What the hell just happened???

Mine does it now and again. If you are following a car that is turning off, you tend to subconsciously anticipate the turn and allow yourself to get closer than you would normally. The car ant make that distinction so it does what it’s been programmed to do. It might be an irritation but it does save a lot of accidents too.

Exactly. Better safe than sorry but in this case, shouldn't have done it at all as the car up front was quite a distance away

Theres sensitivity options for the scabs in the infotainment make sure its on like medium or low or your preference

I wonder what litigation would exist and on whose behalf, were you to be rear-ended during rush hour in a busy city where following distances are close by norm.
Good question!

Perhaps giant eagle came swooping down to catcha rabbit and the CX-5 was like "forget this I'm stopping".

Doubt it would matter. The hitter pays the hittee unless there are extraordinary circumstances. Rear ending doesn't qualify, even in a car with "safety features". Failing to stop behind someone who stops abruptly for any reason would be considered "following too closely".

Haha, Hitter and hittee. Love it.

But yes, failing to stop is following too closely. I tailgate at times and I accept this.

just for fun, i read this shortly after it was posted and it happened in the same manner as the OP the next day. Then yesterday i was driving and someone turned left in front of me. They didnt enter the median turn lane all the way but i slowed down and made a slight move to avoid them. The Mazda had other ideas as it completely stopped the damn car and had enough force that i lurched forward and shifted into neutral because my hand was on the shifter. The lady behind me saw what i was doing and maintained her speed as we were plenty clear. She about rear ended me from the car coming to a complete stop. scared the hell out of me.

I turn the system to the lowest setting back after the first one, but something upset the car this time. I am going to the dealer to see what can be done on Saturday. I do not like this feature at all.

This is the second thread I've read on this forum of this "smart brake" issue. Kinda makes me appreciate my 2016 which doesn't have this, though it does have the smart city brake support feature.

So just to confirm, can this feature be turned off? Not saying it is a fix, just asking.

This is the second thread I've read on this forum of this "smart brake" issue. Kinda makes me appreciate my 2016 which doesn't have this, though it does have the smart city brake support feature.

So just to confirm, can this feature be turned off? Not saying it is a fix, just asking.
Yes it can. I have mine turned off in the settings. Haven't had the issue since. I still get the brake warning but the car doesn't act now.

If you ride the brakes lightly in that situation [or any other time], it will override SCB.
Be smarter than the car!

Same happened to me. I just changed the SCBS setting to "medium" and it has not happened again.

Off the accelerator didn't work for me. I'll try the brake thing as well. I'm guessing the system also factors in steering input and vehicle trajectory.

Since getting the car in June 2017 and driving 11,000 miles, we've had the automatic braking kick in about 6 times. Every time it's because I'm following someone closely before hopping over to the next lane, or going around someone who is stationary trying to turn in an intersection. In negotiating NYC traffic, distances between cars are less, and the car thinks that I'm going to hit stuff even though I am (or was) fully in control of the situation.

I'm still leaving it on for the chance that it'll save me one day...

Is this happening mainly to those who have the settings set to minimum distance?

I set mine one step back from the longest distance. I have yet to have the system kick in yet I have seen the flashing brake sign in the HUD.

Back