Drag race : Mazda Cx5 2016 vs 2018

Actually, correct.

Hatchbacks and wagons are styles of car bodies. Wagons generally have longer rooflines and more upright rear hatches, but are otherwise basically the same as hatchbacks. When the first hatchbacks came out, they were marketed to people who wanted the "utility" of a wagon. But "wagons" had gone out of style, and fastbacks were "cool", so hatchbacks were designed. CUVs are raised wagons/hatchbacks with taller bodies, but still based on car unibody platforms [whereas SUVs are body on frame].

The CX-5 is a CUV, which is a fat, taller, raised hatchback or wagon, depending on how you look at that beautiful fat bootie.

But who cares what you call it. It seems like you've got that old American antipathy to "station wagons".

I'm really glad you love your 14, CD. Don't let anybody rain on your parade. Yours was the sportiest mid-priced CUV in 14. The CX-5 still is. But it ain't now and never was a "driver's car". It is, and was, the best CUV for people who like driving, a "driver's CUV" if you must. Which is probably the ultimate reason that any of us bought ours instead of one of those other brands.
I think "drivers CUV" is exactly what I stated. Pretty sure someone else called it car.

Actually, correct.

Hatchbacks and wagons are styles of car bodies. Wagons generally have longer rooflines and more upright rear hatches, but are otherwise basically the same as hatchbacks. When the first hatchbacks came out, they were marketed to people who wanted the "utility" of a wagon. But "wagons" had gone out of style, and fastbacks were "cool", so hatchbacks were designed. CUVs are raised wagons/hatchbacks with taller bodies, but still based on car unibody platforms [whereas SUVs are body on frame].

The CX-5 is a CUV, which is a fat, taller, raised hatchback or wagon, depending on how you look at that beautiful fat bootie.

But who cares what you call it. It seems like you've got that old American antipathy to "station wagons".

I'm really glad you love your 14, CD. Don't let anybody rain on your parade. Yours was the sportiest mid-priced CUV in 14. The CX-5 still is. But it ain't now and never was a "driver's car". It is, and was, the best CUV for people who like driving, a "driver's CUV" if you must. Which is probably the ultimate reason that any of us bought ours instead of one of those other brands.

xgvldrqprdyqezaspasz.jpg

True but the SkyActiv engine seems to be a lot more sensitive to the right foot. The real time meter in the info screen shows this. Just take some slight pressure off the throttle and watch the needle swing to the right.

Yes but now that got a bit tougher to modulate..some ppl appreciate it, but not me.

all you CX-5 owners better have a damn good reason to be pissing away that much fuel savings on the highway just to sit higher up.

I've got several damn good reasons for wanting and having a CX-5 over a 6 or any other sedan, and whether you agree with them or not, they are valid from my point of view. I've been driving fuel efficient cars from my first, a '72 Datsun 510, until now and I don't need you to judge if I'm "pissing away" fuel or not!

I've got several damn good reasons for wanting and having a CX-5 over a 6 or any other sedan, and whether you agree with them or not, they are valid from my point of view. I've been driving fuel efficient cars from my first, a '72 Datsun 510, until now and I don't need you to judge if I'm "pissing away" fuel or not!

Preach it.

Go sell your self-righteous pissing away fuel crap and have your circle-jerk on the electric car forums GJ-Molestor.

I have my reasons for buying something higher off the ground and that's good enough for me. Namely, I don't like driving sedans. Period. I like being higher off the ground. Period.

A sports car, coupe, or convertible is one thing. But a sedan? No thanks, you can keep it.

Last edited:
I think Cylinder deactivation kicked in on the 18...yeah that's what it is. (nana)

Lmao. Missed that post from GJ saying I better have a damn good reason. On my list of reasons for wanting a CX-5 "sitting high up" wasn't on the list. At all.
Neither was MPG.
Although my first 4 cars were V8s, and every car since has been a 4. I think I've done my part for the planet.
#1 Utility. I wanted a hatchback or wagon. No one makes one that I like. The C30? What a joke of a hatchback. No wonder that's dead. Volvos wagon? Too expensive but about the only one I'd consider. Elantra? No. Subaru? Close but too small still.
#2 Looks. I'm shallow. I think I've said that. This is actually tied for #1. The only CUVs I seriously considered we're the ones I thought looked good.
#3 I like how it drives. I like that real tranny that I can hear, and massage.
#4 Second row room for my son.
#5 Not the best seller. I don't like to drive what everyone else drives. One reason I've never bought a Honda or Toyota. Although I did test drive a CRV. The Honda dealer was close to the Subaru dealer. Totally went in there biased that I'd hate it. I didn't...but I didn't love it.

News alert update!

The 2016 had the SPORT MODE activated while the 2018 did not. That's why the 2018 was a tad bit slower. Mystery solved!

+1

Preach it.

Go sell your self-righteous pissing away fuel crap and have your circle-jerk on the electric car forums GJ-Molestor.

I have my reasons for buying something higher off the ground and that's good enough for me. Namely, I don't like driving sedans. Period. I like being higher off the ground. Period.

A sports car, coupe, or convertible is one thing. But a sedan? No thanks, you can keep it.
+1

Lmao. Missed that post from GJ saying I better have a damn good reason. On my list of reasons for wanting a CX-5 "sitting high up" wasn't on the list. At all.
Neither was MPG.
Although my first 4 cars were V8s, and every car since has been a 4. I think I've done my part for the planet.
#1 Utility. I wanted a hatchback or wagon. No one makes one that I like. The C30? What a joke of a hatchback. No wonder that's dead. Volvos wagon? Too expensive but about the only one I'd consider. Elantra? No. Subaru? Close but too small still.
#2 Looks. I'm shallow. I think I've said that. This is actually tied for #1. The only CUVs I seriously considered we're the ones I thought looked good.
#3 I like how it drives. I like that real tranny that I can hear, and massage.
#4 Second row room for my son.
#5 Not the best seller. I don't like to drive what everyone else drives. One reason I've never bought a Honda or Toyota. Although I did test drive a CRV. The Honda dealer was close to the Subaru dealer. Totally went in there biased that I'd hate it. I didn't...but I didn't love it.
+1

What does GJ stand for? heh heh heh

News alert update!

The 2016 had the SPORT MODE activated while the 2018 did not. That's why the 2018 was a tad bit slower. Mystery solved!

Seriously-- would that make a difference in a drag? If you're flat out, doesn't the tranny hold to redline even in normal mode?

I thought all sport mode did was raise shift points and keep it in no higher than 4th. That would be irrelevant in a 0-60 drag.

The few times I tried sport mode, I couldn't feel a difference off the line. Didn't time it, tho.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

My turtle beat your turtle in a race.....lol. I never looked at the CX-5 as a drag or Race car when I was test driving and the only reason I bought a 2018 is because it's 2018 (I wanted new). If it was 2 years ago, it would have been a 2016. I like all the CX-5 year models. They each have something to offer.

When the lease is up in Sept, we will be buying our 2015 Touring. For one thing I do not like electric parking brakes. So I'll give up a little in in a quieter, smooth riding suspension. I'll stick with acceleration, and handling.

The CX-5 NEVER WAS a "driver's car". It's always been a CUV, and a slow one at that. It drives better than any other CUV in its price range, but that's setting a pretty low bar.
Gen1 is a bit faster and has less agressive stability control than Gen2, but it's still just a slow, fat wagon.
Now it's quieter and more comfortable, and a slightly, just slightly, slower and fatter wagon.
And I love it.

I couldn't agree more, but 2 years ago we were in a minority of that.

If I remember that thread right you also wanted a bigger gas tank to add even more weight.

As it stands, my CX-5 is closer in weight to a 2015 Miata than it is to a 2018 CX-5 GT AWD.
(popcorn)

I still do. The range is pathetic given the mpg. Worse than my v8 Suv

Back