"ATTENTION" ALL 2017/2018 CX-5 owners

As the OP got the car with 4 miles on could it be possible that there was a "mishap" with the car transporter and some remedial work has been carried out on the sly and not up to a very good standard?

As the OP got the car with 4 miles on could it be possible that there was a "mishap" with the car transporter and some remedial work has been carried out on the sly and not up to a very good standard?

That would be my guess if the bumper and lights are falling off it.

Don't expect to walk into a dealership and say, "My car has paint chips on the hood, please replace it." and expect them to do it. They will laugh at you. I had zero contact with a dealership during this process of getting my hood replaced, I only dealt with Mazda corporate. Getting them to acknowledge the issue was a defect was a 2-month process. Getting them to replace the hood was another two month process. Expect to put in a lot of effort if you want Mazda to cover this, and don't waste a minute of your time at a dealership.

Fair point, good to know!

OP if you detail what steps you are taking it can help others. Also share your experience with mazda corporate. Understand that this could be an issue with a few cars only.

2017 Soul Red owner here. Also unhappy about the number of chips on my hood (and some on the side of the vehicle). About 2 weeks ago, Mazda NA sent me a survey to fill out, in which I described my chip problem. Mazda immediately followed up, asking for pictures and telling me to schedule a visit with my dealer. If Mazda didn't care, and assumed I simply followed other vehicles too closely, I don't believe they would have followed up as they have. Mazda may end up not doing anything about it, but in the meantime, I've taken the pictures and will schedule the visit. I've owned other vehicles many years older that have had less paint chips than my less than 1 year old CX-5. It was simply not within my budget after purchasing my CX-5 to do the clear bra thing on the entire front end of the vehicle. I certainly wish now that I had been able to do so.

They sent me to my local dealership as well. The service manager said it was all rock chips (which I don't think anyone can debate) and sent me on my way. I spoke with the Mazda corporate customer service rep over the span of a month, and she said there was nothing they could do for me.

When I told them that I was more frustrated that this paint problem can't even be fixed with a paint pen, as they've been on backorder for almost a year, she said she'd get back to me. 2 weeks later she called and offered me a $100 credit for my troubles... still no paint pen or acknowledgement of an issue with the paint on the car :(

They sent me to my local dealership as well. The service manager said it was all rock chips (which I don't think anyone can debate) and sent me on my way. I spoke with the Mazda corporate customer service rep over the span of a month, and she said there was nothing they could do for me.

When I told them that I was more frustrated that this paint problem can't even be fixed with a paint pen, as they've been on backorder for almost a year, she said she'd get back to me. 2 weeks later she called and offered me a $100 credit for my troubles... still no paint pen or acknowledgement of an issue with the paint on the car :(

Contact Mazda USA again. They are repainting my 2017 CX-5 SRCM at no cost next week. It had 102 chips after 1 year of ownership. Both the dealer and corporate have been great about this so far. I'm worried they won't get the color right and/or do a poor job overall. If the chipping problem isn't solved, I will explore FL's lemon law which does include paint failures.

Welp, I went to wax our 2018 CX-5 that is white a few weeks ago and noticed more than a dozen chips on our CX-5's hood and roof. Some tiny/just starting, some larger than a quarter. I actually noticed a while ago but thought it was just dirt. I broke my hand so could not wax and figured I'd just get it clean when it healed. I usually wash the car regularly and wax 2x per year, by hand, no machine.

No branch or anything has hit the vehicle. I assume if something came flying off a truck I would've heard it and the windshield would have chips. We have a 20+ year old vehicle with nearly 200k miles and original paint, It has no chips. This CX-5 is not even two years old. I already see more chips starting.

Anyone experience issues with the White color?

Thanks!

Anyone experience issues with the White color?

Thanks!
It's not just the soul red or white colour, and it's not just the CX-5.
My 3 year old 6 (machine grey metallic) is littered with small white dots on the hood and A pillar.
I only have 12,000 miles on this thing, and there are more chips on it than there are on my 18 year old Nissan Pathfinder.
I'm seriously pissed off about it, and plan to take it up at my dealer in the next few weeks.
This is a Mazda paint problem, and not a driver problem.
I live in the burbs, and the car goes to Costco and Walmart once a week. That's it.
It's ridiculous, and has really dampened my appreciation for my car.
I'm already thinking of ways to get rid of it.

It's not just the soul red or white colour, and it's not just the CX-5.
My 3 year old 6 (machine grey metallic) is littered with small white dots on the hood and A pillar.
I only have 12,000 miles on this thing, and there are more chips on it than there are on my 18 year old Nissan Pathfinder.
I'm seriously pissed off about it, and plan to take it up at my dealer in the next few weeks.
This is a Mazda paint problem, and not a driver problem.
I live in the burbs, and the car goes to Costco and Walmart once a week. That's it.
It's ridiculous, and has really dampened my appreciation for my car.
I'm already thinking of ways to get rid of it.
If you really want to do something on your paint chips, you’d better do it before 3-year / 36K-mile new car warranty expires. Honestly I believe this paint problem could be batch by batch issue. My 2016 Sonic Silver has been holding up fine even though my salesman told me the reason why Mazda changed silver color from Liquid Silver to darker Sonic Silver for MY 2016 is because the old silver is having the “paint problem”.

Back