2016.5 CX-5 GT New Tires

Crunchy409

:
Mazda CX5 Grand Touring
Hello, all!

I had trouble finding much when searching (maybe doing so poorly?). I am looking for a set of tires of our 2016.5 CX-5 GT (19").

I have looked around and called 2 dealers and the 3 most discussed are:
Yokohama Geo Lander
Michelin Premier LTX
Bridgestone Dueler

I was thinking Michelin until the most recent adviser suggested that it's not great value, and the compound is really soft so gets nails and other damage easily.

Any thoughts from the inter-webs?
thanks so much!!
~Matt

Yokohama Geo Lander

Since it's 19", not sure if we are talking the same model Geolandars, but the Touring and Sports come with 17" Yokohama Geolandar G91A's, and my personal opinion was that they were not good tires.

Hello, all!

I had trouble finding much when searching (maybe doing so poorly?). I am looking for a set of tires of our 2016.5 CX-5 GT (19").

Yokohama Geo Lander
Michelin Premier LTX
Bridgestone Dueler

I was thinking Michelin until the most recent adviser suggested that it's not great value, and the compound is really soft so gets nails and other damage easily.

thanks so much!!
~Matt

I don't think compound "softness" has anything to do with nail resistance... you hit a nail, you get a nail. Unless its made of steel...

I like my Michelins. They're the closest handling to the Toyo but much quieter.

I chose the Pinarello Cintuarato. they had the best wear rating of the 3 I was considering including the Michelins and Continentals. So far they've been fine. I only have 5K miles on them but no complaints.

I chose the Pinarello Cintuarato. they had the best wear rating of the 3 I was considering including the Michelins and Continentals. So far they've been fine. I only have 5K miles on them but no complaints.

or, to put it another way "Pirelli Cinturato"(rolleyes)

My General r43 Altimax is doing an excellent job on my CX5
Same here but on my Honda CR-V. General AltiMAX™ RT43 definitely will be on my CX-5 when my OE Toyo A23's are wearing out at around 30,000 ~ 35,000 miles.

Hello, all!

Yokohama Geo Lander
Michelin Premier LTX
Bridgestone Dueler

thanks so much!!
~Matt

The LTX really sucks for tread life according to both the smell test (8.5/32 when new...) and testing (Consumer Reports listed it as 40K miles, IIRC).
I really liked my LX20's for the most part.
I have bought Nokian WRG3 SUV's for this next set. I don't have them on, yet, to comment, though.

It's hard to really go wrong on tires now days if you pick a top performer from several sources.

It is difficult to tell if a new tire is quieter than the old worn out tires. My guess at this point is that the General rt43 are about the same as the new Yokos that came on the car.

It is difficult to tell if a new tire is quieter than the old worn out tires. My guess at this point is that the General rt43 are about the same as the new Yokos that came on the car.

I read a bunch of tire reviews, and the largest spread was just 1-2dB between many. This is new tire vs. new tire. I honestly don't know if a person could tell which is louder, because this was a "raw" reading. It didn't compare frequency of the sound. Certain frequencies "sound louder" than others, so a tire that is 72dB may sound quieter than a tire that is 70dB. This is the same way suppressors work, where the KAC NT4 meters 145+dB, and yet sounds "more tolerable" than many suppressors 5-10dB quieter. The tune is very deep, and this makes it less obnoxious. When you get into comparing spl, it's easy, but when you throw in the human component and the "real world impressions", it all goes to hell and turns into he said, she said, when choices have similarities.

I'll put my .02 in here on this.I put the RT-43's (H rated) on at 3000 miles so the yoko's were still pretty new.Overall about the same noise level.Each tire just sounded different on some road surfaces and about the same on others.Didn't get the noise reduction I was expecting but the ride improvement was definitely worth it.
While these are pretty good tires,my next set will hopefully have a bit better wet traction and be quieter. Jmaz

I got about 26k out of the OEM 19s on my 2015 GT. I put Michelin Premier LTXs on it and was very pleased. the Michelins were not quire as crisp, but their ultimate traction was as high, they were quieter, better in the rain (I could not tell the road was wet) and better off road, until the tread filled with mud. Then they did not perform well because they didn't clear out the mud easily. I had 20k miles on them when the car was rear-ended and totalled. The tread was about 1/2 worn, or less. The wreck cut one ot I'd have swapped them onto the '16.5.

Back