2018 CX-5 T Front splash guard installation?

mrhinman

:
2018 CX-5 Touring
I purchased some splash guards for my new CX-5, and installing the read guards was easy. The front, however, are a challenge. That hardware kit came with no instructions and it doesn't seem to be very clear what fastener goes where for proper installation. Can anyone direct me to some documentation that will help? My Google searches have turned up nothing. Thanks!

Thanks. I hope these are indeed the 2018 instruction set. The front ones look like you have to pull off moulding to complete the installation. I'm a little afraid of breaking something on my new car!

--
Matthew

Hi Mathew,

I am also in your situation. Already installed the rear ones myself on my 2017 CX-5 GT. But do not feel confident enough about the front splash guards. I am particularly concerned about the Jack nut. I do not have any tools to install it and moreover, I feel that the instruction manual could have been more detailed enough in order to get it done as a DIY project.
If you have already installed it by yourself, I would like to request you to kindly post some more detailed step by step instruction so that people like me can get some benefit.

Thanks!

Be careful about the jack nuts. It is not that obvious.

Hi Ceric,

While desperately searching for detailed help steps to install the 2018 CX-5 T Front splash guards, I came across your reply to one of the posts.

I have purchased both Front and rear splash guards from my Mazda dealer and have already installed the rear ones. But on the Front ones, I still do not have the confidence to go ahead and do it.

The most challenging part to me is the jack nut installation. Neither I find the installation guide detailed enough and nor do I have any special tool to deal with it.

I know that you have already done it yourself and understand the challenge associated with it. I would like to request you if you can post the detailed steps (with pics and area highlighted) as it would help a lot of other guys on the forum.

Please let me know if you used any special tools for jack nut installation. If yes, then I may not do it as DIY and instead will got to the dealer and get it installed. But if there is a way to do it w/o any special tool, I can certainly give a try.

Thanks in Adv!

The problem with jack nuts I got was that they the bolt is not long enough.
I had to bend the pillars of the jack nuts to make it works as expected.
The ones you get might be OK.
So are these cheap parts from some countries with poor QC.

Here's part of a post I put up when I installed the flaps on my 2017, I assume they're unchanged for 2018. The jack nuts are easy to deal with if you do the following.

When you read the instructions the first thing you'll probably wonder about is the need for a tool called a jack nut tool. You don't need it, a bit of easy improv will work fine. The jack nut tool is sort of like a large pop riveter, designed to mount a jack nut (a sort of metal expandable fastener) from one side of a panel. Since you attach the jack nut to the lower over fender piece after you remove it you can get at both sides of the jack nut. So all you need to do is get an M5 bolt about an inch long, screw it into the nut from the rear, than put a couple of washers and a nut on the other end and torque it down so that it expands into its locked down state. This will make more sense if you have it in front of you, but it took no time at all to get it in place.

I would add that you need to pay attention to the jacknut's orientation when you put it in, if you do it backwards you're pretty much S.O.L. since the jacknuts are a one shot deal.

Hope this helps...

Response to post #9.

They will cut your MPG in half..................Just kidding.

No affect what so ever.

Put mine on today. Easy job even without jack nut tool - a simple bolt/washer/nut and a (highly recommended) ratcheting wrench size of the nut easily did the job. An offset close qtr philips screwdriver is helpful. Just take your time and be careful not to break pins when you pull trim off.

They really finish off the look even if they don*t cover a lot. If I wanted coverage I*d put on the ones with pic of Yosemite Sam and *BACK OFF* on em.

In case anyone messes up with their jack nuts, I found what appears to be almost identical ones based upon the information printed on the ones that come with the splash guards (Jack Nut M5SN).

https://us.misumi-ec.com/vona2/detail/221000765889/?HissuCode=JN-M5SN

There are also short M5 jack nuts available on eBay.

FYI M5 is close to 10-24 and 10-32 but not exact for either, so I suspect you'd also need to find a replacement bolt if you replaced with non-metric jack nuts. But the fitment into the existing opening on the lower over fender piece still should be fine.

And much thanks to Ranman57 as the hints you provided were extremely helpful! Rears went on easily, and will do the fronts after some test fitting last evening.

Last edited:
Many thanks for the info. I was unsuccessful the first time when I got to the *jack nut tool*. I*ll try again using these suggestions. Also, I easily removed the bottom trim, but seemed to have difficulty with the *front over fender* piece. As Matthew said - I don*t want to eff anything up.

Hi GEM, I recently purchased after market Chinese splash guards as the Australian originals were too expensive (originals $430AU and after market $30AU) they look identical to the originals as far as I can see. Installing I decided to not use the jack nut on the front, instead I found that if you enlarge the hole on the splash guard you are fitting (not the hole in the car) with an 8mm drill bit (doesn't need to be much bigger than what it is) then just fit the fastener (Scrivet) that you are discarding from step one in the instructions supplied in this thread above. The first front guard took about 20mins the second was 15mins. I think they look good and are a subtle upgrade.

I just finished installing the factory front splash guards on my new CX 5. I installed the rear a few days ago, they were fairly easy. For the fronts, I had to wait for some of the 3M 4298 Adhesion Promoter to arrive from Amazon. I went to 4 different local auto parts stores and none of them had it in stock.

That was a good tip provided by Ranman57 regarding the use of an M5 machine screw, nut and washers to install the Jack Screw to the piece of trim that the bolt on the bottom of the splash guard uses to fasten the two pieces together. For those that are wondering, the Jack Screw is kind of like one of those expandable wall anchors, tightening the M5 screw and nut causes the 4 sides to expand out and flatten against the inner surface of the trim and then you have a threaded insert for the bottom piece of the splash guard to attach to with one of the provided screws.

The only deviation from the printed instructions is that I needed to remove two of the reusable fasteners from the fender trim; one above the wheel at about 12 o'clock and the other closer to the rear of the wheel well. Once that was done a good yank allowed the trim to pop loose enough to flex it out and get the threaded clip in place, and then it was easy to button it all back up.

The only other thing I can add is for those of you with a 2 gar garage and room to work around the car, you should take advantage of it. My garage is very narrow and I'm going to be sore for a couple of days from all the contortions involved in installing those things.

Thanks all for the help. I successfully installed the *jack nut* and clips on the front. I did not have (and could not find locally) the 3M Ahesive Promoter. But, with other members tips / tricks, the hard part is done. Just waiting for Amazon package and I can finalize. I appreciate the encouragement = taking my time, not getting frustrated and not being afraid to tug on the trim pieces.

It's a really good idea to wait on the 3M Ahesive Promoter, that stuff is pretty amazing. I have no way to measure it but it seems to increase the holding power of mounting tape substantially. I ordered the 3 little packs from Amazon when I did my flaps and have found it useful on another project where I wanted some serious long term holding power from some mounting tape.

Just make sure everything is aligned properly before you use it 'cause you won't get a second try...

Back