Confused between Cx9 and GX460

simer86

:
CX9
I know its a stupid confusion but really cant help it, they both share different platforms, different engine types etc. but with current dealer deals they are costing almost the similar, cx9 signature vs gx460 premium with negligible up/down. I already own 2017 rx350 and pretty satisfied with the overall comfort and performance apart from numb handling which I know would be overcome by cx9 but at the same time I love the gx460 ruggedness and body on frame design and not to mention the evergreen resale values!

Someone please help me making a decision here!

PS: I know I would be spending extra money on overall fuel consumption with GX 460 and though I would love going occasional off-road however looking at my job schedule cant consider that a factor to make a decision!

I'm not sure many would be able to help here, as it seems like you've considered almost everything already. With that said:

GX makes more sense with regard to utility. Off-road capabilities, better towing capacity, presumably better cargo space as well.
GX also has the Lexus reputation to stand on. I see plenty of older GXs on the road.

CX-9 has excellent handling and good performance, which is great for daily commutes and city driving.
CX-9 also has the option to use regular gas instead of premium, and will get better mileage.

If you have the money for the additional costs and feel that those extra costs are worth having the ability to tow/off-road etc, then I would go with the GX. Just keep in mind that it will likely handle slightly worse than your RX350. Your best bet would be to test drive both. From that Mazda test drive you'll be able to decide for yourself whether the handling improvements are worth it or not.

I don't get it. The GX460 Premium starts at $56K. The CX-9 Signature, with nothing added, can be had for 40K. If you are getting 16K off a GX460, buy it and don't look back.

Msrp for signature is $45k and GX460 is $53k however they have huge incentives and adding my loyalty bonus I would be around the same as signature would cost (may be $1k up or down) and yes- I would miss on all safety features adaptive cruise, emergency stop blah blah but I would have more rugged body on frame vehicle.

But still in delimma!

Thank you for your honest opinion!

Honestly my confusion started after the test drive itself , which is funny though! Ive test driven both or even more like x3/x5 etc

Both vehicles have different drive for sure I like cx9 but not somehow not to an extent where Im dying to buy that and somewhere the worm of an off-road beast (though I would hate to roll it in mud) is also biting me deep inside. I dont know what to do lol

Thank you for your honest opinion!

Honestly my confusion started after the test drive itself , which is funny though! I’ve test driven both or even more like x3/x5 etc

Both vehicles have different drive for sure I like cx9 but not somehow not to an extent where I’m dying to buy that and somewhere the worm of an off-road beast (though I would hate to roll it in mud) is also biting me deep inside. I don’t know what to do lol

Sounds like you'd be getting a great deal on the GX, and it sounds like you really want it anyway. I think you'd be happier in the GX!

Msrp for signature is $45k and GX460 is $53k however they have huge incentives and adding my loyalty bonus I would be around the same as signature would cost (may be $1k up or down) and yes- I would miss on all safety features adaptive cruise, emergency stop blah blah but I would have more rugged body on frame vehicle.

But still in delimma!

The true car price for the GX is 53K and the CX-9 is 43K (in St. Louis). If you can get the GX for close to $44K, I would do it.

I have to agree with most here. If you can get a brand new GX460 for such low price - get it!
However, keep in mind, many Mazda dealers also have great incentives on CX-9 Signature as well. Here in the SF Bay area, there are a couple of dealers who will sell you a brand new '18 Signature right now for $40k, so don't look at the MSRP.

As far as driving and what you get with each..... well, like you said they are two very different cars. I have an older GX470 (many people say the GX470 is actually better than the GX460) and an almost new 2017 CX-9 Signature. They are VERY different.

The GX470 rides and behaves like a luxury truck, packed with high quality materials inside and out. It does everything well - it's agile, smooth on the freeway, turns well, parks fairly easy for its size, does not care about the road surface, it is quiet inside, it has lots of room (but not as practical as you would expect), it can tow well and it has an amazing full time 4wd system. Lexus service is the best i have experienced from any luxury or non-luxury car.
It is also a very thirsty SUV. It can run on regular gas but it is still very thirsty. The technology inside it is reliable but outdated. If you are going to keep it for 4-5-6 years, you better be OK to live with this already outdated technology. Also, i am pretty sure, out of the door, with the same amount of negotiating, you will end up paying thousands more for the GX over the CX-9. Again.... Both Mazda and Lexus have incentives, not just Lexus. A 45k MSRP CX-9 can be bought for 40k. Add to this difference the cost of extra gas and you're simply paying more for the Lexus. The resell value on the GX is strong, yes, but because there are so many of them out there and because gas is not getting any cheaper - do not expect miracles. They may not be as hot as you expect 5 yrs from now.

The CX-9, in my opinion, rides and behaves like a large, well put together, high-end sedan. It does NOT feel like you're driving an SUV. Many people like that. I like it too and there is a reason the CX-9 is my daily driver. But i also like the feel of my GX470 when i drive it. It's Very different. The Mazda feels more "gentle" on the road. Smooth ride, quiet ride, very little body roll, sportier than the GX, good power with no drama, modern inside and it very sure footed at high speed. If you are often driving over bad roads or offroad - the CX-9 feels very fragile. You need to protect it. The AWD system in the CX-9 is very basic and not impressive in true off-road conditions. Snow tires are a must with the CX-9 if you have real winters. In the GX - you just don't care when it comes to offroad and snow - it takes it all with no complaints. The CX-9 sits very close to the ground for SUV too. It just does not have the same rugged feel because it was not meant to be driven off-road.
However, for a daily driver, that spends 90-95% of its time over perfect freeways and city driving - I do not need that rugged feel at all. Do you? Simply put, it is easier for me to do my daily errands and handle my daily commute (in traffic) in the CX-9 and have occasional spirited runs with it on twisty roads. It excels doing all of it. I live in CA, so my commute does not include snow or torrential rain. If it did, then the GX gets picked. I also got a great deal on the CX-9 up front, so i am no too worried about the resell value 5-6 yrs from now. Gas mileage is much better too. I use Premium in the CX-9 by choice. I average 22-23mpg mixed driving, with a pretty heavy foot. Same driving style in the GX470 gives me 13-14 mpg. You can do the math.

Good luck with your choice!

Last edited:
One thing to keep in mind if it matters to you is that this generation of GX came out in 2009. Ancient in car years, although Lexus continually updates it so the current year is much better than 2009. What's crazier is the 2nd gen body looks quite similar to the 1st that came out way back in 2002, even the taillights.

I have to imagine an all new model will be coming soon but there won't be any deals when it does. Same with the ancient LX. Toyota seems in no hurry to redesign them.

Thats true! They havent changed much over the time neither in GX nor 4 runner. They are legendary trucks.

I agree to most of your thoughts and thanks for taking time and write a nice distinguishing factors to consider both ways! Im gonna try the best negotiation practices, though Ive a broker dealing with me as well, lol and see whats the difference in both rides. Something directing me towards GX - we have rx350 and cx9 would be another crossover and not a body on frame suv.

In a Mazda forum, in the CX9 section everybody is recommending the Lexus. I think that really shows how fair and open minded you guys are. Hats off to you guys.

I kind of agree too.. if you can score a 60k Lexus for 45k, if you don't do a lot of miles, if you can use and appreciate all that beef of the Lexus, go for it. If you are rackin up the miles, and the biggest challenge its gonna see a rain soaked mall parking lot, maybe not.

In a Mazda forum, in the CX9 section everybody is recommending the Lexus. I think that really shows how fair and open minded you guys are. Hats off to you guys.

I kind of agree too.. if you can score a 60k Lexus for 45k, if you don't do a lot of miles, if you can use and appreciate all that beef of the Lexus, go for it. If you are rackin up the miles, and the biggest challenge its gonna see a rain soaked mall parking lot, maybe not.

It's all about staying objective. Of course I love my CX-9, but I won't deny that there are improvements to be made and that it falls short in some areas, especially when compared to something like the GX. Keeping an open mind and considering all factors always helps me make the best decision for myself.. though sometimes, you want what you want, and nobody but yourself can convince you otherwise.

Thats interesting- short falls like what? I know nothing could be perfect but still what kind of niggles have you observed? Did you feel it underpowered anytime or something else? I didnt see any issues like body roll or lack of tech features other than missing Apple car play and android auto during my test drive.

These two vehicles are really so different I'm surprised anyone is comparing them. One is a body on frame truck that emphasizes off road capability (even though I would guess most Lexus owners never see anything but pavement), the other is a unit-body vehicle that emphasizes on-road dynamics. If you really need the off-road capability, the choice is pretty clear. Otherwise, cost being equal, I'd test drive both and buy what I liked.

If I can get a gx470 for about the same price or even 1 thousand more than a cx-9 I would jump on it right away. I love my cx-9 but with the water pump and transfer case issues you have to think twice. I also went to repair pal to get a price on the water pump for a 2016 2nd gen cx-9 and it is the same as the 1st gen. Is mazda still designing engines with internal water pumps?

I think the base GX can be had for around 48k

Old school belt driven water pump on front of the motor on the GX. I just got back from a 120 mile drive and got 21.5 MPG. Not bad for a 5200lb vehicle. Motor is not direct injected either.

I have never seen anything better than 20mpg on my GX470. Even driving 1/3 of the way downhill, coming back from our vacation home in the mountains .... i would barely touch 20mpg on a 250mi long trip. If i drive with 55 mph most of the trip, it will be possible, i guess. But normal 70-75mph trips with minimal city driving keep me around 20mpg at very best.

On the same exact trip, a week ago, the CX-9 gave me 24.5 mpg and i was pushing it hard. With the same driving style (and 80mph+ speeds), i know my GX would give me 18mpg or less.

I love my GX470 and i would keep it forever, but when it comes to fuel consumption, it is pretty thirsty, even in ideal conditions. There is no comparison with the CX-9 when it comes to MPG.

Have you thought of some of the Android tech updates you can now apply to your 470? I guess it can offer nav and also support stock HVAC.

DLC-Android-system-For-lexus-GX470-2004-2009-Navigation-GPS-car-player-Video-10-4-inches.jpg

Interesting... i did some research on this.

What would the cost $$ of this update be? - $650 on Ali Express + labor and some connectors
Who offers it? - DLC / DELINCHUA
Who provides support when there is a bug or i need an update or it dies? - Nobody. You can email a technician in China and pray for a solution
How well does it sync up with my iPhone? (I avoid android phones.) - not clear

Personally, i would not risk it with a product that ships from China, with zero support in the USA, based on a cheap tablet and questionable software.
There are better options for the GX .... like a nice dual DIN Pioneer head unit .

If I can get a gx470 for about the same price or even 1 thousand more than a cx-9 I would jump on it right away. I love my cx-9 but with the water pump and transfer case issues you have to think twice. I also went to repair pal to get a price on the water pump for a 2016 2nd gen cx-9 and it is the same as the 1st gen. Is mazda still designing engines with internal water pumps?

The 2017 CX-9 has a belt driven water pump. Cheap part and easy to replace.

The V6 in the older model CX-9 had the pump inside the engine, chain driven. Hard and very expensive to replace. Poor design, thanks to Ford.

Back