CX-5 GT 2016 transmission slipping

MAPEPIN

:
CX-5 GT 2016
I bought a used CX-5 GT 2016 about a month ago with 45k km on the clock.

When i'm at a stop sign, if i dont stop completely for 1 second or 2, the car stays in 2nd gear and it feels like the transmission slips a bit...

The rpm goes up to about 2300rpm and it feels like the clutch does'nt fully engage until the speed matches with the rpm...

Is this normal?, i dont know anyone with a CX-5 and i can't find any info on that here

Thank you

There're quite a few reports here on transmission replacement for 2016 CX-5 with similar symptom as a batch of bad parts been indroduced into the transmission during assembly. You should still have powertrain warranty so take your CX-5 to Mazda dealer for warranty service ASAP.

Poll: My CX-5 transmission failed and was replaced

I bought a used CX-5 GT 2016 about a month ago with 45k km on the clock.

When i'm at a stop sign, if i dont stop completely for 1 second or 2, the car stays in 2nd gear and it feels like the transmission slips a bit...

The rpm goes up to about 2300rpm and it feels like the clutch does'nt fully engage until the speed matches with the rpm...

Is this normal?, i dont know anyone with a CX-5 and i can't find any info on that here

Thank you

I do find that these transmissions prefer a full stop. That’s because the transmission automatically downshifts and you are catching it in between gears. I don’t know if they downshift to first gear. I suspect not.

Also, when at a stop for anything longer than a few seconds the transmission automatically goes into neutral. I read that somewhere.

I do find that these transmissions prefer a full stop. That’s because the transmission automatically downshifts and you are catching it in between gears. I don’t know if they downshift to first gear. I suspect not.

Only at a complete stop. If I am super close to a complete stop but still not quite there, I am still in 2nd gear which results in what you describe.

Yes, it's still under warranty, going to the dealer on friday. we'll see how it goes.

Thanks for the answers guys

Last edited:
Only at a complete stop. If I am super close to a complete stop but still not quite there, I am still in 2nd gear which results in what you describe.

Exactly. Thanks for confirming. In All likelihood it’s just something to get used to as all cars have their little idiosyncrasies.

Exactly. Thanks for confirming. In All likelihood it’s just something to get used to as all cars have their little idiosyncrasies.

Yep, I figured out how to work around it a little better. AKA come to complete stop, or if not, go a little bit faster if possible.

That said, if OP is legitimately concerned about a slipping transmission, definitely get it checked out.

I do find that these transmissions prefer a full stop. Thats because the transmission automatically downshifts and you are catching it in between gears. I dont know if they downshift to first gear. I suspect not.

Also, when at a stop for anything longer than a few seconds the transmission automatically goes into neutral. I read that somewhere.
(uhm). You definitely read that somewhere from the Internet ⋯

When OP said "the rpm goes up to about 2300rpm and it feels like the clutch doesn't fully engage until the speed matches with the rpm..." it definitely the symptom of slippage, especially he didn't feel this when he just bought it now the shift behavior has changed.

And it's a 2016 CX-5!

Nothing hurts to have the dealer check it out when the vehicle is still under warranty.

Some early 2016 builds had transmission component issues. They'll take care of you if that's the case - possibly a replacement, which is not as scary as it sounds.

I had what I think was similar, happen once.

If you are truly having a "slipping" issue, I would be surprised if you didn't get an engine/driveline mis-match speed code. let us know how this goes!

Unobtanium, could you possibly elaborate on the mis-match code? Does it have anything to do with a software remapping? (I saw another user mention this.)

When my CX5 downshifts from 2nd, often times it doesn't really go into 1st, but 'let's go' like it's shifting into neutral before I've come to a complete stop. Like a light nudge from the back end is how it feels. So I'm experiencing the same thing as OP.

My Mazda service ctr didn't act like it was a known problem. My CX5 has 28k miles and is 2015. Just past the 3 year mark in February.

Unobtanium, could you possibly elaborate on the mis-match code? Does it have anything to do with a software remapping? (I saw another user mention this.)

When my CX5 downshifts from 2nd, often times it doesn't really go into 1st, but 'let's go' like it's shifting into neutral before I've come to a complete stop. Like a light nudge from the back end is how it feels. So I'm experiencing the same thing as OP.

My Mazda service ctr didn't act like it was a known problem. My CX5 has 28k miles and is 2015. Just past the 3 year mark in February.
Your transmission is covered under 5-year/60,000-mile powertrain warranty. If you feel any slippage in transmission, you should take your CX-5 in to check it out. Worst case you left a record in Mazda's system so that if your transmission ever failed after warranty, you can try to argue that your CX-5 was having problems within the warranty, but your dealer failed to catch the problem and fix it properly.

My thinking is that the transmission does not downshift into first due to the effect you would feel from going into first gear. It would feel harsh to most drivers. So it goes to neutral at the prescribed point to create a smooth stop.

My thinking is that the transmission does not downshift into first due to the effect you would feel from going into first gear. It would feel harsh to most drivers. So it goes to neutral at the prescribed point to create a smooth stop.
As mentioned above, CX-5's SkyActiv-Drive transmission doesn't shift to Natural at any point as long as your shift selector is in Drive!

If it goes to 2nd instead of first, and the speed is under 10mph, maybe the tq converter is flashing under load and the car feels weak and then you get past 10mph and the converter locks. That would explain this sensation.

A speed mismatch is when engine rpm does not match what transmission output should . Even my 2002 Infiniti threw an electronic fit that blew a ton of codes when this happened. I'd figure a cx5 would too.

Yeah, if you roll thru a stop sign you're often taking off in 2nd gear, which can feel awfully gutless and weak when you step on the gas pedal.

You can use manual mode to force it into 1st. But if you're above a certain speed when you do this you will certainly feel it as it isn't very smooth.

I did feel that "disconnected" feeling when slowing towards a red light or stop sign. I figured it had something to do with the torque converter.

Yeah, if you roll thru a stop sign you're often taking off in 2nd gear, which can feel awfully gutless and weak when you step on the gas pedal.

You can use manual mode to force it into 1st. But if you're above a certain speed when you do this you will certainly feel it as it isn't very smooth.

I did feel that "disconnected" feeling when slowing towards a red light or stop sign. I figured it had something to do with the torque converter.

Perfect description.

As mentioned above, CX-5's SkyActiv-Drive transmission doesn't shift to Natural at any point as long as your shift selector is in Drive!

The service manual indicates that at a full stop with foot on brake, at operating temp, the transmission does go into neutral to save fuel and reduce heat by stopping the engine slipping the torque convertor at full stop.

Back