Mud and snow: in the INSIDE portion of rear doors: anyone?

bmninada

Contributor
:
2016 CX-5 AWD GT+iActive Soul Red
I'll try to post some photos but this is something bothering me for sometime. If needs to be addressed, have to do it before my warranty runs over.

Recently, drove thru a pile of slush, snow, mud, etc. When I open my front doors - either side there's this clear edge. All the mud/slush marks stop right at the frame where the door edge rests. Looking down even the door metal portion underneath the plastic/vinyl is clear, door sills are too.

This is NOT the case with BOTH the rear doors. They show considerable collection of dirt/mud/slush in the lower metallic INSIDE portion - of both the doors. The edges where the door meets the frame - near the locks also have quite a few areas covered with dust/etc. travelling down towards the door sills.

Question - is this normal?

In my view it is. I open the doors every week when I wash the car and power wash all inside the shuts and inner doors. The rear doors on the 16 are prone to collecting dirt but the aren't as bad as they were on my RAV4s.

The 17 are a little less prone which seems to be down to the additional seals but they still get pressure washed every week.

Here are the photos:

IMG_2548_NEW.jpg
IMG_2549_NEW.jpg
IMG_2550_NEW.jpg
IMG_2551_NEW.jpg

I'll try to post some photos but this is something bothering me for sometime. If needs to be addressed, have to do it before my warranty runs over.

Recently, drove thru a pile of slush, snow, mud, etc. When I open my front doors - either side there's this clear edge. All the mud/slush marks stop right at the frame where the door edge rests. Looking down even the door metal portion underneath the plastic/vinyl is clear, door sills are too.

This is NOT the case with BOTH the rear doors. They show considerable collection of dirt/mud/slush in the lower metallic INSIDE portion - of both the doors. The edges where the door meets the frame - near the locks also have quite a few areas covered with dust/etc. travelling down towards the door sills.

Question - is this normal?

Pictures look normal to me. The seal higher up is what keeps air and water out of the cabin. If you look at the door and opening you will notice there are no seals preventing splash into those areas. Other cars are similar.

Similar to what I get if I drive on a slushy snow hence I tried not to as much as possible. If not avoidable, drive slower. The thing I don't like is that bottom part plastic gets really muddy inside so had to run water down there when cleaning it. Wipes won't get rid of it.

Get some cheap soft tubular self-adhesive weatherstripping from EBay and apply around the door close to the edge. Just make sure the door is closing allright.

It also helps when you wax or seal your car to include the sills and door bottoms as well. I think it helps by making it easier to clean since the surface is slicker. Another idea which I use since it’s quick is to use a quick detailer. I use Sonax BSD and spray onto the microfiber and wipe down those areas. Any rain water just beads off and minor dirt will clean easily.

Back