Fs-ze question

:
02 protege5 ES 5dr
So I picked this up today, and noticed the fpr appears different than the FS DE, how big an issue is this ? Or do I use the FS DE fuel rail and be done with it ?

As well, came attached to an auto transmission. Is there anything one needs to attach to a 5spd manual ?

Thanks in advance [emoji41][emoji106]

Super excited to get p5 sorted as MSP is next up !
01be612cf02e4617ffcf6e4f7314f073.jpg

You will need a new fuel line, the de does not match up, as well as a new wiring harness. Which in turn you will need a new ECU to match the harness and be able to run the ze motor.

In my experience, I got an auto transmission motor and needed to swap to a 5speed manual. With the automatic, there is a seperator plate between the long block and the oil pan. That needs to be removed, after the flywheel has been removed as well.

You got a JDM 626 4WD engine, which has a different FPR... notice the thermostat housing and power steering line are also different
You will want to use your stock FPR so that the fuel pressure matches... if the injectors are not the same color, you'll want to use the stock injectors (same as JDM Protege injectors)

the crank girdle on the auto is different than the manual... you'll end up being able to use only 2 of the 3 starter bolts... you can swap that if you want, but it's some work and it's not completely necessary

you'll need to use the stock crank pulley and knock sensor also

Last edited:
You got a JDM 626 4WD engine, which has a different FPR... notice the thermostat housing and power steering line are also different
You will want to use your stock FPR so that the fuel pressure matches... if the injectors are not the same color, you'll want to use the stock injectors (same as JDM Protege injectors)

the crank girdle on the auto is different than the manual... you'll end up being able to use only 2 of the 3 starter bolts... you can swap that if you want, but it's some work and it's not completely necessary

you'll need to use the stock crank pulley and knock sensor also
Oh awesome, I realized shortly after posting that you have answered this and other questions similar to mine on the forums and after a little leg work sorted some of the questions I had out. ( Didn't realize which fs-ze I purchased though thank you for that info ! ).

The intake came with a hole punched in the lower plenum chamber so I have gone with a 626 intake that can accomodate my stock fsde fuel rail ( solving fpr concern ) and should play well with mp3 ecu [emoji41]

Just painting a water outlet ( single port facing right direction ).

I am giddy excited to drop it in !

Curious what your thoughts are on under drive crank pulleys ? Was considering an OBX underdrive crank pulley and playing with timing advance.

Thanks for your input !

you just derated the performance on your engine by using a 626 intake manifold
the FS-ZE intake manifold is actually the best one for these engines and is what helps give the performance boost... you use the FS-ZE fuel rail anyway

there's nothing to be gained from underdrive pulleys and you cannot advance any spark timing... the ECU will compensate... the lack of a harmonic dampener in the underdrive pulley also could reduce oil pump life

Hi guys,

The JDM engine I swapped into my P5 has the exact same intake manifold w/resonance chamber on it,
but apparently came from an MPV as it had the "torque" cams in it, not the FSH9 -ZE cams. You might
want to pop the cam cover and see what you actually have in there. On TheMANs' advice I swapped the
original FS-DE cams into mine (with plenty of assembly lube) and it is making sweet music with my MP3
ECU.

Running mine without a pulsation dampener, because the US FS-DE has it mounted on the fuel rail while the
JDM vehicles have it mounted on the firewall; can be replaced with one from a MPV or Miata if you feel the need.
The original lines connected up just fine, but one of them has a loop in it because it was too long and I wasn't up
to cutting it and reinstalling the fitting.

I used the original P5 wiring harness and all of the vacuum solenoids. Capped off the VTCS solenoid vacuum
outlet but left the vacuum source and plug connected so it doesn't throw a CEL. Not sure if it would anyway
since the MP3 didn't have VTCS, but it looks nicer with no empty connectors flopping around! Modified the
original solenoid bracket to fit the JDM manifold and it looks very OEM in there.

Just my .02, hope it all works for you. Enjoy that ECU!
Tracy

Hi guys,

The JDM engine I swapped into my P5 has the exact same intake manifold w/resonance chamber on it,
but apparently came from an MPV as it had the "torque" cams in it, not the FSH9 -ZE cams. You might
want to pop the cam cover and see what you actually have in there. On TheMANs' advice I swapped the
original FS-DE cams into mine (with plenty of assembly lube) and it is making sweet music with my MP3
ECU.

Running mine without a pulsation dampener, because the US FS-DE has it mounted on the fuel rail while the
JDM vehicles have it mounted on the firewall; can be replaced with one from a MPV or Miata if you feel the need.
The original lines connected up just fine, but one of them has a loop in it because it was too long and I wasn't up

I used the original P5 wiring harness and all of the vacuum solenoids. Capped off the VTCS solenoid vacuum
outlet but left the vacuum source and plug connected so it doesn't throw a CEL. Not sure if it would anyway
since the MP3 didn't have VTCS, but it looks nicer with no empty connectors flopping around! Modified the
original solenoid bracket to fit the JDM manifold and it looks very OEM in there.

Tracy
Yeah it's caveat emptor for sure, the JDM shop here in town dealt me a low blow. They managed to smash a dime size hole through one of the runners and when I found the damage refused to issue any monies and pointed to the fine print where it states the head and block are the only items that would be covered. I know it wasn't damaged when I purchased it, but had it picked up a day later ( and I guess that's when damaged occured ). Damnit, and this is why I am using a down rated intake. Which makes me really choked. But some things aren't worth burning up over.. I will fix the intake at some point in the future and use it then.

Thanks for the info on your setup sounds solid [emoji41]

The engine swap is on hold for a bit as last time I went for a drive in the Rockies I iceberged and have to replace drivers side wheel hub 'n axel. So close to making kit through this winter unscathed.

As for now that ecu sits on a shelf waiting for me to get to it ( along with bucket seats, harness bar, steering wheel, Megan trailing arms & laterals, 4 point ladder brace, awr mounts etc etc). Decided on a light weight but full size crank pulley.. at this point I feel I may be a protege hoarder !! Thanks eBay/Kijiji Lol

Excited to get on with it all, I love the car as she is but soon she will be much much more !

I have a complete FS-ZE intake manifold with egr tube and fuel rail I'd be willing to let go of if need be...........................

Okay, so into the FS-ZE.

Finally sourced M14 bolts ( 2 x 100mm 2 x 120mm ) and have the engine up on stand.

Investigation under the valve cover reveals a not entirely unexpected bit of under-whelming news. This engine as Edwin pointed out came from an all wheel drive and as such equipped with FS-1E intake and exhaust cams. I haven't been able to find much info on these other than they are torque biased ( which I am still uncertain what that might mean in a practical sense to my application ) just that they are not what I want.

I had at some point pulled the cams from a 2001 spicy orange MSP at pick 'n pull and was going to use if I could dig them out of the garage ( needles in hay stack lol ). However to my delight I woke up this morning to find a message from the fellow that build the rally car I just purchased as a donar for my build saying he has 2 new in the box Jspec cam shafts for that car he never got around to installing. A brief negotiation later and I now have cams sorted ! FSH9-12-420 and FSD7 ( as sold by SR motorsports ). Absolutely sick, now the only outstanding issue is the crank pulley, which when the 10 o'clock postman brings me a letter ( and lightweight hydramotor sports pulley ) this engine is green for go !

The fellow who sold me the cams was also happy to share the history of his car and pointed me to some local resources. Great day so far [emoji41]
56e0022493f94f663edfe2c759eb78da.jpg
2db1b70bedb7b59b1b8d8d06bb25beaa.jpg

Hi guys,

ECU.

Tracy
got pics of the MPV cams? Any chance you can have them measured?

Okay, so into the FS-ZE.

Finally sourced M14 bolts ( 2 x 100mm 2 x 120mm ) and have the engine up on stand.

Investigation under the valve cover reveals a not entirely unexpected bit of under-whelming news. This engine as Edwin pointed out came from an all wheel drive and as such equipped with FS-1E intake and exhaust cams. I haven't been able to find much info on these other than they are torque biased ( which I am still uncertain what that might mean in a practical sense to my application ) just that they are not what I want.

I had at some point pulled the cams from a 2001 spicy orange MSP at pick 'n pull and was going to use if I could dig them out of the garage ( needles in hay stack lol ). However to my delight I woke up this morning to find a message from the fellow that build the rally car I just purchased as a donar for my build saying he has 2 new in the box Jspec cam shafts for that car he never got around to installing. A brief negotiation later and I now have cams sorted ! FSH9-12-420 and FSD7 ( as sold by SR motorsports ). Absolutely sick, now the only outstanding issue is the crank pulley, which when the 10 o'clock postman brings me a letter ( and lightweight hydramotor sports pulley ) this engine is green for go !

The fellow who sold me the cams was also happy to share the history of his car and pointed me to some local resources. Great day so far [emoji41]
56e0022493f94f663edfe2c759eb78da.jpg
2db1b70bedb7b59b1b8d8d06bb25beaa.jpg

FS1E = MPV FS-DE
FSH9 = FS-ZE and Euro/Aus FS-DE
FSD7 exhaust cam is same as USDM stock

Back