Bought 05 hatch $1000 needs trans HELP

Willjo422

:
2005 Mazda 3 hatchback
Hi new here 1st post I'll try to keep it quick
Just bought a 05 Mazda 3 gt hatchback 2.3L 4sp auto with 115K miles clean inside and out from my uncle all for $1000 BUT he tells me he thinks the transmission is going to go soon it shift hard almost like it is holding back the engine and the at light is on.

So any solutions other then check fluid and trans flush dropping the pan, heard about reflash the ecu, update or replace the tcm and something about a pcm have no idea what any of that means but other than that any other thoughts?
And last should I just look for a replacement transmission used was told this year AT isn't any good anyone know any good places to find good used Transmissions online or something and could I put a newer transmission in it from like a 07 5sp auto? I mean I only paid $1000 for it and it's so clean and not alot miles but I'm not trying to spend alot fixing the trans.

1 more thing he said there some electrical problem with the horn and turn signal like he has to hit the horn for the light to work or something weird like that idk anyone hear anything like that?
I know that's alot but I was told this is where to go to ask so here I am thanks ahead for the reply and ur time

Not a Mazda 3 guy, used to be Mazdaspeed Protege guy until I sold it recently but I think I might be able to help you here. For one, what you're telling me sounds like an mechanical problem and not an electrical problem although the best way to know for sure is 1) check and see if there are any codes, 2) Actually drop the transmission and check for metal particles ( I mean big ones), which I would recommend you let a transmission shop do. Honestly, it sounds to me that your transmission needs to be rebuilt, which depending on the shop can be anywhere from $1000 to $3000. IIRC, if you take it to the Mazda stealership they'd probably just replace it with a factory rebuilt unit.

Honestly you got a heck of a deal for a 2.3L even if its an auto so you would still come out ahead if you were to pay that extra $$$ for trans rebuild or a replacement so I would probably take it to a reputable transmission shop and get it diagnosed.

As for the electrical issue, it sounds like a possible short. I'd start at the fuse box and work my way back to the horn/turn signal. I've even had issues with the combination switch (which includes the turn signal) going out in my old Ford Probe, which was a fairly simple fix with a unit from a Pullapart. If you have access to a Pullapart or similar, you could probably pick up a combo switch and go ahead and replace it and see if it fixes it.

Thanks yea I was thinking that either way if I had to replace the trans I would come out ok considering I only paid $1000 for it but that's just bc it's my uncle but I'm still hoping that it's something like the tcm or something other then replacing the trans at least right now until I can save up to get a rebuilt one if I have to replace it now I'd have to grit my teeth and buy a used one don't have the money to get one rebuilt but thanks for the input I appreciate it.

I have to wonder why the trans would fail at such low miles. Did your uncle ever have the fluid replaced? What color is it? My 89 MX6 GT had the original auto transmission at 160,000 miles and it was still perfect except for some gasket seepage (which is to be expected after 25 years). I changed the fluid every 2 years, since 1997.
What if there is a stuck solenoid? It'd be a shame if you replaced the whole trans if that were the case.

Yeah that's what I was thinking I would hate to pay so much for replacing the trans and that not be the problem.

And I'm not sure about the trans fluid maintenance I'll have to ask but the fluid is dark brown I was told that doing a trans flush is a big no no for the Mazda 3

One thing I keep finding is the tcm failing in alot of 3's BUT my 05 4sp auto I don't think has the tcm I think it has it in the ECU I was thinking maybe the ECU needs reflash.
Trying to narrow down everything before just buying a trans will end up expensive in its own so I'm in between right now any more thoughts I'd appreciate it thanks

The trans fluid is actually not bad a dark red light brown at most but the trans doesn't seem to me to be that bad, the car vibrates alot during acceleration and especially in deceleration when I let off the gas and it seems like the engine is bogged down but as far as shifting it actually shifts fine when it goes in reverse it goes in kinda rough and vibrates more I think my uncle feeling the vibration and everything maybe thought the trans was going but idk.

I have 3 codes right now p0442 EVAP LEAK
P2187 Too lean at idle bank 1 and a o2 sensor faulty AND I know the passenger engine mount is bad and probably the rear also I'm hoping that with the codes and mounts being bad is what's making the vibration and holding the engine back bc those r easy fixes.

A bad engine mount can certainly cause vibration.
Regarding the transmission, a good rule of thumb is that if you don't know how often the fluid was replaced or when it was replaced last, do a drain and fill, a couple of times over the course of 1-2 thousand miles.

Back