"ATTENTION" ALL 2017/2018 CX-5 owners

I'm not the one that had 150+ chips. I only had about 6 at the time of the inspection, and the inspector was able to immediately identify that the issue is a defect, not rocks.

You're right, my bad. I thought you were OP. Not paying close enough attention. I was wondering why all of a sudden they were replacing his hood. In one day? NICE.
LOL

A warning has been issued. Firstly, if there is any uncertainty, cursing is not banned from the forum. If you want more detail feel free to view the thread titled Rules and Guidelines under the Main forum Lounge
Also, I'm not going to tolerate members being insulted simply because they "dare" to point out faults in the car they paid for, and continue to pay for in insurance gas, etc (any reason really). .

I've decided to keep it open for now because it mostly has cleaned up by itself, and also I appreciate certain members (particualry unob) who decided not to fan the flame presented on the first page. (flame2)

Everyone here has their own opinions.. That being said, mine is that modern paint sucks in general but I definitely noticed the problem more on my last two CX-5s vs the Ford Escape I owned prior.. Chips on my front end and on my roof.

Last edited:
Thanks, once again, Chris_Top_Her... being a mod is mostly a thankless job, but a reminder that this is a place to freely discuss the positives and negatives of our vehicles never hurts.

Oh, and my Black 2014 Mazda 3 had excessive rock chips as well. And the paint pen was crap... all grey and mostly metallic flakes. I had to use a friggin' black sharpie to color them in, because it hid them much better than the pen.

Our 2005 Mazda 6 and 2001 Toyota 4Runner? Barely a handful on each after 9+ years.

"Harumph!"

Well I hope my post didn't come across as fanning flames. I actually agree with OP: if your car is that dinged up, you DO have a problem and Mazda needs to help. This is NOT normal.

and also I appreciate certain members (particualry unob)
Really? Sigh... there's going to be no living with this dude now! hehehe
:D :D

Also, I'm not going to tolerate members being insulted simply because they "dare" to point out faults in the car they paid for, and continue to pay for in insurance gas, etc (any reason really). .
(cool)

This isn't just a 17/18 issue. My 16's paint is very weak and easily chips as well.

Thicker paint still chips and shows primer, my Audi did at any rate, but chips were few and far between.

That's a good point actually. So... thick paint doesn't chip? Wouldn't thicker paint still chip but no show primer I'm guessing is the argument for thicker paint?

FALSE! Paint chips are not from rocks and stones. I complained to Mazda about the chips in my hood. They had a paint inspector look at it, and he confirmed that these chips are not from objects hitting my hood. It's a defect in the paint or in the application process. The biggest indicator of a defect is that the paint chips are appearing in clusters, and are not randomly spread out over the hood, as you would expect if they were from objects randomly hitting your car.

Mazda agreed to have my hood replaced, and repainted free of charge. More people definitely need to speak up on this.

What I posted earlier.

Good to hear.

A warning has been issued. Firstly, if there is any uncertainty, cursing is not banned from the forum. If you want more detail feel free to view the thread titled Rules and Guidelines under the Main forum Lounge

I've decided to keep it open for now because it mostly has cleaned up by itself, and also I appreciate certain members (particualry unob) who decided not to fan the flame presented on the first page. (flame2)

Everyone here has their own opinions.. That being said, mine is that modern paint sucks in general but I definitely noticed the problem more on my last two CX-5s vs the Ford Escape I owned prior.. Chips on my front end and on my roof.

Is it related to any particular color ? My white, 2016 GT has one tiny tiny chip on the very front of the hood after 2 years and 25,500 miles. I know, most certainly not related but right after purchase I had my detailer apply CQuartz UK to my CX-5

Last edited:
I've got 10,000 miles on my 17 Silver and the only chip is where I ran over a tumbleweed at about 70MPH. I got the full front half clear bra treated within a few days of taking ownership and haven't thought about it since.

Today I just call Mazda USA about my 4 months old 2017 cx-5. There are more than 150 rock chips in my soul red paint. Note: I DO NOT tailgate at all, I have always keep a longer distance than an 18 wheelers. After I speak to one of the representatives. I was told there are a large amount of people complaining about the paint issues on 2017/2018 cx-5, there might be a TSB if more people complain. please, people, I need your help if you have paint problems with your cx-5 call and please go file a complaint. I know a large number of people here have paint rock chip problem. I have own lot other cars NONE of them chips like cx-5.(They do chip but not like 150 in 4 months) 2012 Hyundai Tucson for example only 7 chips for 6 years. 2010 GMC Acadia 115k only 8 little rock chips. 2014 Toyota Sienna 0 so far. 2015 BWM 2 rock chips front, and the side because performance Pirelli tire and wheel is bigger so about 10 chips on the side that's due to my self-bought a bigger tire than the original tire. 2015 Dodge Charger 2 chips as far as I know. 2017 BMW X5 zero yet(with clear bra). 2016 Lexus lx570 zero as far as I know or I cant see because of clear bra(with clear bra). 2010 Toyota RAV4 about 120k miles on it around 10 chips. 2010 Acura TL around 7 chips. 2010 Hyundai Elantra 120k miles about 16 chips somewhere around when I counted 6 months ago. Man WTF Mazda 4k miles 150 chips?? With paying extra for soul red paint. Anyways you get the idea how bad Mazda paint is. I have seen to have bad luck with this car.... turn signal light was out less than 2k miles(warranty, did fix it but dealer was about 115mile away from me and I have to drive over and back). Left side tail light was about to fall out it was wiggling that occurs less than 500miles on it(had tow to deal and fix it). Rattling noise sounds like the wire that was rattling first occur around 300mile till now Mazda dealer denied said it was normal. hood and front passenger side head light misaligned(had it adjusted at Mazda dealer but still misaligned). The rear bumper was about to fall off occurs around 600miles (again drive to dealer get it fix by warrnty)

Sorry to hear about your issues.

Holy crap! You sure have a LOT of cars!!! By the wording of your post it sounds like you still own all of these.

I might mention the chips on mine on my next dealer visit if someone only had 6 and got a hood replaced, hahahaha. I've got going on close to 2 dozen now, large, fillable ones (that I have filled), and then a bunch of really small ones that I can't really even count accurately from the hood all the way up the sides. I don't tailgate, and I drive fairly reasonably. Can't say I've heard more than a rock or 2 hit the car since I've had it in the past 6 months.

I will reiterate that my 2015 Genesis Sedan had exactly 1 paint chip from a rock that I heard bounce off the fender over my music in one of the quietest cabins on the market over 1 year of ownership on a multi-stage paint job. So this does seem excessive to me. My coupe had maybe a 1/2 a dozen in 6 years, and my 2000's Echo had like 3 in 15 years, hahaha.

Does it really bother me thaaaaat much? It did, but not anymore. It's a daily driver, and I plan on having a "for fun" car in the next couple years once I build my house. This machine is basically gonna be a work horse for me anyway over the coming years. But if I can get away with repaints, hey, why not. Hahaha. Worth a shot.

In the meantime, my touchup paint I bought from ChipFixx is fantastic and covers the chips almost perfectly. :)

Last edited:
I've been on other forums, I hear people complain about their paint chipping, from hondas to bmws. Just because some folks have this issue doesn't make it a wide spread issue. When I had my 2014 mazda3, there were also members complaining about paint chips while others have no problem. I might be one of the lucky ones I guess, I only got about 5-6 small chips on the mazda3. My 2017 cx-5 so far has no paint chips in the 9 months and 13k miles I've had it. Oh yeah both cars are snowflake white. I do have a tiny rock chip on my windshield tho but I'm not going to put the blame on mazda or think it's a widespread problem. I understand the owner will be upset with that much amount of chips but it's hard to say that because one owner has a bad experience, everybody is going to have the same, eventually. I was actually surprised how well the paint held up, did much better than the pontiac vibe gt I had before. Every time on the freeway when a gravel truck is driving a few car distance away, I can hear little rocks hitting the car (going 65-70 mph) and to my surprise when I got out of the car to check there were no chips. There must be some sort of mathematical formula to calculate the chance of getting a rock chip. The size and shape of the rock how it goes through the air at what speed and if it hits your car at just the right angle to leave a chip. Having 150+ chips in only 4 months, you should definitely get some sort of protection for your car's paint since it looks like the area you drive in has lots of debris.

Edit: I just remembered now, I only got 2 chips so far and it's on my hood, nothing on my bumper but that was from a large piece of something that hit the car on the freeway.

German built cars usually have sturdier paint because the automakers there have carved out exceptions from environmental VOC regulations regarding their paints. The auto industry is hugely influential in Germany - often local governments are invested enough to have a seat on the board. Starting in the 90s Japan switched to water based low VOC paints, and the USA switched in the mid-2000s. Generally these paints have not been as chip resistant.

That said, OP sounds like more like a prep defect. I do tons of highway driving for 5 years and only have a few tiny chips.

I might mention the chips on mine on my next dealer visit if someone only had 6 and got a hood replaced, hahahaha. I've got going on close to 2 dozen now, large, fillable ones (that I have filled), and then a bunch of really small ones that I can't really even count accurately from the hood all the way up the sides. I don't tailgate, and I drive fairly reasonably. Can't say I've heard more than a rock or 2 hit the car since I've had it in the past 6 months.

I will reiterate that my 2015 Genesis Sedan had exactly 1 paint chip from a rock that I heard bounce off the fender over my music in one of the quietest cabins on the market over 1 year of ownership on a multi-stage paint job. So this does seem excessive to me. My coupe had maybe a 1/2 a dozen in 6 years, and my 2000's Echo had like 3 in 15 years, hahaha.

Does it really bother me thaaaaat much? It did, but not anymore. It's a daily driver, and I plan on having a "for fun" car in the next couple years once I build my house. This machine is basically gonna be a work horse for me anyway over the coming years. But if I can get away with repaints, hey, why not. Hahaha. Worth a shot.

In the meantime, my touchup paint I bought from ChipFixx is fantastic and covers the chips almost perfectly. :)

Don't expect to walk into a dealership and say, "My car has paint chips on the hood, please replace it." and expect them to do it. They will laugh at you. I had zero contact with a dealership during this process of getting my hood replaced, I only dealt with Mazda corporate. Getting them to acknowledge the issue was a defect was a 2-month process. Getting them to replace the hood was another two month process. Expect to put in a lot of effort if you want Mazda to cover this, and don't waste a minute of your time at a dealership.

Back