New CX5 2016 owner. MPG & Avg speed question

:
2016 CX5 GT
Hello all. I just picked up a 2016 CX5 Grand Touring last Monday. I am curious how the average speed and MPG is calculated. It never seems to change. Since I picked it up it always says 27 mph for average speed and 24.2 for MPG. I can change the info to display current MPG and that does in real-time show you MPG, but I’m not sure how the average is supposed to work. I’m not sure if I need to reset it or calibrate it somehow.

I though maybe it was linked to the trip. I had to put my fist full tank of gas in this morning. When doing that I reset both trip A and B, however the averages are still the same.

In my VW I have, the average MPG updates maybe every 30 to 60 seconds, while the real-time MPG updates every second.

Thanks for any info you have!

Hold down the info button 3 secs to reset avg spd and mpg. Otherwise it will settle and never change.

Yes, the "INFO" button on the steering wheel has movement in 3 directions, UP, DOWN and straight in.

You must push the center of the button straight in until you see the desired display RESET to "---"

You must do this on each of the averages you wish to reset.

I do this at each fill up. So that I can track each tanks AVG SPEED and AVG MPG independently of the previous tank.

There's also a setting in the MPG app that allows you to synch average WITH trip a. Enable that and resetting trip A resets the MPG app, too.

Thanks everyone! That worked. I didn’t realize the button was more than a simple rocker switch.

I also found the setting in the app to sync with tripA.

I only had the car for a week and I haven’t had a lot of free time to browse the manual too much yet, posting here was easy to do on my phone during a break at work.

Great!

Also you will still have to go and RESET the AVG SPEED manually, regardless of the "sync to TRIP A" setting.

Since we are on the subject of the "TRIP A" knob, this same knob on the cluster controls the DAY/Night illumination. Just turn the Trip knob clockwise or counter clockwise to set the desired illumination level.

And push and HOLD the Commander Knob on a radio station and it will add it to your Favorites!

That one is not in the manual?!?

And push and HOLD the Commander Knob on a radio station and it will add it to your Favorites!

That one is not in the manual?!?

Ah yes that one the salesman showed me! I like how it appears there’s an unlimited number of favorites. Maybe there is a limit, but if there is I haven’t reached it yet.

I did notice you can turn the knob that also doubles as a trip reset. It did look like from the indicator that it has to do with gauge cluster brightness. It was daytime and headlights are in “auto” mode, so I couldn’t tell a difference at all from turning it.

I’m sure there’s other little tricks I haven’t discovered yet. Overall though I love the car and it’s a welcome change from driving VW’s most of my life.

Average speed.
Is that another something Gen1 has that Gen2 doesn't?

Average speed.
Is that another something Gen1 has that Gen2 doesn't?

Yes, it is one of the options along with viewing Current MPG, Average MPG, Range.

That's on my 2014, no package, and mine don't reset. So I can actually say my lifetime average for MPG is 26.5, down from 27-28 as I am mostly city driving now.

Probably functions a bit differently with the newer Gen1's (2016's) if you guys are able to reset these numbers. The only thing that my reset resets are the trip meters.

I would have loved one with a LCD display in the right circle rather than a multi-segment LCD. I think that’s on the 2016.5’s with adaptive cruise control right? They just didn’t have one of those in my price range. Though I love the car it drives nice and maybe next time we’ll have to see what they come up with in a few years.

Back