Tire caps (& Nitrogen)

:
2016 CX-9 GT AWD
Hi, couple questions:
I live in the US and I read that Mazda uses Nitrogen for the tires. I have two questions:
1) if the tire becomes low, I cannot use a regular air pump for the tires? Should I bring them to Mazda?
2) is there any harm in putting on aftermarket tire caps (like https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned))
Hoping it doesn't mess with the nitrogen/TPMS

Hi, couple questions:
I live in the US and I read that Mazda uses Nitrogen for the tires. I have two questions:
1) if the tire becomes low, I cannot use a regular air pump for the tires? Should I bring them to Mazda?
2) is there any harm in putting on aftermarket tire caps (like https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned))
Hoping it doesn't mess with the nitrogen/TPMS

i recently just got these for my car. they fit perfect and look great as well and no there's no harm at all, aslong as they fit right.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

To my knowledge, Mazda corporate doesn't use nitrogen for tire inflation but an individual dealer might use it as a "sales" tool. If you want to learn more about the sight benefits of nitrogen, Tire Rack has some good tech info here: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=191

I think their last statement sums it up best.
Rather than pay extra for nitrogen, most drivers would be better off buying an accurate tire pressure gauge and checking and adjusting their tire pressures regularly.

It is however important to use an air compressor that has a water separator so water doesn't get into tires. I am careful about not using gas station air unless it is an emergency. Ed

Nothing wrong with the two posts about the valve stem caps.

Just be careful using them in any climate that uses salt on the roads. Anything other than plastic will tend to seize with salt and the caps to the stems.

It is however important to use an air compressor that has a water separator so water doesn't get into tires. I am careful about not using gas station air unless it is an emergency. Ed

What's the problem with a little water vapor in the tires?

Save money and don't worry about it. I change around 12 tyres a day in my workshop, and the tyre workshop across the road changes maybe 40 or more. Neither of us is using nitrogen and car drives just as fine. No sensor problems.

Unless the air compressor has an expensive dryer attached, there will always be some water vapor in the air dispensed.

No, they don't use nitrogen. That's a somewhat common scam to get people to pay for things of dubious benefit they don't need.

What's the problem with a little water vapor in the tires?

First generation TPMS had some issues with corrosion; modern ones should be fine. It also didn't help that at first many shops didn't use best practices when servicing tires with TPMS.

Nitrogen is so pointless. It's just a money making scam. It may provide at least a slight benefit, but in my opinion just breeds bad habits like not regularly checking your tire pressure.

Fun fact: The air you're breathing right now is 78% nitrogen.

Nitrogen is so pointless. It's just a money making scam. It may provide at least a slight benefit, but in my opinion just breeds bad habits like not regularly checking your tire pressure.

Fun fact: The air you're breathing right now is 78% nitrogen.

How is it a money making scam? I get tires cheaper and installed at Costco and some other places that do Nitrogen inflation. They will fill/refill for free - they are not making money on it.

Yes, the air we breath is mostly nitrogen, but pure nitrogen has more benefits then air for tires - molecules are larger so less loss of pressure due to migration through rubber, no moisture content, and more stable pressure under temperature changes.

Since it cost me nothing, I put in Nitrogen when i can, but I wouldn't drive around on a flat looking for it, or pay for it. The more nitrogen, the less oxygen and less water vapor. Many articles support that Nitrogen in tires has value. But properly inflated tires offers more value.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=191

How is it a money making scam? I get tires cheaper and installed at Costco and some other places that do Nitrogen inflation. They will fill/refill for free - they are not making money on it.

Yes, the air we breath is mostly nitrogen, but pure nitrogen has more benefits then air for tires - molecules are larger so less loss of pressure due to migration through rubber, no moisture content, and more stable pressure under temperature changes.

Since it cost me nothing, I put in Nitrogen when i can, but I wouldn't drive around on a flat looking for it, or pay for it. The more nitrogen, the less oxygen and less water vapor. Many articles support that Nitrogen in tires has value. But properly inflated tires offers more value.

Most places don't do it for free. In that case, the benefits are wholly outweighed by the cost. I don't know why Costco bothers; perhaps they see it as a loss leader or way to differentiate themselves. Nitrogen is cheap in bulk.

Racing often uses nitrogen because the tires heat up and pressure changes can mean a difference in lap times. For the rest of us... meh.

Well it costs you nothing, so you are fine. For those who pay extra for it, I find it a ripoff.

Regarding nitrogen, I am more inclined to agree with this guy:

Most places don't do it for free. In that case, the benefits are wholly outweighed by the cost. I don't know why Costco bothers; perhaps they see it as a loss leader or way to differentiate themselves. Nitrogen is cheap in bulk.

Racing often uses nitrogen because the tires heat up and pressure changes can mean a difference in lap times. For the rest of us... meh.

my dealer charges $72.99 to fill tires with nitrogen.

my local tire shop which is very reputable charges $6 per tire and free refills for the first year.

most people i know that fill their tires with nitrogen have told me there's really no diff.

Why does Costco blade tenderize ribeye steaks? Not everything they do makes sense.

First generation TPMS had some issues with corrosion; modern ones should be fine. It also didn't help that at first many shops didn't use best practices when servicing tires with TPMS.

Mmm... As far as I know, mazda cx 5 doesn't have sensors inside wheels. I don't have them on my 2013 model.

Back