For those complaining about our infotainment system

Agree on both points. "I'm still learning pronunciation!"
Oh ffs

I like the infotainment system, there's not a whole lot more you can do with CarPlay that you can't with Mazda Connect. I did notice the preset volume level on a CarPlay equipped car was at a better level, but on the 2018 you can see and read exactly what's playing without a problem.
I did notice that bluetooth won't always connect as an audio source, and you aren't able to take advantage of your texts being read back via the infotaiment if you have an iPhone. It would be nice if that was possible, but I still think it's a good system.

Navigation with always up-to-date maps and traffic is a HUGE new capability.

Yup and I have not been able to update my sd cars for a while. Nav servers are always down it seems.......

Also actually entering a destination is very cumbersome on MZD connect vs how it works with apple or google maps......

Actually, it's pretty close for most people.
Most people don't need LIVE Traffic.
Most people don't NEED constant updates.
Most people know how to BT and use Google Maps if they need to.
Many people came from cars with just... a radio so yea... MZD Connect is a MONSTER upgrade for some of us.
And Mazda's nav does some cool things Maps nor Waze do.

The few. The proud. The MZD Connect Fans.

Actually, it's pretty close for most people.
Most people don't need LIVE Traffic.
Most people don't NEED constant updates.
Most people know how to BT and use Google Maps if they need to.
Many people came from cars with just... a radio so yea... MZD Connect is a MONSTER upgrade for some of us.
And Mazda's nav does some cool things Maps nor Waze do.

The few. The proud. The MZD Connect Fans.

Live traffic is invaluable in large population areas.

There is active road construction near me so updates are needed.

If you’re coming from something old sure but if you’re coming from something within a few years from say VW or Ford you’re not going to be impressed.

The only cool thing I can think of it might have over Waze or Maps is maybe the HUD turn guidance but aside from that.......

Bluetoothing waze is kinda ghetto. That’s what I spent the money for the higher trim...... ugh

Also FWIW I do use the MZD nav and it’s alright. Definitely better than some. My wife refuses though and its mainly due to lack of traffic and unintuitive interface for entering destinations. Sometimes it’s out of date and missing POI for us as well that Waze and Maps knows about.

For nav it is. You need some ugly mount some place to hold your phone so you can see the map. I find using CarPlay and having it on the larger infotainment screen much nicer. Plus with Waze the Bluetooth audio is glitchy. Google maps is always super quiet relative to music playing. Apple Maps is more consistent volume wise but even that one is fussy sometimes with Bluetooth audio.

I have to do it in rental cars all the time with no mount just holding my phone.

my biggest issue so far is the color choice and the lack of the option being able to change it.

Red just makes it look so old and dated, if you notice on new phones they never show them with red backgrounds, its always a nice cool looking blue/green/purple hues.

When i play music through aux, the screen is basically blank, wish they had some kind of image that moved a little bit or even just a big digital clock face, right now its pretty bare with music on.

my biggest issue so far is the color choice and the lack of the option being able to change it.

Red just makes it look so old and dated, if you notice on new phones they never show them with red backgrounds, its always a nice cool looking blue/green/purple hues.

When i play music through aux, the screen is basically blank, wish they had some kind of image that moved a little bit or even just a big digital clock face, right now its pretty bare with music on.

I think there's a hack to change the red color, but I haven't looked into it. Anyway, both of these things seems trivial, as one's focus should be on the road while driving. I don't understand the need for a moving image.

Red is often used in automobiles, and plane cockpits, due to it affecting night vision less.

I think there's a hack to change the red color, but I haven't looked into it. Anyway, both of these things seems trivial, as one's focus should be on the road while driving. I don't understand the need for a moving image.

I don’t understand why it’s not an option. Tons of other cars have customized options. My 2006 civic w/nav had options to change to background to multiple colors and it was able to play a fake equalizer for music or a static background with a clock in front of them image. It’s just nice touches.

Why have a screen at all then?

Jeep let's you pick a bunch of different backgrounds. It's a nice touch.

I like to l have the nav screen up for the map. But agreed I don’t like leaving the home screen up. I liked how MFT showed quadrants with abbreviated info from each section. Mazda could make better use of the home screen and show like compass, temp, media info or really anything other than just the icons lol.

I do like how it shows the street you’re approaching on the top even in other areas like media.

Last edited:
I went out to eat tonight to a new restaurant. Entered it into the GPS. I love how it gives you directions in the upper NAV bar no matter what screen you're on.
f48f831188e9c3ce153a79ecaf0a9cd1.jpg

Latest posts

Back