What the hell just happened???

:
2021 Acura RDX
I have a 2017 GT. The vehicle currently has 7,500 miles on it. On my way home from work, I was behind a guy that was turning right (he was quite a ways up the road.). I was going about 25mph, and all of the sudden my car brakes as hard as it could, throwing me forward. It did beep, and something popped up on the dashboard screen, but I wasn't able to read it. It brakes so hard that my tires locked up and skid.

I have never had this happen before. Was it just a fluke? Do I need to take it to Mazda? I thought maybe something was in the road, so I went around the block and there was nothing. I checked the front of my vehicle, under, etc. I don't see anything. While driving around the block everything seemed ok.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks much!

Sounds like Smart Brake Support kicked in thinking an accident was imminent

It does get sensitive. I’ve had the alert pop up a couple of times in that same situation and now I space myself a bit further back as a result. Maybe that in itself was not a bad idea to begin with.

Make sure your camera and radar medallion are clean.
If it happens again, have the dealer check it out.
If it doesn't, chalk it up to s*** happens.
What you couldn't read on the HUD was B R A K E !

Your ABS didn't work either? You locked up? Dat ain't rite!
Sounds like a massive car brain fart.

Take it to the dealer. Have them check it out to make sure everything's good. Don't wait for a "next time". Next time something catastrophic might happen if there's something wrong.

Mine does it now and again. If you are following a car that is turning off, you tend to subconsciously anticipate the turn and allow yourself to get closer than you would normally. The car ant make that distinction so it does what it’s been programmed to do. It might be an irritation but it does save a lot of accidents too.

Mine does it now and again. If you are following a car that is turning off, you tend to subconsciously anticipate the turn and allow yourself to get closer than you would normally. The car ant make that distinction so it does what it’s been programmed to do. It might be an irritation but it does save a lot of accidents too.

I wonder what litigation would exist and on whose behalf, were you to be rear-ended during rush hour in a busy city where following distances are close by norm.

It happened on my 2016. Same scenario. Car in front was making right turn and it freaked out and jammed the brakes on me.

That's why we are NOWHERE close to having self driving cars. It requires properly painted lanes (white and yellow stripes) and perfect highways. The tech is way more advanced than the actual streets. It's not the tech that will slow down release of self driving cars, it's the road infrastructure.

Let alone, what about snow, fog or rain conditions? My 2016 would freak in fog & snow and display alerts for an obstructed camera and sensors.

It might be an irritation but it does save a lot of accidents too.

This is the key. It would be wonderful if it worked flawlessly, but few systems that complex do. If it prevents more accidents than it causes, it's a net positive by definition. Little consolation if it fails for YOU!

I wonder what litigation would exist and on whose behalf, were you to be rear-ended during rush hour in a busy city where following distances are close by norm.

Doubt it would matter. The hitter pays the hittee unless there are extraordinary circumstances. Rear ending doesn't qualify, even in a car with "safety features". Failing to stop behind someone who stops abruptly for any reason would be considered "following too closely".

Happened on my 2018 but no braking. A car was turning left from in front of me but it took him a long time to get to the center and out of my way. As I got closer a yellow box appeared in my HUD saying "BRAKE". I thought, cool but I was in control, the system did not brake on its own.

Last edited:
Back