How to fix internal soft paint?

Ghostsniper

:
2009 M3 GT (White-Hatchback), 2018 CX5 GT AWD (White-Tech Pkg)
So today as I open the driver's door, I heard a big snap. I thought I hit my door on a wall but I didn't so I closed the door again and listen to that snapping sound. I finally located it, it was one of the plastic cover that for some reason it bended and went on top of my door edge and snapped. With that, it took a big chunk of my paint away. Now shes on pain for this damage. The white paint is so soft that it almost feels like jelly or milk curd.

It is near the bottom and I know there is always water running through there whenever it rains or carwash. So I need now the forum's expertise to help me patch this up or seal it before water starts to sink inside and rust it away.

Any good tape advice or sealant that I can use to cover it? I know the dealer won't do this for free and might not be part of the warranty.

So far what I see on Amazon is this expensive tape https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00HSCMM90/ ... I am pretty sure there is something better than this and cheaper.

Will be waiting in pain thinking about this while at work ... Ruins my day.

IMG_20180313_082420.jpg

Last edited:
I am guessing the soft stuff you feel is seam sealant that was put on first, and painted over. But looking at my car and your car, i can't find any way or any piece that would bind and snap as you mention. It may be worth a trip to the dealer to make sure things are assembled correctly.

IMG_20180313_082420.jpg

This part is somewhat not bolted down and I had to push the flap back so it doesn't do anymore dmg. It is hard to see it as the door is very tight to get a picture of this plastic part but for some reason, this plastic has curved inwards and I don't know how it got on top of that edge. I do fear that it will happen again. I am guessing it is the wind that pushed it inwards. I check the passenger side and it looks the same. It may snapped one day too on top, so I will do try to let the dealer knows about it.

Can you take a photo a bit further back so I can work out where this is?

THe bolt head pictured is the bottom bolt on the lower door hinge drivers door. The black plastic pieces are in the front fender to body opening and fill the gap between fender and body shell.Bottom of front fender/door in rocker panel area.

Indeed that is the black plastic on the front fender. I dunno why they didn't have the bottom part bolted down so when the wind blows up against it, it pushes inward hence it overlaps on the door when I open it.

I did a remedy for it by gluing the big chunk of pieces that fell off and I sealed it with clear water resistant epoxy. Cheap but looks like it is holding and sealed tight. I also bent that damn plastic forward and hoping it will stay that way. I had to sealed it due to wet snow so lots of water and salt coming down that way and I am not waiting for a week for the dealer to see it.

I don't know if the older version of CX 5 has it but if you guys do, you can check that it is just a piece of plastic with foam on the other side hanging.

Here is a further shot.
IMG_20180313_085759.jpg

Last edited:
I think something damaged yours. My bottom piece is solid as rock.

Maybe ice accumulated and pushed in on it when closing the door?

Definitely get Mazda to fix it though.

Back