2014 Touring FWD doesn't run smooth

I have 56K miles on my 2014 CX-5 Touring FWD. I have had no issues since I bought it and did regular oil changes (every 7-9K miles). I recently notice that the car doesn't run smooth now. I drive in stop-n-go traffic in California Bay Area often. Or even on daily errands, when I slow down and then press the gas pedal, the car doesn't smoothly accelerate.

There is a fraction of second lag it seems and then seems to suddenly get more power. Or it appears as if the gas pedal is hard. Or if I ease my foot off the gas pedal then it doesn't gracefully slow down. My gas mileage has also reduced though granted that traffic is worse these days. I used to get 30-31 mpg in mixed driving conditions but only get 27-28 mpg. Things are roughly the same.

So I am wondering if something is going wrong? I do not go to expensive gas stations and feel that I buy from top tier gas stations but may be buying from cheap ones for sure (unbranded ones). Can I figure something out before bringing to the dealer and/or local service shop and have them charge me $$ to just diagnose?

Should I try adding something like BG44K or similar to try and see if it makes any improvements? Thanks for reading my long post and your suggestions/advice.

Maybe has something to do with the accelerator being out of sync with something. Maybe look around the pedal area and make sure there's no dirt or debris causing the pedal to bind up.

just get onto the highway at night or when traffic is mild, and using third gear keep the pedal pinned to the floor until the engine reaches redline. slow down a little, and then repeat another 1-2 more times and then drive the car normally again. after this, just be sure to regularly floor the car to keep things clean. I understand this is not part of your driving habits, but it is important.

So I tried this for the first time today. I put Techron in the gas tank and then went to a highway in 3rd gear and floored it till I reached redline 6000 rpm. I didn't have the heart to actually touch or go in the red zone but barely touched it. After maybe 30 sec, I definitely smelled something burning and I slowly eased down and shifted to 4th and then 5th. I did this again a bit later and this time though I didn't smell anything. Lets see if I notice any improvement in next few days as I drive to/fro work.

BTW - I did look near the pedal and didn't see anything stuck there. Great suggestion by madar. Thanks!

So I tried this for the first time today. I put Techron in the gas tank and then went to a highway in 3rd gear and floored it till I reached redline 6000 rpm. I didn't have the heart to actually touch or go in the red zone but barely touched it. After maybe 30 sec, I definitely smelled something burning and I slowly eased down and shifted to 4th and then 5th. I did this again a bit later and this time though I didn't smell anything. Lets see if I notice any improvement in next few days as I drive to/fro work.

BTW - I did look near the pedal and didn't see anything stuck there. Great suggestion by madar. Thanks!
Have you checked your oil level before youre doing this? What kind of oil and oil filter youre using and how old are they?

It may not be a DI design, but my 1998 Honda CR-V with 180,588 miles has never seen any rpms above 5,000、not to mention anything near the 6,250 rpm red line in its service life so far. During recent years most of time the engine revs under 3,000 rpm in city driving environment. It has never had any issues on carbon buildup or clogged fuel injectors. I credit it to the use of top-tier gas since its first tank!

That sounds kind of abusive to be holding it at 6000rpm for 30 seconds...

If the gas and fuel additive doesn't result in better response look at getting the throttle body cleaned.

+1 on the throttle body. I forgot all about that. First due the performance acceleration pulls and if that doesn't completely fix it then do the TB cleaning. JMO. Ed

Dittos on the throttle body. I am now reminded of these same exact symptoms on earlier cars and TB cleaning did the trick.

MAF is Mass Air Flow. Not sure what SD is.

MAF's are a big problem on Nissans, always need cleaning.

It seems that there is some improvement. The Techron + revv'ing the engine high seems to have improved - perhaps it is placebo effect but my ride to kids' school, work and grocery etc. felt smoother and less stickiness/hiccup. It wasn't too bad earlier and the improvement might be slight but I am happy so far. Thanks everyone. I will report back after a week or so.

It seems that there is some improvement. The Techron + revv'ing the engine high seems to have improved - perhaps it is placebo effect but my ride to kids' school, work and grocery etc. felt smoother and less stickiness/hiccup. It wasn't too bad earlier and the improvement might be slight but I am happy so far. Thanks everyone. I will report back after a week or so.
Lpoks like it's going to the right direction. Check your gas mileage at next fill-up and see if it improves too.

Back