Front window tint on 2017-2018 Mazda CX-5

vsolstice

:
2018 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring
Hi Guys,

Just purchased a brand new 2018 Mazda CX-5. The car came with rear windows tinted so now I am considering to tint the front ones in order to hide from this CA sun (I know it's not technically legal here).

With that being said, would be great if people can share pictures of their CX-5s with front windows tinted. Really would like to see how it would look aesthetically on a black car (or another color).

Thanks!

Do a forum search. This has been discussed (with plenty of photos)many times in the past.

Hi paris1! I did but couldn't find any pictures for the 2017-2018 CX-5s. Would be great to see what other owners of the same vehicle could share. Really looking to see how the front tint looks on a black vehicle. Thank you!

Hi Guys,

Just purchased a brand new 2018 Mazda CX-5. The car came with rear windows tinted so now I am considering to tint the front ones in order to hide from this CA sun (I know it's not technically legal here).

With that being said, would be great if people can share pictures of their CX-5s with front windows tinted. Really would like to see how it would look aesthetically on a black car (or another color).

Thanks!

39902812165_e0d13d355f_b.jpg

Looks great.
But am I seeing that wrong, or is the driver's side window NOT tinted?

Looks great.
But am I seeing that wrong, or is the driver's side window NOT tinted?

No they are tinted. The rear windows and hatch window are factory tinted darker than the front ones, and the front passenger door is showing the darker rear tint, while the driver's is not.

Question - anyone knows the % for the factory tints @ rear? Are they same for the 2 door and the rear glass or different?

Thank you Supercrewbear and Javila21 for the pics! Both cars look great. Anyone has a black one with tint though?

https://www.tinting-laws.com/california/

Legal in California is 88% front and you can paint the rears if you want to. The percentage is the amount of light the tint lets through. Do NOT tint your windshield, it WILL look like s***.

I've been rolling with 50 in the front and 35 rear for years with no problems.

https://www.tinting-laws.com/california/

Legal in California is 88% front and you can paint the rears if you want to. The percentage is the amount of light the tint lets through. Do NOT tint your windshield, it WILL look like s***.

I've been rolling with 50 in the front and 35 rear for years with no problems.

Are you saying you're far darker than legal, but getting away with it [in terms of the fuzz]?

Yep. Just don't go darker than 50 on the front and you'll most likely fly under the radar. If it's so dark that someone (like a cop for instance) can't see your face from the outside then you're gonna have a bad time.
youre-gonna-have-a-bad-time-southpark-ski-instructor.jpg

In PA 70% of light must pass through. I had a VW golf like 15 years ago that was tinted down to 35%. The cops would fine me $105 each time. After I paid such “tint tax” 3 times I took the fronts off (that’s all they cared about). I can’t stand the archaic tint laws in our state. I wrote state legislators about it and sighted all of the pros, such as UV protection against the suns rays damaging or cracking the cars interior. Better protection against blinding sun glare during daytime driving. How other states like Florida do not have as restrictive tint laws, yet they have no issues, etc. They wouldn’t have any of it. The claim was its for police officer safety. If your pulled over and they can’t see you, they have no idea if your reaching for a weapon.

For me, though it’s been awhile, I always roll down the front windows and keep my hands where they can see them. If I can put the officer at ease, it translates to a better traffic stop. I know the job ain’t easy and there’s no telling what they will run into. Around here they have these light meters they put on the window and the display on it indicates the % of light transmission through the glass. Usually they did this if you were pulled over for another reason, however I was pulled over and fined once and pulled over and warned once, explicitly for tinted windows and no other infractions.

I’d love to tint my CX5, but I’m not ready to pay the random “tint tax” to the local authorities.

I'm in SoCal and I currently have about 20% up front, 20% over the factory rear tint and 70% on the windshield. I originally had 35% up front but it was too light and the tint I used was expensive so I added a second layer of 55% to it. Just don't drive like a douche and you should be fine.

25617985787_7746c339d8_b.jpg

Lol get back to us on:
a: The tint on the windshield bubbling up and/or discoloring from the defroster heat
B: How much the ticket is.

Lol get back to us on:
a: The tint on the windshield bubbling up and/or discoloring from the defroster heat
B: How much the ticket is.

I wouldn't know, I've had my windshield tinted on all my cars for the past 10 plus years and never had an issue. I don't use cheap tint on the windshield so never had issue with it bubbling or fading, do a search on photosync tint. For windshield I wouldn't go darker than the 70%, which is practically unnoticeable to the untrained eyes. Few cars back I had a black pontiac vibe GT hatchback with 20% tint all around and 70% on windshield, I got ticketed twice for front tint but never on the windshield so I'm not worried.

I'm in SoCal and have been considering tinting the front windows for UV protection as well. I had an Acura here for 5.5 years at 35% and never got pulled over, so that's probably what I'd do again.

Back