dealer installed coatings are way over priced for what they are. When I bought my car they wanted $2000 to apply their 10 year warranty paint coating product. For half of that I could have gone to a professional installer of something like Cquartz Professional or Optimum Opti-Pro which both have a 10year warranty. I opted instead to do a consumer version of the coating and used Optimum Gloss Coat. It's been 3 years and has held up very well over that time. The consumer versions are pretty easy to apply if you prep the car properly and take your time to do it right. The Pro coatings need to be installed by a professional installer since they are so hard, once dried, they can only be removed by wet sanding. I used Gtechniq CSL topped with EXO V3 on my wifes car and that claims 5 years of durability. Cost about $120 for the kit they call CSL Black and took me a weekend to prep, polish and then apply the coatings. It was a used car so polishing took 2 stages to get it to where I wanted it. I just washed it this weekend with CarPro Reset intensive shampoo and the coating came back to life after being beat up all winter long.

Where can I find someone around me that would do it professionally? What should I be googling. I tried auto detailing near me but none of them specify ceramic coatings.

google Cquartz professional and go to their website and find their list on certified installers, same goes for Opti-coat pro, Optimum polymer Technologies and search for qualified installers

google Cquartz professional and go to their website and find their list on certified installers, same goes for Opti-coat pro, Optimum polymer Technologies and search for qualified installers

Thanks, that yielded results. Theresa place about 27 miles from here that Does it.

Price starts at $1780 3+ days, extra $300 to pull wheels and coat inner wheel and calipers.

Thanks, that yielded results. Theresa place about 27 miles from here that Does it.

Price starts at $1780 3+ days, extra $300 to pull wheels and coat inner wheel and calipers.

It's a very labor intensive process, Most likely 2-3 stages of polishing the paint to perfection, then wiping the car down so It's 100% free of polishing oils and residue, then actually coating the car. $1800 seems a bit high to me but I don't know your market, around me in Wisconsin that service goes for around $1200 give or take a bit.

You could always look at other detailers for a consumer version of coatings, something like Gtechniq CSL or Cquartz

What about the product called Top Coat I see videos all the time on Facebook. For only $60 you spray it on and buff it in. It looks pretty easy and it’s only a $60 experiment so I may try that first.

Hopefully Mother Nature wakes up and realizes it’s spring. Might get 12” of snow tomorrow. We’ll see.

What about the product called Top Coat I see videos all the time on Facebook. For only $60 you spray it on and buff it in. It looks pretty easy and it’s only a $60 experiment so I may try that first.

Hopefully Mother Nature wakes up and realizes it’s spring. Might get 12” of snow tomorrow. We’ll see.

Top coat is just a highly marketed product that has flooded social media. On the detailing forums it doesn't get mentioned very often. I'd prefer to stick with a known product. There are SiO2 sprays that do basically what topcoat does but they only last about 12 months or so. I think you'd be better off going with an actual coating from a reputable Company like CarPro, Pinnacle, Gtechniq, Optimum, Gyeon, McKees's that sort of thing.

I've used Optimum Gloss Coat, CarPro Cquartz and Gtechnig CSL. Of the three I think CSL is my favorite so far, seems to be holding up very well and looks amazing on the car.

Thanks for your reply. I’m going to do a bit of googling on all the products you mentioned. I think it’s a fascinating art (professional detailing) and open to learn more about it. The top coat I mentioned IS heavily marketed. I see it on social media all the time and watched some of the videos. What got my attention is the ease of the application. People even used it to seal granite countertops.

Though marketing is everything. With enough of a marketing budget you can sell just about anything. I’ll go check out the other product mentions today.

On my Soul Red 16 CX-5 GT I got the Opti-coat Pro+, all in when everything was said and done it cost around $1K. Really nice when it was done, didn't have to wax it to keep the paint looking like it just had been waxed. That being said, when I traded it in the hood looked like someone had splattered white paint across it due to how many chips there were. I know nothing can protect against chips, though the film seems to have the best resistance. If I was going to do it again I'd spend the money on the self-healing film, at the least on the front, hood, and side mirrors.

If I could find a touchless wash i might get a meguiars ultimate fast finish. Not sure about its 1 year life but if it works for 5 months and I don't have to hand wash it that could be good. At $9 its worth a shot. No way dropping a grand on any car under $40,000 for two years paint protection.

If I could find a touchless wash i might get a meguiars ultimate fast finish. Not sure about its 1 year life but if it works for 5 months and I don't have to hand wash it that could be good. At $9 its worth a shot. No way dropping a grand on any car under $40,000 for two years paint protection.

Yeah, I agree. Looking back now it was an impulsive decision I made to 'protect' my new car that I loved. Also I didn't plan on letting it go in five years, much less two. But alas, seeing it after that final wash before I traded it in I was just so bummed out, wished I could get the 1k back. But like I said, nothing will protect against rock chips, no one warranties their sealant products against rock chips. So it depends on what you're looking for, you want to look nice and clean and shiny without having to do a wash every week then getting a decent wax is for sure the way to go. If I was ever going to go the 'protectant' route again it would be the self healing films, but since nothing is guaranteed, still unsure if it's worth the price.

Yeah, I agree. Looking back now it was an impulsive decision I made to 'protect' my new car that I loved. Also I didn't plan on letting it go in five years, much less two. But alas, seeing it after that final wash before I traded it in I was just so bummed out, wished I could get the 1k back. But like I said, nothing will protect against rock chips, no one warranties their sealant products against rock chips. So it depends on what you're looking for, you want to look nice and clean and shiny without having to do a wash every week then getting a decent wax is for sure the way to go. If I was ever going to go the 'protectant' route again it would be the self healing films, but since nothing is guaranteed, still unsure if it's worth the price.
I just wash once every month or two. Cure ever so often. I will surely like idea of cleaning waxing and spray paint protection. Megs UFF says wash with water and dry. That can be done easily.

That price seems high to me. Especially if in US$.
Does that include outer face of wheels? Even if it does, still too high IMO.
Keeping the car for a few days is not unusual FYI. There's quite a bit involved in the process... Mostly the prep, which is very dependent on the current state of the paint.

The fellow that did mine sold me some GTechniq for the wheels which I did myself. Time consuming but not difficult and very consumer friendly product (vs what he used on the paint).

I agree, I use the Meguiar's ultimate quik wax once in the spring, summer, and fall. It's very easy to apply and buff and makes waxing your Mazda effortless . It takes me about an hour to get the job done. Just get a couple of beer and turn your music on and you're done before you know it. Also I recommend waxing your front bumper every time you wash the car during the "buggy" months. This makes washing the bugs off the the front of your CX5 a breeze.

I agree, I use the Meguiar's ultimate quik wax once in the spring, summer, and fall. It's very easy to apply and buff and makes waxing your Mazda effortless . It takes me about an hour to get the job done. Just get a couple of beer and turn your music on and you're done before you know it. Also I recommend waxing your front bumper every time you wash the car during the "buggy" months. This makes washing the bugs off the the front of your CX5 a breeze.

Wait, it takes you an hour to do the quick wax? Even with a beer break every 5 minutes, you should be able to do that in less than 10 minutes.
Or are you talking, wash, beer, dry, beer, quick wax, beer. (cheers)

Im really confused at what your saying here? What makes you think UFF doesnt have to be hand washed? Its not going to stop an automatic car wash from marring the finish. And what coating do you think costs $1000 and only gives you 2 years protection? Any pro level coating is going to last at least 10 years. Its the consumer level coatings that last 2-5 years but they only cost around $100 for the product.

Back