Mazda friends, need '17 CX-5 ammo to help to sway the wifey who wants Lexus NX200

Status
Not open for further replies.
We plan to drive both, she prefers the looks of the Mazda. Which ever we choose, will be paid for by both of us.

My Rx-8 has been pretty good overall, even with it being heavily autocrossed for 2 years. My protege5 was plucky and trusty. Her cousins Miata has been trusty, her other cousins CX-9 has been steady and reliable, her other cousins MazdaSpeed5 has never missed a beat. So the Mazda track record in her immediate view is pretty good.

She isn't looking at the CX-3, too low for her tastes.

I'm just biased against the RX8 for many reasons.

Her commute is going to double?

CX-5-NVH-graph.jpg

The Lexus IS basically just the rav4. But given the history and the fact that the dealer is close and you like it, the best thing she can do is test drive both. Its HER car and shes going to be he one driving it so let her decide. But definitely have her give the Cx5 a chance with a test drive and let her make her own decision

I do agree with others, at end of the day it is her car and she has to be happy. The NXT is more on par with CX3 in size. If she really wants small, then don't try to sell her on the CX-5. My wife had her choice - 3 or 5 - I stayed out of the way. We make sure we don't buy cars the other despises... I did that one time and won't do it again. But since we mostly drive our own vehicles, it is ok to let the other pick what they really want - within reason :)

But if small luxury SUV is what she wants, you should check out the less ugly competition from Audi, BMW, Mercedes. Just realize as you add options to get on par with Mazda, the price goes up very quickly.

There is also the status with some luxury brands that is hard to look past. So make sure the NXT really has features you want, and it is not being bought just for the Lexus badge.

With a long commute it’s going to come down to comfort. Which one she feels best in.

In the end it’s her ride so it should be her decision. Happy wife, happy life as they say.

Give her facts for both vehicles but don't make decision for her, her car and her decision, you'll be happier that way.

This is a gross generalization, but it seems to me that IT people really like the Mazda electronics [except the lack of customization], whereas "normal" people seem to have a harder time relating to it. Perhaps IT people are used to dealing with new, different interfaces.

In any case, I agree. Nothing is worse than having to control everything on a touch screen. The Mazda system really works well.

IT guy here. I got my barebones Touring specifically because I did not want all the tech and nannies, etc.

I don't know if that's an oxymoron (lol).

BTW, I hadn't realized the NX was just as ugly inside as outside. 1980s lines and angles mashup with 2010+ features.

Other than we bought a Saab part, it sounds good..jk 7. I've driven quite a few cars in my day but but Saab is not one of them..I rode in a 9-3 once I think but did actually drive the 92x which was basically just a Subaru in Saab clothing so its discounted.

Last edited:
Other than we bought a Saab part, it sounds good..jk 7. I've driven quite a few cars in my day but but Saab is not one of them..I rode in a 9-3 once I think but did actually drive the 92x which was basically just a Subaru in Saab clothing so its discounted.
Lol. Well she really wanted a Benz which I am no fan of so I considered it a bullet dodged. We rented a similar Benz in San Diego once and she was glad we got the Saab.

OP: on her wanting to downsize.. what about BMW X1? Got an 18 for a loaner today..I have previous gen and on paper I had plenty of issues with the redo...BUT..I actually really like it so far. Steering is better, shifting is too. Shifter looks bad but works well in practice, armrest adjusts for height (love it) heated wheel also nice basically a throw in (when does bmw ever do that) with the $550 heated seats. You should check it out.

Last edited:
OP: on her wanting to downsize.. what about BMW X1? Got an 18 for a loaner today..I have previous gen and on paper I had plenty of issues with the redo...BUT..I actually really like it so far. Steering is better, shifting is too. Shifter looks bad but works well in practice, armrest adjusts for height (love it) heated wheel also nice basically a throw in (when does bmw ever do that) with the $550 heated seats. You should check it out.

My main issue with new BMW's is that the base model is super affordable, but get it optioned the way anyone would order it sensibly, and it can damn near add 50% to the base price! CPO seems like the way to go with BMW/Benz, IMO

OP : Have you tried to "back off" perhaps? In other words, sometimes when the loved ones strongly suggest something or try to sway an opposite happens. Both are very good cars. In terms of 2nd. hand valuation (in case you're looking into it) Lexus perhaps will give a better bang for the buck. Mazda has mostly come out of the woods after its horrible association with Ford but not completely. Public perception takes time to change.
Next - usually wives/women prefer a more luxurious drive. Lexus is base lined by others in terms of noise levels, suspension, etc. as to how quiet it is. It's something worth asking her - if she prioritizes such things.
On the long run - you'll be living with her. Not sure about it but if Lexus is so near and Mazda not so near - what happens when maintenance time comes? Have you wondered whether she'll ask YOU to do all the maintenance since its you who cajoled her into a Mazda, whereas if it was Lexus she could have easily done it, being so near?

I understand you asked for pointers on how to sway her TOWARDS Mazda and here I am saying the opposite. However, its important to see both the sides. That's how you can formulate your argument. I would however, in your place reach out to some of her close friends. Nothing beats swaying a girl if her trusted best girl also says the same. You might want to tag that girl around during test drive. Important thing here is to have Mazda test driven last and make sure to select Soul Red color - Signature trim (if 2017) or GT (if 2018). Carry with you a flash drive with her favorite music. Insert it ONLY when test driving the Mazda. Talk about YOUR family when in Lexus, HER family when in Mazda.

These are small things - but they work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back