Confused between Cx9 and GX460

Thats interesting- short falls like what? I know nothing could be perfect but still what kind of niggles have you observed? Did you feel it underpowered anytime or something else? I didnt see any issues like body roll or lack of tech features other than missing Apple car play and android auto during my test drive.

I always look at base price when comparing cars. The base price for CX-9 is ~32K. It is 52K for the GX. That 20K difference comes in better detail in construction, better steel, better materials all around and a better dealer experience.

Thats interesting- short falls like what? I know nothing could be perfect but still what kind of niggles have you observed? Did you feel it underpowered anytime or something else? I didnt see any issues like body roll or lack of tech features other than missing Apple car play and android auto during my test drive.

The lack of AA and ACP seems to be a big thing for the majority. It's not important to me at all, but Mazda has been promising it for over a year now.

By falling short, I'm talking about features and things that were not included, that would truly make it a function-specific SUV.

For example, to truly make it a luxury SUV like the GX, it would need things like power folding mirrors, a 360-degree camera, ventilated seats, passenger seat memory settings, panoramic roof, or a higher-end audio system.

To truly make it a sport SUV like the GC SRT, it needs a more powerful engine/drivetrain option, paddle shifters, an LSD, and an even better suspension system with better components (bigger brakes/rotors, thicker sway bars, better dampers and springs).

To truly make it an all terrain SUV like the LX, it would need stuff like crawl control, better height clearance, adaptive variable suspension, better towing capabilities, 4WD instead of AWD, and a standard tow hitch.

Instead, the CX-9 seems to take bits and pieces from the different types of SUVs to create its own package that, for most, is a happy medium. Personally, if the CX-9 had a more high-end audio system, power folding mirrors, passenger seat memory, 4WD, 100hp more, and bigger brakes/rotors and an upgraded front and rear sway bar, it would be absolutely perfect for me. The issue is that adding that stuff increases the cost, reduces fuel mileage, and costs more to maintain, so I managed my expectations, and I'm very, very happy with what I have in the 2018 CX-9 Signature.

Hope that clears my previous statement up for you :)

Instead, the CX-9 seems to take bits and pieces from the different types of SUVs to create its own package that, for most, is a happy medium. Personally, if the CX-9 had a more high-end audio system, power folding mirrors, passenger seat memory, 4WD, 100hp more, and bigger brakes/rotors and an upgraded front and rear sway bar, it would be absolutely perfect for me. The issue is that adding that stuff increases the cost, reduces fuel mileage, and costs more to maintain, so I managed my expectations, and I'm very, very happy with what I have in the 2018 CX-9 Signature.

I agree 100% with this ^^. Well said.

Everyone has unique needs and the CX-9 Signature meets my needs 98% of the time. For the price, it is the perfect choice for our family.
Are there better SUV/CUVs out there - for sure. Do they cost more? - You bet.

Mazda added some nice high-end, useful, touches in the Signature trim that take it above the level of other non-luxury SUV options, yet the sticker price remained very attractive.
The nice MPG rating is also a key advantage for many buyers who would never need a high powered towing SUV.

Most luxury options in the same size/class are at least $10k more expensive and they don't necessarily offer more, unless you get them fully loaded and then the price difference jumps to $20k or more. That's a lot of money.
Look at well optioned MDX, ML350, RXL 350 or Q7 2.0T and you will see what i mean.

I think many have chimed in with many valid points on this comparison.

OP, the only thing I'd add is to keep note of towing limitations from the CX-9. From a drive-ability standpoint, this may also be big deal, given that you are coming from a large vehicle. If I was at the ~$50k price point, to me, some decent towing capability would be a must.

Back