Uh oh - "Forward Collision Camera Malfunction"

michaelbarth

:
2018 CX-5 AWD Touring with Preferred Equipment Package
I have owned my 2018 Touring AWD with preferred equip pkg. for less than a week, and the warning for the forward collision camera has appeared about 8 times. Turning off the car and immediately turning it back on doesn't make it go away. If you turn it off and wait about 15 minutes, it'll go away. When the warning appears, all those safety features I paid out the wazoo for are gone. Windshield is perfectly clear, not raining or snowing, car is kept in garage.

I am wondering if others are experiencing this frequently? Also, does this warning store a code in the system that can be read by the code reader at the dealership? In my Kia when this happens very rarely, it does not store a code. Thus, when we've taken the Kia to the dealer for this issue, they can't find a code and thus have told us they have nothing to go on. He said, "You can't expect us to take your word for it and replace a $2000 part when we can't replicate the issue or see an error code."

This happens to me when I leave the car in the condo parking garage. After some time in the sun It's fine. A number of other people have reported the same thing. It also happens to my friend who drives a Subaru and parks in a condo. The reports I have seen indicate it's related to the temperature differences. I'm expecting it to not be an issue as the weather gets warmer.

Sentry Mazda in Shrewsbury, MA said that I should bring it in, but only when the warning is displayed. Then they will do something about it. I'll do that, and post an update about the resolution.

Common "issue". It happens when you get snow or dirt on the windshield where the sensor is. Also happens if there is any condensation on the windshield as well. It's happened to me a couple times.

Condensation can cause this as can any dirt or film. Make sure your windshield and from sensor are absolutely clean. Run the defroster for a few minutes for anything on the inside.

Thanks but I'm telling you it's 1000% clean. We park it in our garage and when it has happened there has been zero dirt, film, rain, etc. We live in the suburbs, no dirt roads or dust storms or anything like that. Also, the dealer said they have never seen this issue. If it happened when your windshield was dirty, the dealer would have immediately just told me what you guys have said and advised me to check that. Instead he told me to bring it in next time it happened, and I will do that and let you all know the resolution. I can't image that when I bring it in, he'll just look at it and send me away without fixing it because if that were the case he would have just told me that over the phone.

The first time this message came up for me it was chilly outside and I figured there was condensation underneath the shroud that covers the camera behind the rear view mirror. The defroster took care of that. Second time it was hard to figure out but my thinking was that the dealership may have sprayed wax or detailer on the windshield thus creating some physical interference. That is when I cleaned everything thoroughly. That was Nov. and I haven’t had any messages since.

Chances are that if you get the message and head to the dealer it will be gone before you get there.

It has happened to me once in the 2 and 1/2 months I have owned it. I shut the car off and started it up same errors.
Shut the car down again for about 1 minute and it was back to normal.
Just like Michaelbarth said the windshield was clean and temps around 80F no moisture in the air midday.

Op has a used car. Did you see the history? Carfax etc. Also it could just be dirty. Ensure you get it cleaned at dealership.

Op has a used car. Did you see the history? Carfax etc. Also it could just be dirty. Ensure you get it cleaned at dealership.

How could a 2018 be used? Only been out a couple months.
Anyways......

Yep I would be very careful getting a used car the previous owner "changed his mind" within a month after he bought it new. One member here was having weird SCBS problem on his newly bought used CX-5 the previous owner "changed his mind" within several months after he bought it new. The result was the car involved some frontal collision and the previous owner fix it privately and traded it in.

Not saying OP's CX-5 has involved some accident. It just doesn't make any sense people would trade his new car in within a month simply just because he "changed his mind"!

Just paid $25984 (before Tax, Title, and Registration) for a 2018 AWD CX-5 Touring with Preferred Equipment Package. Keep in mind it was used with 2600 miles. First owner had it for 1 month and changed their mind. So it is used, but absolutely flawless and might as well be new. This will actually give you a sense of the immediate depreciation experienced by purchasing a new vehicle. If you buy new for $31K, turn around in the parking lot and trade it in, you will lose at least $5K-$6K.

Yep I would be very careful getting a used car the previous owner "changed his mind" within a month after he bought it new. One member here was having weird SCBS problem on his newly bought used CX-5 the previous owner "changed his mind" within several months after he bought it new. The result was the car involved some frontal collision and the previous owner fix it privately and traded it in.

Not saying OP's CX-5 has involved some accident. It just doesn't make any sense people would trade his new car in within a month simply just because he "changed his mind"!

Actually I know a friend who purchased a 2016.5 CX5 and had it for a week but changed his mind. He bought it because the 2017s were already out and this was on sale but the interior of the 17 was so much better so he took it back and got the 17. Obviously he didn’t put 2600 miles on it so it wasn’t as used as the OPs car.

I’m sure he lost money with the whole transaction.

2018 CX-5 Touring (w/preferred pkg)
I got the warning once...driving uphill into the sun. I think it's simply a matter of the camera not being able to see enough detail to be reliable in a hard stop situation. Glare from the sun, condensation, etc. Think of all the things that keep you from taking a good picture with your phone. Now take that picture at 75 mph. I'm certain the resolution setting on the FLC is set as conservatively as it can get. Try to note where and when it happens. Correlate some data. Short of that...warranty.

Same Issue here, Issue appeared within 24hrs of vehicle purchase. We bought a new 2018 Grand Touring, first night parked outside issue appeared first thing in the morning and cleared after restarting engine, but reappeared within 10mins while driving to work- Issue cleared by lunch. Second night, parked in the garage, Issue did not appear until 10mins into drive to work - Issue cleared by. Issue has appeared almost daily and has already been scheduled for service and we have only had the vehicle for 8 days today. Will keep everyone updated.

FYI... Zero debris on sensors / camera / window

Well since I had my CX 5 on mid-January, I have probably seen this camera malfunction almost every other day whenever I start my car. Heck back then I used my remote starter to warm up my car for about 10-15mins for about 2 weeks before I decided it was bad to leave for that long so I just do it for 5 mins or less and still the same warning messages.

The good thing about it even with the warning, your cruise control still works. However, I never really tried it under 30km/h which is what the warning is stating that it will not work under that speed.

Heck today, my car is still very clean since last Saturday, no rain, no fog, clear sunny day and yet the whole time I was on the highway from the time I started my car, camera light malfunction. After 30mins of driving on the highway, shut off the engine for about 30secs and turn it on, and warning disappeared. Even if I bring this to the dealer, the moment you shut off your engine, it will be gone... It is very annoying indeed...

Well since I had my CX 5 on mid-January, I have probably seen this camera malfunction almost every other day whenever I start my car. Heck back then I used my remote starter to warm up my car for about 10-15mins for about 2 weeks before I decided it was bad to leave for that long so I just do it for 5 mins or less and still the same warning messages.

The good thing about it even with the warning, your cruise control still works. However, I never really tried it under 30km/h which is what the warning is stating that it will not work under that speed.

Heck today, my car is still very clean since last Saturday, no rain, no fog, clear sunny day and yet the whole time I was on the highway from the time I started my car, camera light malfunction. After 30mins of driving on the highway, shut off the engine for about 30secs and turn it on, and warning disappeared. Even if I bring this to the dealer, the moment you shut off your engine, it will be gone... It is very annoying indeed...

use your smartphone or camera to take some pictures and/or videos (maybe bring a passenger to take them since it sounds like it happens a lot). then you have proof for the dealership.

use your smartphone or camera to take some pictures and/or videos (maybe bring a passenger to take them since it sounds like it happens a lot). then you have proof for the dealership.

I did have it on the first week it happened and brought it there to show it. The only thing they told me because of to the winter season; ice buildup or moist or snow/dirt. So I am waiting till it is summer where it is clear warm weather and will take a video it again if it happens so they have no excuse.

I did have it on the first week it happened and brought it there to show it. The only thing they told me because of to the winter season; ice buildup or moist or snow/dirt. So I am waiting till it is summer where it is clear warm weather and will take a video it again if it happens so they have no excuse.

Lots of comments here regarding the remote start causing those messages. Shut down and restart clears it. I cannot remember if a fix is out yet or not.

Back