Would you buy? CX-6

:
95 Miata, 14 CX5 Touring FWD, 18 CX9 GT FWD
Autoblog brought up an interesting idea. Mazda should Subaru Outback-ify the Mazda 6 wagon. GM is doing it with their Buick Regal TourX. Volvo does it to their wagons. Would this help save Mazda 6 sales?

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/03/06/mazda-cx-6-mazda6-wagon/

Mazda 6 wagon + 2.5 turbo + awd + raised ground clearance + Outback/regal TourX pricing (Top trims are 39k-41k)

Would you buy?

Cross posting this in both the CX-5 lounge and CX-9 lounge as I feel like this can be cross shopped between both cars.

Let's see how the Regal TourX does. Wagons are a tough sell in the US; Subaru and Volvo have been able to survive with the SUV type wagons. I'd certainly consider it over an Outback; definitely over the Regal. Volvo is at a higher price point, so it's not really competition. Put the CX-9's engine in it, and absolutely.

You have to wonder why other automakers have let Subaru largely dominate the raised wagon segment. They sell like hotcakes and few competitors try and compete.

A raised Mazda6 wagon might be interesting but I'm not sure if the sleek sporty styling would work with it. These rugged wagons are usually more blocky and straight lined in their styling.

Yes, I would buy the Mazda 6 wagon if it was available in the US, but not a raised, plastic clad version. I was very close to purchasing the Volvo V90 (not the Cross Country version) but with the 70K+ price I just couldn't do it. I really didn't want a SUV but the CX9 was the best of the bunch at a reasonably price. The V60 was not big enough but the Mazda 6 wagon would have been. I saw many last year on a trip to Germany and they are beautiful.

You have to wonder why other automakers have let Subaru largely dominate the raised wagon segment. They sell like hotcakes and few competitors try and compete.

A raised Mazda6 wagon might be interesting but I'm not sure if the sleek sporty styling would work with it. These rugged wagons are usually more blocky and straight lined in their styling.

I think because they have all concluded that the Outback is an anomaly. Kind of the same way that there are so few minivans left (4?).

Don't forget the VW 'Alltrack' (besides the standard Golf wagon).

volkswagen-golf_alltrack-2017-1600-011513356819573.jpg

Clearly theere's a market for thse cars, I'd LOVE Mazda to help fill it.

Mazda already had the answer for this and it was called the CX-7. CX-5 is not long enough for tall people knees in the back. CX-9 is great but a little bit too much (and low MPG) for a lot of customers.

Mazda already had the answer for this and it was called the CX-7. CX-5 is not long enough for tall people knees in the back. CX-9 is great but a little bit too much (and low MPG) for a lot of customers.

CX-7 is a whole different thing - basically an in between compact and mid-size low roof CUV.

Vehicles being discussed are wagons with raised suspensions.

Define "too low." What are you comparing CX-9's MPGs to? CR-V or CX-5? Because CX-9's MPGs are better than most of its direct competitors, since they mostly have V6s. What's Explorer's MPGs with its 2.3L Ecoboost?

But none of those cars are anything like an Outback, even if some Outback customers cross-shop a compact SUV.

I think a good question is...would you get something like an Outback/Regal TourX/raised mazda6 wagon, or an actual CUV that's bigger than the CX5, but smaller than the CX9. Kind of like a CX7 (venza/Ford Edge sized)?

I would like to see a CX-9 GT available without the 3rd row seat. We are a senior couple and have no need for the 3rd row, and some other features (heated 2nd row, heated steering wheel, etc) yet wanted the extra cargo space. That should reduce the MSRP by +/- $2K. We did buy a CX-5 GT but wish it had a bit more room.

I would like to see a CX-9 GT available without the 3rd row seat. We are a senior couple and have no need for the 3rd row, and some other features (heated 2nd row, heated steering wheel, etc) yet wanted the extra cargo space. That should reduce the MSRP by +/- $2K. We did buy a CX-5 GT but wish it had a bit more room.
Those days are gone. In this class of vehicle, it is just not worth the extra production costs to make a non-3rd row version for the minuscule sales they will get out of it.

Back