Drag race : Mazda Cx5 2016 vs 2018

There's no market. Disproportionate or not. Manual transmissions make up 3% of the US Market. 3...percent. Face it, dinosaurs...the writing is on the wall.
The disappearing stick shift: Less than 3% of cars sold in the U.S. have manual transmissions

http://www.latimes.com/business/aut...-disappearing-stick-shift-20161115-story.html

Though I agree, they should. You can't blame them.

Market or not, Honda made the v6 2 door accord 6 speed manual for years. Mazda should do us a solid like that!

It's like the typewriter, VHS player and cassette player. It's time to let it go

Manuals are eventually going to be all but gone. They have autos that can be put into manual mode....

Market or not, Honda made the v6 2 door accord 6 speed manual for years. Mazda should do us a solid like that!

Honda sells enough of everything that they could take a loss on a few specialty items. But they don't do it for long.
Mazda sadly can't afford to subsidize our wishlist.
Solid, shmalid. We're not their bros, we're just their customers.
But we can dream and complain.

It's like the typewriter, VHS player and cassette player. It's time to let it go

Manuals are eventually going to be all but gone. They have autos that can be put into manual mode....

True. [I admit I still have all three of those things in the garage. Don't use em, tho...]

But manual mode is a far cry from a stick with a clutch. That left foot work is half the fun.

Horse doody.

People still do all manner of things because they're fun regardless of how practical or pragmatic.

Auto's, no matter how well they're designed - more efficient, faster or otherwise - are simply not as engaging or fun to drive. It's isn't about obsolescence.

And to get back to the drag, I stomped it today from a stop [I almost never drive like that], and it was by far the worst few seconds of driving satisfaction that I've had with this car.

In normal driving it feels great, peppy but not squirrelly. But when you've really got to move, it just ain't there. (drive2)

There's no market. Disproportionate or not. Manual transmissions make up 3% of the US Market. 3...percent. Face it, dinosaurs...the writing is on the wall.
The disappearing stick shift: Less than 3% of cars sold in the U.S. have manual transmissions

http://www.latimes.com/business/aut...-disappearing-stick-shift-20161115-story.html

Though I agree, they should. You can't blame them.

You watch your mouth 7!..ok 3..percent can't argue with numbers but well here goes of the 97% of autos sold how many even had the chance to spec a manual? 10? Maybe..look there's still a place for manuals in this world but I won't cry if I can't spec my diesel cx5 as such. The 2.5T 6 though should probably at least offer it imo..although awd would be before the stick on my wish list.

You watch your mouth 7!..ok 3..percent can't argue with numbers but well here goes of the 97% of autos sold how many even had the chance to spec a manual? 10? Maybe..look there's still a place for manuals in this world but I won't cry if I can't spec my diesel cx5 as such. The 2.5T 6 though should probably at least offer it imo..although awd would be before the stick on my wish list.

Wonder if Mazda have even ran mules with 2.5T + manual (Mazda CX-9/Mazda 6) ....... (scratch)

At this point the only Mazds manual were likely to still have is the Miata. I look at dealer stock for Miatas a lot and they very rarely have automatics (as it should be).

Which is funny because I peruse a lot of used car sites for Miatas and I see a lot of automatics. Grrrr

Like I said, they should. But would they really sell enough here to make it worth it? Sold 3000 6s last month let's say. 3% of that, hell say 10%... 30 cars. Worth the added expense? Got to train all your techs to work on it...

Like I said, they should. But would they really sell enough here to make it worth it? Sold 3000 6s last month let's say. 3% of that, hell say 10%... 30 cars. Worth the added expense? Got to train all your techs to work on it...
Unfortunately this is the correct answer.

Think about it. If diesel isn't happening and it's a bigger market, then manuals just don't make much business sense. Sad to see it that way, but that's the truth.

The techs to work on it part is bs sorry it just is. Plenty of manuals still coming in nothing different about this one they all work pretty much same and when used properly very rarely fail anyway..cvts on the other hand.

Speed6..bring...it...back!!!! With a fkng manual driving matters yeah? How much?

Last edited:
I can see why the big manufacturers have aspirations to get rid of manual boxes because the can’t control emissions with them. I must admit the box and clutch in the CX-5s here are the slickest I’ve come across but if drivers are going to grow horns the most effective way is to take out the weak link. Do you not get the same effect changing manually or is something missing? I’m quite happy with my auto.

I can see why the big manufacturers have aspirations to get rid of manual boxes because the can’t control emissions with them. I must admit the box and clutch in the CX-5s here are the slickest I’ve come across but if drivers are going to grow horns the most effective way is to take out the weak link. Do you not get the same effect changing manually or is something missing? I’m quite happy with my auto.

I think it has a lot to do with the nanny systems like adaptive cruise and smart braking. Hard to implement with a manual.

People could just learn to drive sensibly without these nannies but this is where we are now.

Point well taken. Cost/benefit is all it boils down to. But many factors involved.
For the record, 10% x 3000 = 300, 3% x 3000 = 90. Big difference.

You wouldn't have to train ALL your techs, just one per dealership. Still, high cost for limited profit.

For some interesting actual sales numbers, check out the Dec 2017 y/y and m/m US sales figures. Bad news for sedans.

Last edited:

One less pedal to deal with

I think it has a lot to do with the nanny systems like adaptive cruise and smart braking. Hard to implement with a manual.

People could just learn to drive sensibly without these nannies but this is where we are now.

You would need to get a grip of mobile phone use while driving before that would happen.

Back