Consumer Reports Reliability Ratings - 2017 Model

Generally speaking, when a poster is quick to point out faults or deficits of a car on that cars forum you have to wonder why they bought a Mazda and why they are here? It’s not constructive at all.

If this is addressed to the OP (me), let me explain that I do love my car. On seeing the specific categories reported by CR, I immediately wondered what the actual problems are that CR readers flagged as significant problems in those categories. CR does not report those problems, so I thought the next best way to determine them would be to ask folks here to say whether they knew what these problems would likely be, either through first hand experience, or through reading of the many threads on this forum.

Interestingly, no one has said "Yeah, that's probably the windshield problem I've read about or experienced", or "Another thread discussed lift gate problems" (To be clear, both of these I just made up). Perhaps this means that numbers were low for CR's data, and they did indeed base their conclusions on problems in other models like the MX-5 or CX-9.

My goal is to find out more about any problems that are being experienced, and address them on my own car if needed. I imagine that most here would like to do the same.

Heritage, do you own a 17, or just the 14 listed in your profile?

Some of us expected more and were unfortunately disappointed after the purchase. Key word after the purchase. I for one am very disappointed with the quality, fit and finish of our CX5. Too many issues to complain about. CR reviews are reflecting what I have experienced and some. I thought the 2017’s would be an improvement, but it’s just lip stick on the same pig. Last I checked we still had some glimmer of hope that this is America and this is a forum for all opinions both positive and negative, not just fanboys who are pro consumer reports when what they like is rated number 1.

Your profile says you own a 2014. Did you upgrade to a 2017 model?

Every brand has its faults. During my research for CUVs I checked out various forums of the vehicles on our list. The Honda CR-V has the fuel dilution issued already well known here. Ford’s EcoBoost engines also suffer from FD and LSPI. Another one I looked at was the new Kia Sportage. It was right in our budget range but soon after it’s release the reports of cracked spark plugs started to hit their forum. The suspicion was LSPI which is a common thread amongst turbo direct injected engines.

Being in my older years I decided I didn’t need anything with possible issues down the road. Subaru has improved their engines but oil consumption still plagues some owners. That left Mazda and with their divorce from Ford I became interested. The SkyActiv engine, while being GDI seems to handle fuel dilution better than the other makes. No turbo means a simpler engine overall. I’m not anti-turbo but it is one less thing to worry on.

I made my decision and so far in my brief ownership of almost five months I have been very pleased. I check the oil regularly and there is no fuel odor detected. The awd has lived up to my expectations in the couple of snow storms we’ve had. Gas mileage is improving along the way. All this considering I short trip the vehicle quite a bit.

Is it perfect? No and every vehicle I’ve owned has had its quirks. As long as it remains reliable I will be happy and if something happens I will post that here as well.

If this is addressed to the OP (me), let me explain that I do love my car. On seeing the specific categories reported by CR, I immediately wondered what the actual problems are that CR readers flagged as significant problems in those categories. CR does not report those problems, so I thought the next best way to determine them would be to ask folks here to say whether they knew what these problems would likely be, either through first hand experience, or through reading of the many threads on this forum.

Interestingly, no one has said "Yeah, that's probably the windshield problem I've read about or experienced", or "Another thread discussed lift gate problems" (To be clear, both of these I just made up). Perhaps this means that numbers were low for CR's data, and they did indeed base their conclusions on problems in other models like the MX-5 or CX-9.

My goal is to find out more about any problems that are being experienced, and address them on my own car if needed. I imagine that most here would like to do the same.

No I wasn’t referring to you.

yrwei, I agree with you that CR used ratings IN GENERAL are our best, most unbiased resource for evaluating USED cars. No question.

But what I and others are pointing out is that the ratings of the 17 CX-5 cannot possibly be based on a statistically meaningful sample. Therefore, their conclusions cannot be meaningful, particularly if "When we have smaller sample sizes than this on vehicles, we use brand history and the reliability of similar models that may share major components in calculating our predictions".

So I agree with your general premise, but disagree that it applies in this specific case.

Some of us expected more and were unfortunately disappointed after the purchase. Key word after the purchase. I for one am very disappointed with the quality, fit and finish of our CX5. Too many issues to complain about. CR reviews are reflecting what I have experienced and some. I thought the 2017’s would be an improvement, but it’s just lip stick on the same pig. Last I checked we still had some glimmer of hope that this is America and this is a forum for all opinions both positive and negative, not just fanboys who are pro consumer reports when what they like is rated number 1.

I'm sorry to hear of your experience. Though I'm sure you would disagree, CR's Owner Reliability summary rating is "Better than average" for 2013-2014 CR-5s, "Much better than average" (highest rating) for 2015-2016 CX-5s, and "Average" for the 2017 CX-5. And though CR rates the CX-5 highly, I don't believe they have ever rated it #1 in it's class.

has no one considered a "1st year" car has more issues than the outgoing model?
this is very typical... it takes a year or two to work out the bugs

there's plenty of data to show a 2013 CX-5 has more issues than a 2016.5

has no one considered a "1st year" car has more issues than the outgoing model?
this is very typical... it takes a year or two to work out the bugs

there's plenty of data to show a 2013 CX-5 has more issues than a 2016.5

Craigo also suggested this at Post #18 above, and I agree a refresh in its first year may well have more problems. The question is - does the 2017 really have more problems than previous years, or is this a result of CR small sample size and/or borrowing results from Mazda models with similar components. If there are real problems, they should have been identified on this forum by now.

I want to further add that I don't give a damn about CR "new car ratings". What I care about is what they rated the 2016 at, CURRENTLY. Even more, the 2013/2014. Who here has a 2017 with 100K miles on it? How the hell do you know how it's going to do at 100K miles?

Some of us expected more and were unfortunately disappointed after the purchase. Key word after the purchase. I for one am very disappointed with the quality, fit and finish of our CX5. Too many issues to complain about. CR reviews are reflecting what I have experienced and some. I thought the 2017s would be an improvement, but its just lip stick on the same pig. Last I checked we still had some glimmer of hope that this is America and this is a forum for all opinions both positive and negative, not just fanboys who are pro consumer reports when what they like is rated number 1.

According to your profile, you own a 2014 CX5. I owned a 2016 CX5 and now own a 2017. The 2017 is vastly improved over the 2014/2016. Not that the 2016 was a bad vehicle, it wasn't. The 2017 improved on a lot of things, especially noise and rattles. I am happy with the 2017 and believe it is improved over the 2016.

Only issues I have with the 2017 is the lack of a CD player and the cup holder locations but nothing in life is perfect. That's life. No marriage, no family, no home, no job, no person, etc is perfect.

According to your profile, you own a 2014 CX5. I owned a 2016 CX5 and now own a 2017. The 2017 is vastly improved over the 2014/2016. Not that the 2016 was a bad vehicle, it wasn't. The 2017 improved on a lot of things, especially noise and rattles. I am happy with the 2017 and believe it is improved over the 2016.

Only issues I have with the 2017 is the lack of a CD player and the cup holder locations but nothing in life is perfect. That's life. No marriage, no family, no home, no job, no person, etc is perfect.

Lauren Drain is perfect.

I think CR's reliability ratings for vehicles that are >=5 years old tend to be spot-on, while their reliability ratings for vehicles <=3 years old are pretty much worthless and seem to be heavily influenced by brand favoritism. The same is true for JD Power and others who provide predicted reliability ratings. When a model is relatively new, the only way to know what the issues are is to follow the dedicated vehicle forums.

Some of us expected more and were unfortunately disappointed after the purchase. Key word after the purchase. I for one am very disappointed with the quality, fit and finish of our CX5. Too many issues to complain about. CR reviews are reflecting what I have experienced and some. I thought the 2017s would be an improvement, but its just lip stick on the same pig. Last I checked we still had some glimmer of hope that this is America and this is a forum for all opinions both positive and negative, not just fanboys who are pro consumer reports when what they like is rated number 1.

I know I've asked before, but I don't remember. What were the issues with your 2014 and how many miles?

62k miles on mine, problem free.

Anybody looking for alternatives, I encourage you to create an account @ Truedelta.com
Pretty cool site where owners report reliability issues with their cars, or lack thereof. Twice a year you will get a reminder to login and report any issues you've had, or not.
17 CX-5 is doing better then 16 there, by a smidgen.

Attachments

• TDelta.jpg
    TDelta.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 123
Anybody looking for alternatives, I encourage you to create an account @ Truedelta.com
Pretty cool site where owners report reliability issues with their cars, or lack thereof. Twice a year you will get a reminder to login and report any issues you've had, or not.
17 CX-5 is doing better then 16 there, by a smidgen.

What are those percentage numbers?

% of Average Repair Frequency as it shows in the graphic.
I don't really know what that means?!? I just reached out to the owner to ask.
(got time @ lunch)

Now the sample size at TrueDelta isn't huge. Total membership is only 108,000 people. So the more people that join and report the better.
*HINT*

Since we often get compared to the top selling SUV in the class, this is pretty interesting:

Attachments

• vCRV.jpg
    vCRV.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 133
  • vCRV2.jpg
    vCRV2.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 126
Back