For those complaining about our infotainment system

can you get to AA without plugging in a phone? does it just become an app?

Correct me if i am wrong, but AA without plugging in, only runs on the android phone - to mirror to head unit, the head unit needs to support AA, and be connected to the phone.

And Waze only works in AA on a head unit. It doesn't work in AA in phone only mode.

Wireless support for AA is coming too. I was referring to USB connection.

Last edited:
Yes, you can download AA and run it on your phone. You can set it to auto launch when it connects to your car.
ADog is correct, Waze only works with AA on your phone AND a connected car. I just spent 15 minutes trying to make it work. No joy. That's so lame Goog. I mean I appreciate being able to run AA on my phone, but not getting the full experience? But you'll let me choose any music app? So. Strange.

Yea I don’t get it either as Apple basically does the same. Oh well. Imo Apple maps and google maps are still better than any car nav I’ve used. Mazda’s nav is definitely decent compared to a lot of others though.

Apple doesn't have a standalone app though. I'd love to know thier thinking on that.

Apple doesn't have a standalone app though. I'd love to know thier thinking on that.

Probably because mounting your phone so you can use it is a sub-optimal experience. Integrated experience is best, and the best way to force auto manufacturer's to include it is by making it the only option... as Apple is known to do (e.g. headphone jack removal and how it boosted investment in wireless earphones/headphones).

I don’t see the point of the stand alone app honestly. You can just mount your phone and run Waze or whatever anyway...... if that’s what you want to do.

I gotta say though, in defense of the normal Headunit: screw you Waze.
I've used Waze quite a bit. Never had any real problems. Love that it shows cops and accidents. It screwed up once telling me to turn into a neighborhood for no reason. I knew where I was going but thought Waze had a shortcut I didn't know about. No...it screwed up and tried running me in circles. That's ok. I wasn't in a hurry.
Now I live in Cleveland, Ohio. Live Traffic is not something anyone really needs here because we really don't have bad traffic issues. Some people say our HU sucks because no live traffic. I don't believe most people need that.

Monday in Columbus... I pull out of the downtown garage with my indash Navi going. NO traffic. Wow! Make a few turns, get on a State route: bumper to bumper.
s***.
Hmmm...let's see what Waze has to say.
Fire up Waze: hey, go this way instead. Hmmm Would you look at that. Waze is going to shave whopping 12 minutes off my 2 hour and 15 minute drive. Nice!
Start to follow. Turn here. Go here. (Meanwhile, Betty harping at me "route recalculation"). Stop. U turn. Wait, what? Go here, left... then...see attached. It just stopped. Where do I go Waze? The road does not end here.
I'm done with you, Waze. We're breaking up. It's not me...it's you.
My in dash Navi has never let me down. Never needed a signal. Never a wrong turn. Never a u turn that wasn't my fault.
She may not be the prettiest. Or the smartest. But she's always there for me and not once has she let me down.
-Ode To Black Betty's Navi-
[emoji16]
8a117d20e35d8f02113c3d4ff44e61ae.jpg

I mainly quit using Waze because of the app being glitchy and honestly Google Maps, Apple Maps, or the built in all work fine and more reliable.

I find the routing of Google Maps to be much better than Waze... but it's probably different for every location.

Google owns waze. The only benefits to me in waze is the social aspects and the cop alerts but that require you to actually look at the screen.

Google maps integrates waze traffic flow without all the UI junk that's in waze. I'm assuming this because why the hell wouldn't they use waze data.

Google maps is all I use unless i'm in a dead stop then i'll pull out waze to see what people are seeing and saying in front by the accident or cause of traffic.

Google owns waze. The only benefits to me in waze is the social aspects and the cop alerts but that require you to actually look at the screen.

Google maps integrates waze traffic flow without all the UI junk that's in waze. I'm assuming this because why the hell wouldn't they use waze data.

Google maps is all I use unless i'm in a dead stop then i'll pull out waze to see what people are seeing and saying in front by the accident or cause of traffic.

I have used both Waze and Google maps at the same time side by side (different phones)- they often give different routes. I find waze is often faster, but it will route some odd ways and in the end may not be worth the few minutes saved. I go back and forth between which one i like better.

I have used both Waze and Google maps at the same time side by side (different phones)- they often give different routes. I find waze is often faster, but it will route some odd ways and in the end may not be worth the few minutes saved. I go back and forth between which one i like better.

Indeed... they both have different routing algorithms. Waze will take you on a wild goose chase to save 30 seconds while Google Maps is a bit more conservative and sticks to higher confidence routes.

Back