2017+ Aux CD Player

:
2017 CX5 AWD Touring
Sadly, the 2017+ does not have a CD player unlike the <2016 versions had. I bought a portable and hooked it up to the AUX port. The CD sounds is very clear and comes out very good. I wish I could control it from the Infotainment unit but any skips or pauses must be done on the CD player.

(mj)

1920px-Sony_D50_Discman.JPG

You don't need a CD player, use your USB inputs and control it through your Infotainment system.

You don't need a CD player, use your USB inputs and control it through your Infotainment system.

How do you play CD's without a CD player?

I am looking for a Bluetooth CD player / 10 disc CD changer also.

Last edited:
Anyway to have the portable CD player be controlled via the Infotainment system?

I doubt you can. 2 choices are usb mass storage device or Bluetooth for control from infotainment. I don't know of any cd player that supports either.

Why is it that you don't want to rip your CDs? It's so easy, so convenient...

If you want to control your CD player from the infotainment system, you'll need to find a portable CD player with bluetooth audio output. Unfortunately CDs were on their way out around the same time bluetooth was on it's way in, so you're not going to find anything from reputable brands.

Here's one I found on Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

If you want to control your CD player from the infotainment system, you'll need to find a portable CD player with bluetooth audio output. Unfortunately CDs were on their way out around the same time bluetooth was on it's way in, so you're not going to find anything from reputable brands.

As far as i can tell, the BT profile supported is audio only - so it will stream to BT speakers, but I doubt it supports the BT profiles that support play, pause, next track, etc.

Unless you have a multi-disk changer, it seems easier to just reach over and tap the button on the unit.

So with that CD player, it would allow Bluetooth control via the Infotainment?

So with that CD player, it would allow Bluetooth control via the Infotainment?

As I mentioned above, unless it supports BT profiles that allow remote control of tracks, then no. From reading that one, it only supports BT audio (streaming sound).

You need something that says it supports AVRCP BT profile (Audio/Video Remote Control)

I used to think that Mazda made a mistake by eliminating the CD player but after ripping about 50 CD's and placing them on a flash (thumb) drive I can see they made the right move.
It took me about an hour to rip the CD's, 10 minutes to copy the files to the flash drive and now all the CD's are at my fingertips. No loading/unloading CD's, hunting around for the one you want. Everything is presented at your fingertips. Even if the flash drive gets damaged all the CD's are backed up on my home computer.

I used to think that Mazda made a mistake by eliminating the CD player but after ripping about 50 CD's and placing them on a flash (thumb) drive I can see they made the right move.
It took me about an hour to rip the CD's, 10 minutes to copy the files to the flash drive and now all the CD's are at my fingertips. No loading/unloading CD's, hunting around for the one you want. Everything is presented at your fingertips. Even if the flash drive gets damaged all the CD's are backed up on my home computer.

Welcome to the 21st century! ;) Feels good right?

The problem with a USB/flash is the quality & sound are diminished. The BIT rates get reduced and compressed and the quality suffers. That is the problem with going from CD to USB.

The problem with a USB/flash is the quality & sound are diminished. The BIT rates get reduced and compressed and the quality suffers. That is the problem with going from CD to USB.
I imagine that's probably what we would run into using Bluetooth to broadcast the audio also.

All my CD'S are transferred to flash drives in mp3 format @ 320kbps and I can't hear the difference (especially with road noise in the background). If that's not good enough, try the FLAC (lossless) format. It takes quite a bit more storage space (about 10x I think) but flash drives are cheap and the convenience of not having to handle your CD's may be worth it.

I imagine that's probably what we would run into using Bluetooth to broadcast the audio also.

True. More so than USB, since BT compresses even more. And I haven't heard here anyone complain about audio quality when they're playing over BT.

Not necessarily. Depends on the format you rip to. Flac files are lossless, if you're worried about compression.

But really, in an automotive environment, can you really hear the difference between high bitrate MP3s and CD or lossless? Maybe on your high end stereo at home if you're ears are still pristine. But in a moving car with all that external noise? Unlikely.

All my CD'S are transferred to flash drives in mp3 format @ 320kbps and I can't hear the difference (especially with road noise in the background). If that's not good enough, try the FLAC (lossless) format. It takes quite a bit more storage space (about 10x I think) but flash drives are cheap and the convenience of not having to handle your CD's may be worth it.

That's the key is to burn CD's to 320kbs. This will give you as good as CD quality. Also on my 2nd USB stick I have burned my HiRes FLAC files to WAVE files. I have 15 Albums on a 16gb stick of WAVE files and these are better then CD quality.

This is much better then a 10 disc changer and when you want to take an album off or put an album on just take the stick to your computer and do so... easy peasy lemon squeezey.(nana)

Last edited:
Back