Drag race : Mazda Cx5 2016 vs 2018

I have not seen the video yet because I'm at work. Does anyone know if they used the same tires on both cars? Also I take it from the comments here, that the 2016 won?

It doesn't matter, the 2017 even got the hit on one go and still got pulled.

To me the whole idea of drag racing a CX5 is a bit dumb. Of course I grew up during the muscle car era.

Then you can ppreciate that the cx5 (pre-'17 at least... ;) )is faster 0 to 60 and in the quarter mile than many v8 pony and muscle cars from your era. Amazing to me, honestly.

Well duh. Of course the 2016 would beat the 2018. It weighs less even though power and torque are essentially the same give or take a few hp/ft lbs

Not really, look at the camaro and corvette. Nearly identical performance, even though the weights differ. Same story from 98 to 02, also. More afoot, here, imo

Seriously-- would that make a difference in a drag? If you're flat out, doesn't the tranny hold to redline even in normal mode?

I thought all sport mode did was raise shift points and keep it in no higher than 4th. That would be irrelevant in a 0-60 drag.

The few times I tried sport mode, I couldn't feel a difference off the line. Didn't time it, tho.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Sports mode is worthless for encounters like this video depicted. Does nothing. I dunno why people ever even wanted it. It's equal to tow mode in a truck.

Ah HA, said Dr. Frawd!!

Probably a joke I am not getting.

To further explain my disdain for wagons, the aforementioned Subaru Outback wagons growing up in the mountains in Colorado....everyone and their mother had a damn Outback (we did not, we had Jeeps). Inevitably, once you got on the highway, Everytime a car was backing up traffic (going 10 under the speed limit in passing lane, keeping up with car in slow lane, etc), it was almost always an Outback.

My sister will say the same thing.

As an adult I've never really liked Subaru since. At least on their CUV/wagon side I associate with slow ass drivers.

My Mom on the other hand bought a Crosstrek. We make fun of her endlessly for doing so (lol)

Last edited:
Probably a joke I am not getting.

To further explain my disdain for wagons, the aforementioned Subaru Outback wagons growing up in the mountains in Colorado....everyone and their mother had a damn Outback (we did not, we had Jeeps). Inevitably, once you got on the highway, Everytime a car was backing up traffic (going 10 under the speed limit in passing lane, keeping up with car in slow lane, etc), it was almost always an Outback.

My sister will say the same thing.

As an adult I've never really liked Subaru since. At least on their CUV/wagon side I associate with slow ass drivers.

My Mom on the other hand bought a Crosstrek. We make fun of her endlessly for doing so (lol)

Around here it's minivans and prius. Most people who own Subaru (of all models) are very fit, outdoors types, in my region.

the only common denominator around here for left-lane-hoggers is that they're on their stupid phones. doesn't seem to matter what they drive.

So apparently I AM the only person on Earth that doesn't consider the CX-5 'slow'. Not at all.
That's fine.
Don't get me wrong... I wouldn't call it fast. But slow? No.
Have you driven your mom's Crosstrek, C-D?
Has anyone driven a 1998 Plymouth Breeze? The car my wife was driving when I met her.
You want to talk S L O W.
And if you think Sport mode is worthless, I encourage you to come take a ride with me. :D

So apparently I AM the only person on Earth that doesn't consider the CX-5 'slow'. Not at all.
That's fine.
Has anyone driven a 1998 Plymouth Breeze? The car my wife was driving when I met her.
And if you think Sport mode is worthless, I encourage you to come take a ride with me. :D

Yes. And it is like seriously dog slow. If people want to talk actual slow vehicles instead of keeping on with apples to oranges CUV to car comparisons, drive a Crosstrek.

No sport mode on mine, but drive with me when I am using my manual mode and tell me it's slow. :D

Hell, even just leaving it in automatic.

That's fine.

I would if I were local. Ridden in a Sport Mode CX5 and couldn't tell. Maybe yours is different? This one was tuned and modded.

That's fine.

Its alot closer to slow than fast but its perfectly adequate in most situations for what it is..have we gotten spoiled? Yes
I liked the Crosstrek esp for the $ but I deemed it slow to the point being dangerous even with the manual- had to rule it out.

Stumped me on Plymouth Breeze..mine had a Saturn SL2 coupe stick because she was so cool:)..what a POS!! Gas to oil burn ratio was only about 50:1- oh but it had lumber support..not a typo..felt like the thin edge of a 2x4 being jammed into the sciatic nerve..thanks.

Sport mode is worthless to me (yes I've sampled it in a 2016 CX5) in the sense that with extra throttle input (big deal?) and manual mode I can achieve exactly the same "thrills" I'd take paddles over sport mode in a heartbeat.
FFDP/Breaking Benjamin/Nothing More..August. I'd go just to see FFDP and Nothing More again but we've been waiting for Ben to come around so all 3 is a slam dunk. VB still overseas:(

Last edited:
I used SPORT mode a bit when I first got the car last December. Turn it on occasionally. Then I didn't for the longest time.
This past summer I drove over the river and through the woods to grandma's house. About an hour and 20 minutes. 50 minutes of it all highway. I put it in Sport for the entire trip. Maybe I don't know as much about cars as I think I do but being in Sport the entire time for that drive it felt like a different car. Much peppier, way more responsive. Of course I was driving very spiritedly but I was REALLY pleasantly surprised by how much fun it was to drive like that the whole way... Changed my opinion of it.

Have yet to see BB, AND my boss of all people wanted me to go last time they were here with him. Thought that was a bit odd, so I passed.

Volb + Metallica in Cleveland: February 2019. Apparently they are liking touring with Metallica.

I used SPORT mode a bit when I first got the car last December. Turn it on occasionally. Then I didn't for the longest time.
This past summer I drove over the river and through the woods to grandma's house. About an hour and 20 minutes. 50 minutes of it all highway. I put it in Sport for the entire trip. Maybe I don't know as much about cars as I think I do but being in Sport the entire time for that drive it felt like a different car. Much peppier, way more responsive. Of course I was driving very spiritedly but I was REALLY pleasantly surprised by how much fun it was to drive like that the whole way... Changed my opinion of it.

Have yet to see BB, AND my boss of all people wanted me to go last time they were here with him. Thought that was a bit odd, so I passed.

Volb + Metallica in Cleveland: February 2019. Apparently they are liking touring with Metallica.

I put my Jeep in Tow mode in the mountains once. It was kindof convenient in much the same way.

I have not heard anything new from Metallica since Death Magnetic, and really gravitate to their pre Black Album stuff. Are they doing anything new, and is it good?

Honestly not really following them either. It's the opener, Volbeat, that Monterra and I are obsessed with. [emoji869]

Manual mode does not quite equate to Sport mode. You can drive the 2016 CX-5 in manual mode and it will still not be as responsive as Sport Mode + manual mode. Sport mode doesn't only keep the engine in its powerband, it also increases throttle sensitivity. With manual mode and sport mode off, you will have to step on the gas pedal more to get the car moving. As 7 has said, driving with sport mode on is like driving a different car.

Of course if you are driving at 70 mph and turn on sport mode, it won't make a difference because that's where the CX-5 is already underpowered.

I still like them a lot but the obsession has turned to my X1s replacement, where's my diesel CX-5, etc..

Manual mode does not quite equate to Sport mode. You can drive the 2016 CX-5 in manual mode and it will still not be as responsive as Sport Mode + manual mode. Sport mode doesn't only keep the engine in its powerband, it also increases throttle sensitivity. With manual mode and sport mode off, you will have to step on the gas pedal more to get the car moving. As 7 has said, driving with sport mode on is like driving a different car.

I understand that. I am just working with what I got on my 2014. And even there without sport mode, it feels fast.

Of course if you are driving at 70 mph and turn on sport mode, it won't make a difference because that's where the CX-5 is already underpowered.

Right but what are we talking about..a 20% throttle tip in requires ~50% without it? I'm not saying I'd never use it but yeah I actually might never use it. I think it could be more useful on the highway where maybe I want a quick double or even triple kick down vs going from 6th to 5th to 4th manually. I assume sport mode would be beneficial there but again full stab in D I think I'd get a very similar result just have to invoke more throttle.

Last edited:
Back