Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Drag race : Mazda Cx5 2016 vs 2018

I thought that was a great explanation. How am I still not making this clear? Upshifts?!?! I didn't say anything about upshifts.

Resident barbarian ColoradoDriver's Avatar
    Donated: $5

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

Quote Originally Posted by 7eregrine View Post
    I thought that was a great explanation. How am I still not making this clear? Upshifts?!?! I didn't say anything about upshifts.
    I just caught how he said upshift. Mine will hold gear for a few seconds before downshifting if I stab it to a high RPM range and then let off the gas.
    2014 CX-5 Touring AWD | Jet Black Mica - 76k miles
    01/2013 build | 4/20/2013 buy

2017 CX-5 GT AWD Tech

There's only one way to get to the bottom of this.

HEY ANCHORMAN

GOT A PDF ON SPORT MODE???????????

2017 CX-5 GT AWD Tech

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoDriver View Post
    Probably a joke I am not getting.
    Sorry. Just a play on words. Dr Freud. Some people thought he was a little off base.

'18 Mazda CX-5 Akera KG i-Activ AWD 2.5L In Sonic Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    Not really, look at the camaro and corvette. Nearly identical performance, even though the weights differ. Same story from 98 to 02, also. More afoot, here, imo
    How much weight difference between Camaro & Corvette

It should be remembered that any extra weight increase hits a NA 4 cylinder more than a V8

Not to mention the 2.5NA doesn't have shovel amounts of torque at the bottom end like a V8 does.
    Last edited by Xeler8ing; 03-13-2018 at 08:29 PM.

Registered Member

CX5 2.5L AWD

You're failing to make it clear because you don't understand how transmissions work, per your post, which severely weakens your argument for a feature affecting transmission behavior regarding up and down shifting through the gear range.

That's not it at all. It runs the gears differently. When you step on the gas with Sport on it acts just like with Sport off. The major difference is when you let off the pedal. The gears are held longer. So you without Sport, your car downshifts. Mine in Sport does not. It's still higher in the rev range. So if I need to apply the gas again, I am still in the higher torque range of the gear I was in = where more power is available. I can accelerate faster because my car hasn't downshifted.
    That's about the best I can explain it.
    And I'm done trying.
    Mine doesn't upshift either for about 3 to 4 seconds or so, if you stab and let off as you describe. I haven't played the jumping at an adversary game in it though. It doesn't have enough power to do it noticeably, lol! Makes for a super weak taunt.
    Last edited by Unobtanium; 03-13-2018 at 08:23 PM.

Mazda CX-5 Akera

So apparently I AM the only person on Earth that doesn't consider the CX-5 'slow'. Not at all.
    That's fine.
    Don't get me wrong... I wouldn't call it fast. But slow? No.
    Have you driven your mom's Crosstrek, C-D?
    Has anyone driven a 1998 Plymouth Breeze? The car my wife was driving when I met her.
    You want to talk S L O W.
    And if you think Sport mode is worthless, I encourage you to come take a ride with me.
    True. We shouldn't be comparing it to all other types of vehicles on the road, especially ones that are intended to be performance oriented. 0-60mph in the 8s is not bad. Not so long ago my V6 sedan could only do 0-60mph in 8 secs flat.

In comparison with its direct competitors, the CX-5 is closer to the "faster" range than the "slower" range. What is slow is something like the RAV4, Rogue, Sportage.

Registered Member

CX5 2.5L AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Xeler8ing View Post
    How much weight difference between Camaro & Corvette

It should be remembered that any extra weight increase hits a NA 4 cylinder more than a V8
    Around 3400# for the corvette, around 3700# for the Camaro.

Very true about i4 vs v8, but look at the 1/4 mile and 0-60 times. They are typically within 1/10 of a second of on another between the Camaro and Corvette.

Quote Originally Posted by m8te View Post
    True. We shouldn't be comparing it to all other types of vehicles on the road, especially ones that are intended to be performance oriented. 0-60mph in the 8s is not bad. Not so long ago my V6 sedan could only do 0-60mph in 8 secs flat.

In comparison with its direct competitors, the CX-5 is closer to the "faster" range than the "slower" range. What is slow is something like the RAV4, Rogue, Sportage.
    Those are also boring vehicles and actually sound like appliances!

Around 3400# for the corvette, around 3700# for the Camaro.

Very true about i4 vs v8, but look at the 1/4 mile and 0-60 times. They are typically within 1/10 of a second of on another between the Camaro and Corvette.
    I agree but extra weight seems to have more of an impact on this 2.5NA which if you want to look at performance wise, is actually better suited to Mazda 3 and Mazda 6 as they both weigh a decent amount less than the CX-5.

Registered Member

CX5 2.5L AWD

Quote Originally Posted by m8te View Post

Actually, the CX5 AWD now that the acceleration has been downgraded for 2017+, is only about 0.3 seconds faster to 60 than the RAV 4 AWD (8.4 vs 8.7 seconds). Which leads me to my next point...this is much smaller than the over half second gap between the 2014-2016.5 CX5 and 2017+ CX5, so it's fair, by your standards, to say that "the pre-2017's are legitimately fast, compared to something slow, like a 2017+ CX5".

The Kia Sportage (i4 2.4L, AWD, 184bhp) is actually faster than any 2017+ CX5 tested, at 8.0 seconds 0-60.

The Rogue is still a dog.

You're failing to make it clear because you don't understand how transmissions work, per your post, which severely weakens your argument for a feature affecting transmission behavior regarding up and down shifting through the gear range.
    You can just fuck right off. I clearly do understand transmissions.
    That was a very clear explanation that you still don't seem to grasp and I'm the one who doesn't understand tranny's? Bwahaha
    Ah...I reread your post and I see where your confusion lies. I didn't say stab and let off. But I'm not going into it again. I feel like I'm trying to explain color to a blind man.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

'14 liquid CX-5 AWD GT tech

Well...look I know what you meant which was the car upshifts after a burst of power w/o sport mode..not down, downshift is what happens when you floor it..but again this phenomena is pretty easily replicated via manual mode unless I'm not picking up what you're putting down.
    247 community defender of: gen1 steering, styling, seats and gated shifter, compression ignition, rwd, Asian twins, winter tires, manual: tailgates, transmissions, ebrakes, also liquid silver and Lawson's Liquids FTFW!

My automotive lineage:
    1983 Toyota Celica GTS 5MT- aka rustback
    1984 Toyota Supra 5MT- change averse much?
    1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo 5MT- good times- newfound respect for term mid-engined oversteer!
    2002 MB C230 Coupe 6MT- 1st new car(chosen over GTI) and a good one until gremlins came
    +good house/bad driveway
    2006 Acura TL 6MT (shortest ownership by far 1year of tq steer&driveway fails>enough)
    2007 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L -not much to say boring excellence?
    2009 BMW 128i 6MT - End of the old-school bimmers probably should have kept.. wanted 4drs
    2014 Mazda CX-5 AWD GT - what can I say not so boring excellence? I continue to be impressed.
    2015 BMW X1 RWD Msport - Liked it, fast enough and still did donuts, e-steering wouldn't let me love it
    and then..?

Mazda CX-5 Akera

Actually, the CX5 AWD now that the acceleration has been downgraded for 2017+, is only about 0.3 seconds faster to 60 than the RAV 4 AWD (8.4 vs 8.7 seconds). Which leads me to my next point...this is much smaller than the over half second gap between the 2014-2016.5 CX5 and 2017+ CX5, so it's fair, by your standards, to say that "the pre-2017's are legitimately fast, compared to something slow, like a 2017+ CX5".

The Kia Sportage (i4 2.4L, AWD, 184bhp) is actually faster than any 2017+ CX5 tested, at 8.0 seconds 0-60.

The Rogue is still a dog.
    It's true what you said that the 2017+ have narrowed the gap to the other appliances. The Kia is certainly not faster in any tests here in Oz at least. I guess I really need to start referencing the current gen CX-5 model in discussions despite owning the previous gen CX-5 myself

Registrierte Benutzer Chris_Top_Her's Avatar
    Donated: $45
    CX Moderator

'15 CX-5 Miata GT AWD w/Tech 2.5L

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast