Would you buy? CX-6

I would take the CX-4 over a CX-6 if I had to choose between the two. I don't think a Mazda6 wagon with increased ground clearance looks good. Besides, the CX-5 already exists, which is pretty much a Mazda6 with increased ground clearance.

mazda3 already can be a wagon, the cx3 is a wagon, the 6 is going to be a wagon. what's next, the miata wagon?

I would take the CX-4 over a CX-6 if I had to choose between the two. I don't think a Mazda6 wagon with increased ground clearance looks good. Besides, the CX-5 already exists, which is pretty much a Mazda6 with increased ground clearance.

CX-5 is based off of a 3 not a 6 if I recall.

CX-3 based off the 2.

CX-5 is based off of a 3 not a 6 if I recall.
It might be that all 3 (Mazda3, Mazda6 and CX-5) are using the same platform. Either way, the CX-5 just as spacious as a Mazda6 inside, probably more spacious because of the extra headroom.

I wonder if Mazda's next US built SUV will be slotted between the CX5 and CX9 for a tweener sized SUV, which is where this lifted mazda6 wagon "CX-6" kinda fits.

This is exactly the reason why my dad bought a Kia Sorento. CX5/CRV was too small, CX9/Highlander was too big and expensive. There also seem to be an increasing amount of comments of "i miss the CX7", due to the exact same reasoning of wanting a goldilocks SUV.

Toyota also doesn't really have a tweener SUV either, as the Venza has gone out of production.

Last edited:
I wonder if Mazda's next US built SUV will be slotted between the CX5 and CX9 for a tweener sized SUV, which is where this lifted mazda6 wagon "CX-6" kinda fits.

This is exactly the reason why my dad bought a Kia Sorento. CX5/CRV was too small, CX9/Highlander was too big and expensive. There also seem to be an increasing amount of comments of "i miss the CX7", due to the exact same reasoning of wanting a goldilocks SUV.

Toyota also doesn't really have a tweener SUV either, as the Venza has gone out of production.
Maybe a Ford Edge competitor. Something a little bigger, maybe even more premium than the CX-5, but smaller than the CX-9.

That has been what is being talked about in the automobile grapevine. This link has more info.

https://www.motoring.com.au/mazda-cx-x-suv-confirmed-110065/

Mazda3, Mazda6, CX5 and CX9 are all based on the same modular platform that can be stretched and raised.

Many autocompanies are moving to this type of modular platform. The Subaru Impreza sedan, wagon, Crosstrek and the upcoming Ascent are based on Subaru's new modular platform. I'm fairly certain the next gen Forester, legacy sedan and outback will probably be based off the same platform as well.

The Mazda2 and the CX3 are on their own smaller platform.

Yup, both. But largely it's most similar in size to a tall 3 (with a slightly larger trunk/hatch).
Interior space such as legroom etc for CX-5 is actually very close to the 6

Wagons are very small sales wise here regardless of them being normal or AWD or some other configuration

Yup, both. But largely it's most similar in size to a tall 3 (with a slightly larger trunk/hatch).

Interior space such as legroom etc for CX-5 is actually very close to the 6

This was the most perplexing thing to me and my wife about the CX-5. We can park the CX-5 inside the garage and it will occupy the same amount of space, maybe a tiny bit more than my Speed3. But if you go inside the CX-5, the space in the interior blows away the what now feels like cramped interior space in the Speed3. I just cannot understand how the CX-5 has so much interior room but not be that much bigger than a Speed3.

This was the most perplexing thing to me and my wife about the CX-5. We can park the CX-5 inside the garage and it will occupy the same amount of space, maybe a tiny bit more than my Speed3. But if you go inside the CX-5, the space in the interior blows away the what now feels like cramped interior space in the Speed3. I just cannot understand how the CX-5 has so much interior room but not be that much bigger than a Speed3.

Because it's a larger vehicle inside a smaller body. They have utilised space well compared to other Mazda models.

Agree 100%. My son's Mazda 3 is about the same size but really cramped in the back.

They also say that with the current design/size of Mazda 6, should really have more room than it does.

Looks like the CX-5 seems to have got it right - for a Mazda that is

Back