Buying a used CX-9 2016 or 2017 - need advice

TexasLady

:
CX-9
Hello Mazda Fans, I am a new member and I need some help please.
I am considering buying a pre-owned Mazda CX-9 either a 2016 and 2017. I am interested in grand touring or touring model. I was wondering if someone could tell me what interior features are standard in 2016 touring vs. 2017 touring and 2016 grand touring vs. 2017 grand touring. I have search all over you tube for reviews on this topic and I cant seem to find anything covering details this specific.

Also, I notice the grand touring has more attractive wheels than the touring. Would it be reasonable to assume if I purchased a touring I could get the wheels from a grand touring (off ebay or sold locally) and put the wheels from the grand touring on the touring? Would that cause any stability/safety issues?

Thank you all for your kind help.

-Crystal, Houston, Texas

I believe the only difference between the 2016 Touring and the 2017 Touring is the addition of Smart City Brake Support as a standard feature. I also believe there is no difference between the 2016 Grand Touring and the 2017 Grand Touring.

And sm1ke is correct - the Touring wheels are 18" while the Grand Touring wheels are 20". The bolt pattern on both wheels are the same - 5 x 114.3 - so swapping the 18s out for 20s will be no problem. Though as sm1ke pointed out, you'll want to make sure tread wear is relatively even on all four tires (I'd say this is true whether for FWD or for AWD). That said, even in AWD the CX-9 is, theoretically, a primarily FWD vehicle (98/2) with the ability to send more power, on an as-needed basis, to the rear wheels. Thus as long as the treadwear is relatively even across each of the two sets of two wheels/tires, then you can match those to the same axle and likely be fine.

I believe the only difference between the 2016 Touring and the 2017 Touring is the addition of Smart City Brake Support as a standard feature. I also believe there is no difference between the 2016 Grand Touring and the 2017 Grand Touring.

And sm1ke is correct - the Touring wheels are 18" while the Grand Touring wheels are 20". The bolt pattern on both wheels are the same - 5 x 114.3 - so swapping the 18s out for 20s will be no problem. Though as sm1ke pointed out, you'll want to make sure tread wear is relatively even on all four tires (I'd say this is true whether for FWD or for AWD). That said, even in AWD the CX-9 is, theoretically, a primarily FWD vehicle (98/2) with the ability to send more power, on an as-needed basis, to the rear wheels. Thus as long as the treadwear is relatively even across each of the two sets of two wheels/tires, then you can match those to the same axle and likely be fine.

I would price shop NEW on the CX-9 as well. Oftentimes there is only a couple thousand price difference between a used and (well-negotiated) new one, especially if you start factoring in wear items like tires, etc. Mazda is offering $2,000 cash back off MSRP right now. People are getting brand new Touring models in the range of $33k and Grand Tourings in the range of $36.5k.

If you buy a 2018 you will get a couple of good features such as G-Vectoring and better seat adjustments, and (I suspect) better air conditioning.

Did they fix the AC for 2018? I remember hearing that the AC was a bit weak when the CX-9 debuted.

I am considering buying a pre-owned Mazda CX-9 either a 2016 and 2017. I am interested in grand touring or touring model. I was wondering if someone could tell me what interior features are standard in 2016 touring vs. 2017 touring and 2016 grand touring vs. 2017 grand touring. I have search all over you tube for reviews on this topic and I cant seem to find anything covering details this specific.

Also, I notice the grand touring has more attractive wheels than the touring. Would it be reasonable to assume if I purchased a touring I could get the wheels from a grand touring (off ebay or sold locally) and put the wheels from the grand touring on the touring? Would that cause any stability/safety issues?

-Crystal, Houston, Texas

There's not really that much difference between '16, '17 and '18. Best place to start is comparing all features listed on Mazda's website for each trim.

GT wheels are a different size, so you would need to resize your tires to fit the new wheels if you swap them, and you'd need to make sure it doesn't throw off your speedometer. I would strongly suggest just focusing in on a Grand Touring or Signature.

In 2018 they added heated seats for the second row, heated steering wheel, G-Vectoring, and they also made the third row much easier to access (the second row slides forward several inches more). I'm sure there are a few more things as well, but these are the things that made the choice between a '17 and an '18 easy for me.

-Crystal, Houston, Texas

Edmunds is useful for comparing trim levels and changes from year to year. Go to their used cars section and it will have a review that includes changes for that year, as well as the differences in trim.

If comparing between 2017 and 2016, I would pick the 2017. There were safety enhancements that allowed the GT and up to get the top safety pick awards. Just make sure the build was after October 2016 or something.

IMO, the more significant jump is on the 2018s, the Stop and Go CC, heated steering wheel and second row (if you live in areas that need it), front parking sensors and driving enhancements, are worth the upgrade.

Back