Front Dash rattle potentially being addresses soon by Mazda

:
2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech & i-Activesense
Took My 2016 GT in to the dealer today for an oil change, 25,000mi service and to have some warranty work done on my rear hatch bolts, they stripped out and are being replaced. I also asked them to look into the rattle coming from the rear hatch area and the intermittent rattle in the left corner of the dash. They said rattles are only covered under the 12 month 12,000 mile portion of the warranty but called their Mazda Rep to see if they could make an exception for me, they did. I was able to take the service person on a test ride and she heard both of the rattles that I was talking about. When she got a hold of the mazda rep she was told that they were actually having a national conference call with Mazda NA today concerning the dash rattle in the first gens. Hopefully a TSB or recall is going to be announced sooner rather then later. I'll let you guys and gals know what comes of it when I get my car back later today or tomorrow.

In the mean time I was given a 2018 GT AWD fully loaded to drive around it. It is much quitter inside then my 2016. If they ever put the 2.5T in the thing then I'll be lined up at the dealers door looking for a trade!!!!

How did those hatch bolts come to be stripped out?

How did those hatch bolts come to be stripped out?

I have no idea! One day all seemed fine, the next, as I got soccer practice to coach I had a hard time closing the hatch. I looked at when I got home and found that one of the bolts I could turn with my fingers and the others weren't very tight either. the loose bolts caused the hatch to go out of alignment

I never heard of rattles not being covered under 3 yr bumper to bumper

I guess I never really read the warranty front to back. It's not covered but they made an exception for me and are taking care of it. I got a call this morning that the techs couldn't replicate the dash rattle in the afternoon which doesn't surprise me as temps were around 45 degrees and I only hear it when it's cold outside. They kept the car over night and were going to test drive it again this morning when it was cold. Hopefully they'll find it and fix it.

Yup. Usually only a year for squeaks and rattles. Doesn't hurt to beg and ask for some help though. Worst case they say tough luck.

Rear hatch area rattle is probably the spoiler. Mine had 3 of the 4 bolts which retain it via studs completely gone.

I guess I never really read the warranty front to back. It's not covered but they made an exception for me and are taking care of it. I got a call this morning that the techs couldn't replicate the dash rattle in the afternoon which doesn't surprise me as temps were around 45 degrees and I only hear it when it's cold outside. They kept the car over night and were going to test drive it again this morning when it was cold. Hopefully they'll find it and fix it.

Keep us updated on that rattle. Pretty sure I have that as well. It is so random and feel like it only happens if it's cold and only when the car is not warmed up.

I noticed mine rattles from the vent in the corner of the dash when it is cold out side. Next time I am at the store I was going to pick up some rubber cement and glue it in.

Rear hatch area rattle is probably the spoiler. Mine had 3 of the 4 bolts which retain it via studs completely gone.

Not the actual spoiler as I've taken the plastic trim piece off on the inside and have checked the tightness of those bolts, they are snug. I am thinking they might be those little black plastic trim pieces on the out corners of the spoiler, they're looking into it.

I noticed mine rattles from the vent in the corner of the dash when it is cold out side. Next time I am at the store I was going to pick up some rubber cement and glue it in.

I thought it was maybe that as well, but holding the vent I can still hear the rattle. I thought maybe it was the speaker cover so I added some foam tape to the underside there and no difference. I actually drove around for about a week with the speaker and the grill off and it still made noise. Some where on here is a post about a guy who believes he fixed it by sticking a taped up popsicle stick in between the vent duct and the bracing for the dash. I had rammed some packing foam in the area I think he described and that seemed to remedy the problem until about half way thru the winter. So either that wasn't the solution, or my foam fell out. Still waiting to hear back from the dealer.

Not the actual spoiler as I've taken the plastic trim piece off on the inside and have checked the tightness of those bolts, they are snug. I am thinking they might be those little black plastic trim pieces on the out corners of the spoiler, they're looking into it.

I've read if can be those too.

Well got word back from the dealership this morning, they broke my car! They said they drove with the tech in the boot area and he definitely thought it was those black plastic trim pieces on the outside of the spoiler. In trying to remove it, they broke it. They apologized and said they have a new one on order and that it will be here on Monday so I get to keep the 2018 thru the weekend.

They still can't replicate the dash rattle all that much and are leery of investigating further, think they might do more harm then good trying to get the dash apart.

Well got word back from the dealership this morning, they broke my car! They said they drove with the tech in the boot area and he definitely thought it was those black plastic trim pieces on the outside of the spoiler. In trying to remove it, they broke it. They apologized and said they have a new one on order and that it will be here on Monday so I get to keep the 2018 thru the weekend.

They still can't replicate the dash rattle all that much and are leery of investigating further, think they might do more harm then good trying to get the dash apart.
Ha I also just took my 2016 CX-5 in last week with 24,600 miles for last-chance new-car warranty service. But I only got a 2017 CX-5 FWD Touring as a loaner, not like your nicer 2018 GT AWD full loaded. I wish I could have a 2018 CX-5 loaner driving for more than a week testing out the cylinder deactivation.

Not surprising for those kind of things happen! As mentioned in another thread when I was trying to pick up my CX-5 yesterday, they screwed many things up by a senior Mazda certified mechanic! Luckily head master mechanic got involved and is going to replace entire rear brakes with revised rear calipers、new set of rotors and pads originally the certified tech declined to replace based on an EPB TSB.

It's true rattles are covered under much shorter warranty as my dealer said the same thing when I mentioned rattles from front passenger door area. Luckily my CX-5 doesn't have other rattles like yours. Ended up the tech replaced revised Bose 9" speakers with adapters based on a TSB.

While talking to head master tech, he and I agreed it's very difficult to find good mechanics nowadays as younger generations are not interested in cars anymore and hate to get hards dirty. His dealer lost 6 long-time senior master mechanics just last year, all of them were getting tired of fixing cars and retired early!

Last edited:
I guess I'm an outlier. 2014 GT AWD, 60k miles and nary a squeak nor a rattle. Maybe it's because I never take it back to the dealer?

I'm having the same 2 problems with my 2016 GT here in CT, I do see more issues with colder temperatures and rougher roads. I had my rear 2 struts replaced 2x last year under the TSB, the 2nd time was due to failure of the 1st replacement set after less than 3 weeks. I'm at 38k miles and I purchased an extended warranty, but would be nice to hear that they have a TSB for both issues

I picked my car up yesterday and asked about the conference call. They said they had one of there guys listen in on the call and nothing was said about the dash rattle issue. So I guess I was given wrong info, which sucks. Anyhow, with the warmer temps the dash rattle has all but disappeared and they replaced my trim piece they broke on my spoiler so that rattle seems to be much better. Still there a bit but I'll just live with it.

Does anyone know how to remove the black trim pieces with out breaking them? They didn't add any foam tape or anything and I think that would help quite a bit in reducing the noise from those things.

I picked my car up yesterday and asked about the conference call. They said they had one of there guys listen in on the call and nothing was said about the dash rattle issue. So I guess I was given wrong info, which sucks. Anyhow, with the warmer temps the dash rattle has all but disappeared and they replaced my trim piece they broke on my spoiler so that rattle seems to be much better. Still there a bit but I'll just live with it.

Does anyone know how to remove the black trim pieces with out breaking them? They didn't add any foam tape or anything and I think that would help quite a bit in reducing the noise from those things.

i found instructions online once, but traded mine in before attempting to fix mine, as they were loose as well. if you don't feel like using google, i probably posted the link in one of my old threads in the "CX5 accessories & appearance" forum. you'd have to dig to find it.

The noise is driving me nuts, it does happen more under colder conditions. My rattle sound is coming from the passenger side. Anyone else know how to fix it?

I bought my 2014 GT with 85K on it. I was impressed nary a squeak or rattle anywhere then-
BAM one day an annoying rattle from dash front left corner, have not tracked it down yet. I sounds like it could be vent or dash A pillar location. Strategies for chasing it down?
I wsa half tempted to shoot some silicone spray around up there as the rattle could be friction between two pieces of something plastic then it pops as it slides. Other thing I may try is just reachin up there and tapping pushing on things. It does get worse in certain temps and humidity.

Back