Drag race : Mazda Cx5 2016 vs 2018

That's something we have in common. It sounds better spoken than written.

Ya mean getting it backwards doesn't count?

I spent a few minutes with sport mode again today, after being previously unimpressed. It's just smoke and mirrors. It raises shift points, holds lower gears longer, makes the throttle more sensitive... but so what? It doesn't add any power. It might be fun on a really twisty, deserted road if I was too lazy to shift manually... but why bother? Manual will always give better speed and control. Around town and on the highway: useless.

Without that left pedal, shifting feels kind of useless anyway. Need to go fast anywhere else? Just stomp it.

Yep, agreed on all fronts. My foot is capable of articulating another few mm, and the button is needless complication.

Sports mode is supposed to sharpen throttle response but also when already at speed, keep the revs in the sweet spot.

Well, technically we cannot, but moderation is pretty loose in this forum. I am much more profane in person, and tend to restrict myself to TV14 on this forum as a self-imposed limit.

Not often I agree with every word of your statements but this one has a certain irony with it too. Incidentally, I tend to consider you fairly thick skinned but Chris seems to think one of my recent responses may have come across as very personal. If that really was the case, I sincerely apologise. I can come across as rather curt in a debate but it is never my intention to insult or bully.

Here's one for the discussion. My 17 diesel is noticeably quicker than my 16 was. Furthermore, I do think the handling is better but the 17 demonstrates it with much more subtleness so it doesn't feel it. I can throw my car into bends much faster than I could with the 16.

Not often I agree with every word of your statements but this one has a certain irony with it too. Incidentally, I tend to consider you fairly thick skinned but Chris seems to think one of my recent responses may have come across as very personal. If that really was the case, I sincerely apologise. I can come across as rather curt in a debate but it is never my intention to insult or bully.

Here's one for the discussion. My 17 diesel is noticeably quicker than my 16 was. Furthermore, I do think the handling is better but the 17 demonstrates it with much more subtleness so it doesn't feel it. I can throw my car into bends much faster than I could with the 16.

It's the internet. I deal with people screaming and yelling in my face and getting violent at work rather regularly. I honestly cannot recall whatever alleged transgression you are alluding to. We're good.

I think you're probably right about the 2017, I say that, because I have not driven one, hence "probably". It's like a Z06 vs. a Viper, back in the 2012 timeframe. Viper had higher absolute limits, but Z06 was far better for mere mortals to use to approach limits anywhere near what either could actually deliver. Although, in the CUV world, I'd argue the '17 just feels more composed, as I really doubt you're going to lose control of either one being anywhere near sensible.

I will state that in high-speed sweepers, I am very impressed with my 2015 CX5 at the limits of adhesion. It's VERY WELL behaved with no "bad tendencies" at the limit that I can detect. It's not the bipolar gf that the older 911's and Vipers were.

Sports mode is supposed to sharpen throttle response but also when already at speed, keep the revs in the sweet spot.

I still notice a decent difference when taking off from a stop with sports mode being on versus off. Think the throttle is just much more sensitive and just a tap sends you off as if you pressed it much harder in regular mode.

Well, technically we cannot, but moderation is pretty loose in this forum.

Wrong. Technically we can. Expressly we can.

From Section 4, subsection 4 of the rules and guidelines:

4. Profanity in thread titles, signatures, or public profile options is prohibited. While profanity is permitted within the text of a post, try to keep this at a minimum.

And considering the average age of this specific forum is probably 32 or maybe higher, I take my filter off.
;)

Why don't you and I discuss this tranny shifting privately. Talk to you soon buddy. :D

I spent a few minutes with sport mode again today, after being previously unimpressed. It's just smoke and mirrors. It raises shift points, holds lower gears longer, makes the throttle more sensitive... but so what? It doesn't add any power. It might be fun on a really twisty, deserted road if I was too lazy to shift manually... but why bother? Manual will always give better speed and control. Around town and on the highway: useless.

Without that left pedal, shifting feels kind of useless anyway. Need to go fast anywhere else? Just stomp it.

I couldn't agree more with your assessment of sport mode..never use on bimmer- find eco mode shockingly more useful and believe it or not more fun..because its nothing, nothing, BANG!! Only complaint is you can't disable nannies when eco is engaged. I guess they thought drifting and eco friendly mode can't peacefully coexist..
I do manually shift my CX-5 frequently I just like full control, used to it..but esp when slowing or descending steeper grades, also in snow it comes in very handy I think.

Last edited:
Wrong. Technically we can. Expressly we can.

From Section 4, subsection 4 of the rules and guidelines:

4. Profanity in thread titles, signatures, or public profile options is prohibited. While profanity is permitted within the text of a post, try to keep this at a minimum.

And considering the average age of this specific forum is probably 32 or maybe higher, I take my filter off.
;)

Why don't you and I discuss this tranny shifting privately. Talk to you soon buddy. :D

PM replied to, I took the "keep this at a minimum" text to be binding, arbitrary per moderation.

Its strange then that Mazda give slower 0-60 figures for the 2017.
And reports say the 2017 handling isn't as much fun.

With my day with the 2017 only thing I noticed was it was quieter on tick over, and the auto locking was now silent.
Yes your posting was very arrogant in my opinion.

Last edited:

With my day with the 2017 only thing I noticed was it was quieter on tick over, and the auto locking was now silent.
Yes your posting was very arrogant it my opinion.

I believe the difference is really small and not noticeable to drivers.

Yes your posting was very arrogant it my opinion.
Over here they still say it handles well

I still notice a decent difference when taking off from a stop with sports mode being on versus off. Think the throttle is just much more sensitive and just a tap sends you off as if you pressed it much harder in regular mode.
That is good to hear

Look guys. Don't even worry about that incident. Noone is "in trouble" or anything. We are just trying to cut down on hostilities because we have a lot of passionate good standing members here. Honestly don't sweat it.

2016 AWD-
SAE Net Horsepower @ RPM : 184 @ 5700
SAE Net Torque @ RPM : 185 @ 4000
Standing -mile: 16.0 sec @ 86 mph

2017 AWD -
SAE Net Horsepower @ RPM : 187 @ 6000
SAE Net Torque @ RPM : 185 @ 4000
Standing -mile: 16.4 sec @ 84 mph

So even at .4 seconds slower, I would still take the 2017 over the 2016 as the vehicle is much more refined and nicer to cruise around in, especially on the highway. The noise levels are down and interior comfort is up. Not that the 2016 was bad, just different. I enjoyed them both but in different ways.

So... can that be had in the US? Could it possibly be a dealer installed option? Seems unlikely.
Yep, you can have that in the US, I'm in California (just need to order, then install the parts)...and nope, not a dealer option in the US.

Yep, you can have that in the US, I'm in California (just need to order, then install the parts)...and nope, not a dealer option in the US.

Mazda Japan sells the part as an accessory

Is it also available from elsewhere (uhm)

Back