Drag race : Mazda Cx5 2016 vs 2018

True. We shouldn't be comparing it to all other types of vehicles on the road, especially ones that are intended to be performance oriented. 0-60mph in the 8s is not bad. Not so long ago my V6 sedan could only do 0-60mph in 8 secs flat.

In comparison with its direct competitors, the CX-5 is closer to the "faster" range than the "slower" range. What is slow is something like the RAV4, Rogue, Sportage.

Actually, the CX5 AWD now that the acceleration has been downgraded for 2017+, is only about 0.3 seconds faster to 60 than the RAV 4 AWD (8.4 vs 8.7 seconds). Which leads me to my next point...this is much smaller than the over half second gap between the 2014-2016.5 CX5 and 2017+ CX5, so it's fair, by your standards, to say that "the pre-2017's are legitimately fast, compared to something slow, like a 2017+ CX5".

The Kia Sportage (i4 2.4L, AWD, 184bhp) is actually faster than any 2017+ CX5 tested, at 8.0 seconds 0-60.

The Rogue is still a dog.

You're failing to make it clear because you don't understand how transmissions work, per your post, which severely weakens your argument for a feature affecting transmission behavior regarding up and down shifting through the gear range.
You can just **** right off. I clearly do understand transmissions.
That was a very clear explanation that you still don't seem to grasp and I'm the one who doesn't understand tranny's? Bwahaha
Ah...I reread your post and I see where your confusion lies. I didn't say stab and let off. But I'm not going into it again. I feel like I'm trying to explain color to a blind man.

Well...look I know what you meant which was the car upshifts after a burst of power w/o sport mode..not down, downshift is what happens when you floor it..but again this phenomena is pretty easily replicated via manual mode unless I'm not picking up what you're putting down.

Actually, the CX5 AWD now that the acceleration has been downgraded for 2017+, is only about 0.3 seconds faster to 60 than the RAV 4 AWD (8.4 vs 8.7 seconds). Which leads me to my next point...this is much smaller than the over half second gap between the 2014-2016.5 CX5 and 2017+ CX5, so it's fair, by your standards, to say that "the pre-2017's are legitimately fast, compared to something slow, like a 2017+ CX5".

The Kia Sportage (i4 2.4L, AWD, 184bhp) is actually faster than any 2017+ CX5 tested, at 8.0 seconds 0-60.

The Rogue is still a dog.

It's true what you said that the 2017+ have narrowed the gap to the other appliances. The Kia is certainly not faster in any tests here in Oz at least. I guess I really need to start referencing the current gen CX-5 model in discussions despite owning the previous gen CX-5 myself :)

XOsDjwefpt-12.png

LOL Chris.
Not mad Unob...y'know, **** right off like I'd tell a buddy at the bar. I love that we can swear here. [emoji4]
I'm talking about when you accelerate like to get up an onramp.Holding the pedal, revs are getting up there. We both get on the freeway then let off the gas. Your car will immediately start to downshift. It's what a CX-5 without Sport on does. My car, in Sport will hold that upper gear quite a bit longer. So then if I do give it more gas, I'm still in 4th at 4000 rpms. You've since dropped to 3rd and lower in the range.
Yes this can also be forced with the shifter to an extent.

It's true what you said that the 2017+ have narrowed the gap to the other appliances. The Kia is certainly not faster in any tests here in Oz at least. I guess I really need to start referencing the current gen CX-5 model in discussions despite owning the previous gen CX-5 myself :)

Time for one of the sites here to do a mass comparison perhaps (uhm) Maybe will happen when updated CX-5 is released in the not to distant future!

A clear winner.
That's funny. Just spend all your time between 6000 and 6250!
And it mentioned paddles and tip shift in the same sentence. It can't have both unless I don't know what he's talking about.
Do you have CX-5 paddles in Oz?

I think that could be a mistake. I don't believe it has shift paddles here. It may not be the fastest nor the slowest but the CX-5 engine and transmission makes for a good combo.

I think that could be a mistake. I don't believe it has shift paddles here. It may not be the fastest nor the slowest but the CX-5 engine and transmission makes for a good combo.

No paddle shifters offered in Oz land.

A clear winner.
That's funny. Just spend all your time between 6000 and 6250!
And it mentioned paddles and tip shift in the same sentence. It can't have both unless I don't know what he's talking about.
Do you have CX-5 paddles in Oz?

I know the article was referencing the newer models, but yes the CX-5 can be had with paddles and tip shift (mine has both). The tip shift is standard, the paddles can be added from parts out of the Japanese catalog. I'm guessing the tester they had came equipped with both as well.

I know the article was referencing the newer models, but yes the CX-5 can be had with paddles and tip shift (mine has both). The tip shift is standard, the paddles can be added from parts out of the Japanese catalog. I'm guessing the tester they had came equipped with both as well.

So... can that be had in the US? Could it possibly be a dealer installed option? Seems unlikely.

LOL Chris.
Not mad Unob...y'know, **** right off like I'd tell a buddy at the bar. I love that we can swear here. [emoji4]
I'm talking about when you accelerate like to get up an onramp.Holding the pedal, revs are getting up there. We both get on the freeway then let off the gas. Your car will immediately start to downshift. It's what a CX-5 without Sport on does. My car, in Sport will hold that upper gear quite a bit longer. So then if I do give it more gas, I'm still in 4th at 4000 rpms. You've since dropped to 3rd and lower in the range.

Well, technically we cannot, but moderation is pretty loose in this forum. I am much more profane in person, and tend to restrict myself to TV14 on this forum as a self-imposed limit.

You really don't know what you're talking about. Just stop. It looks really bad for you when you post stuff like t his and then accuse me of being obtuse. You remind me of so many people who have never driven a manual who constantly asked me to "Throw it in 6th and punch it!" back when I had sports cars.

Please, will someone this guy trusts gently take him by the hand and help him understand gearing/transmissions/etc?

Last edited:
Should have got a tune

I am VERY curious what a tuned 2017 would run vs. a tuned 2016.5, at the strip. I also wonder if a legit tuner could get around the stability control parameters...but watching that race, it's more than stability control, it just flat out got walked.

Hey 7, I think I know what you're trying to say but you've got your terminology ass backwards (or back asswards), so I offer my assistance (always drove a stick from 1969-2001).

I'm talking about when you accelerate like to get up an onramp. Holding the pedal, revs are getting up there. We both get on the freeway then let off the gas. Your car will immediately start to upshift (to 5th or 6th). It's what a CX-5 without Sport on does. My car, in Sport will hold that lower gear quite a bit longer. So then if I do give it more gas, I'm still in 4th at 4000 rpms. You've since dropped to 5th or 6th and lower in the rpm range.

Think about it and see if this is what you really mean.

Personally, I've tried sport mode but prefer manual mode when the situation arises. Different strokes for different folks.

Well, technically we cannot, but moderation is pretty loose in this forum. I am much more profane in person, and tend to restrict myself to TV14 on this forum as a self-imposed limit.

You really don't know what you're talking about. Just stop. It looks really bad for you when you post stuff like t his and then accuse me of being obtuse. You remind me of so many people who have never driven a manual who constantly asked me to "Throw it in 6th and punch it!" back when I had sports cars.

Please, will someone this guy trusts gently take him by the hand and help him understand gearing/transmissions/etc?

That's something we have in common. It sounds better spoken than written.

Ya mean getting it backwards doesn't count?

I spent a few minutes with sport mode again today, after being previously unimpressed. It's just smoke and mirrors. It raises shift points, holds lower gears longer, makes the throttle more sensitive... but so what? It doesn't add any power. It might be fun on a really twisty, deserted road if I was too lazy to shift manually... but why bother? Manual will always give better speed and control. Around town and on the highway: useless.

Without that left pedal, shifting feels kind of useless anyway. Need to go fast anywhere else? Just stomp it.

Last edited:
Back