Thread: Undercarriage/Muffler Rust on 2014 CX-9?

Registered Member

Mazda Cx-9

Undercarriage/Muffler Rust on 2014 CX-9?

Does anyone know of any issues with rust around the muffler on '13-'15 models? Reason I ask is the attached picture on a car I'm considering purchasing.

I am a potential CX-9 owner, and I've been lurking for a few weeks, learning so much about this car (this forum is fantastic!) in preparation for buying a used CX-9 sometime soon. This question isn't really unique to CX-9's, but I wanted to get started posting- looking forward to when I'm a full-fledged, zoom-zoom member of the CX-9 club!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Registered Member

2010 CX-9

Unfortunately my phone will not allow me to view the image. The exhaust in these are made out of stainless steel, so while there may be some surface rust, there should be any rust through for many years,if ever. If you feel it is questionable have a mechanic look at it and get their opinion.

Oh and welcome and hope you get to enjoy a CX-9 soon, we are currently on our 2nd one (2016, first was a 2010)!
    Last edited by dennyd75; 03-13-2018 at 12:50 PM. Reason: Grammar and greeting

Registered Member

Mazda Cx-9

Thanks for the response. That makes sense about the actual muffler being stainless steel, so I guess my concern would be the actual pipe going into and out of the muffler. It looks like the couplings there have the most significant amount of rust.

Definitely will have any car pre-purchase inspected before buying, just curious if this was a known issue that others had encountered.

Registered Member

2010 CX-9 GT

Quote Originally Posted by mikewazowski889 View Post
    Thanks for the response. That makes sense about the actual muffler being stainless steel, so I guess my concern would be the actual pipe going into and out of the muffler. It looks like the couplings there have the most significant amount of rust.

Definitely will have any car pre-purchase inspected before buying, just curious if this was a known issue that others had encountered.
    I have a 2010 and the exhaust piping looks similar to that. No exhaust leaks yet.