High pitched whistle under the hood

New18CX5

:
2018 Mazda CX 5 Grand Touring Premier
When I turn off the car, there is a High pitched whistle coming from under the hood. Lasts about 30 seconds or so. Is this normal? Could it be the flux capacitor? (eyeballs)

Yeah, it's the flux capacitor. Nothing to worry about, just keep the speed under 88.

(honestly I have no idea what it is, but mine does it too)

When I turn off the car, there is a High pitched whistle coming from under the hood. Lasts about 30 seconds or so. Is this normal? Could it be the flux capacitor? (eyeballs)
I have never heard high-pitched whistle after the engine turned off on my 2016 CX-5 GT and my current loaner - a 2017 CX-5 Touring. May be my hearing needs to get checked? (dunno)

We don't get i-ELOOP on CX-5 in the US, what is the flux capacitor about? (uhm)

I have never heard high-pitched whistle after the engine turned off on my 2016 CX-5 GT and my current loaner - a 2017 CX-5 Touring. May be my hearing needs to get checked? (dunno)

We don't get i-ELOOP on CX-5 in the US, what is the flux capacitor about? (uhm)

Mine doesn't do it either. But I removed my flux capacitor, so that might be it. (silly)

Could be the AC unit pressure slowly equalizing. I shut my AC off about a block from home so I'd never hear it. I will check next time out. Ed

Could be the AC unit pressure slowly equalizing. I shut my AC off about a block from home so I'd never hear it. I will check next time out. Ed

Do you do that to prevent the smell, or some other reason?

Since I haven't had a Mazda over the summer, do other people find the AC gets smelly from mold, etc? I know some cars get it bad, others not at all.

I think its a joke.

OfficialImpressiveArrowworm-size_restricted.gif

They all do it. I think its the throttle body powering down.
I just checked my 2017 CX-5 loaner and you're right, The noise is more like humming noise from a transformer coming from the throttle body. It'll last about 30 ~ 40 seconds each time I shut off the engine. I've never noticed it because I always have my music on and can"t hear the hum from engine bay.

Definitely not from AC unit and LED headlight cooling fans. No way it can be from flux capacitor as it doesn't exist!

I just checked my 2017 CX-5 loaner and you're right, The noise is more like humming noise from a transformer coming from the throttle body. It'll last about 30 ~ 40 seconds each time I shut off the engine. I've never noticed it because I always have my music on and can"t hear the hum from engine bay.

Definitely not from AC unit and LED headlight cooling fans. No way it can be from flux capacitor as it doesn't exist!

Everyone should have one. https://www.oreillyauto.com/flux-capacitor

I hear it too - very strange.

I'm not sure if you've experienced this as well, but in mild temperatures, I can hear a whining that tracks the acceleration which is really starting to drive me absolutely nuts. It sounds like an electric golf cart, or a similar sound to what you would hear if you were driving a normal auto-trans car in reverse. Here's a link to a video for more context. https://youtu.be/0XzQCTB7lsM

That doesn't seem to sound right. I've just checked some Point of View CX-5 driving videos on YouTube and they don't seem to be making that noise.

Does it still make that noise when the engine is at normal temperatures (uhm)

Doesn't sound right to me and I almost never hear anything suspicious in these video clips! I'd have it checked by the dealer.

That doesn't seem to sound right. I've just checked some Point of View CX-5 driving videos on YouTube and they don't seem to be making that noise.

Does it still make that noise when the engine is at normal temperatures (uhm)

It's odd because it always makes that sound to some degree, but more so when it's between 0 & 8 degrees C. I have had it into the dealership 3 times complaining about it, and they say that they didn't hear anything weird/it's normal. I have only had time to drop it off before work and leave it, but I think I might bring it in, and ask to test drive one on the lot, because I certainly don't remember hearing that noise when I test drove one before buying.

Back