Bosch ST3300 Oil Filter - Fits 2016 but won't work for 2017??

Thank you yrwei52 for the PDF. The only thing it specifies from a technical standpoint is that it's a "high flow" filter. This amount of flow (whatever that is) can be achieved via two mechanisms; filtering media or bypass valve. Filtering media is relatively self explanatory, a media which filters less efficiently will have higher flow. A filter with higher efficiency will have a lower flow rate. Mind you, lower flow rate doesn't mean that the engine is being starved for oil as it's ultimately the oil pump which is responsible for the GPM rate. An engine being starved of oil due to the filter is an extremely rare occurrence. However, in an event where there is an unusually high amount of oil pressure, the bypass springs open so that the oil literally bypasses the media and flows through the filter unfiltered. Even in these instances, a complete opening of the bypass valve is unlikely. It should be noted that efficiency isn't the only thing which will cause this increase of pressure. Oil viscosity, temperature (cold temps will increase the viscosity of the oil) and high RPM situations will increase oil pressure.

I've cross-referenced several filters below. You'll see there's quite a bit of overlap between the bypass pressure that's "required" of the OEM filter and aftermarket filters. Given that, I'd rather go with a filter that is more efficient. Though it should be noted, while the efficiency of an oil filter is important it's not the most important aspect of a vehicle's filtration. That would go to your engine's air filter. I'll put the Wix "custom" filter and the Wix equivalent to the B6Y1-14-302A at the top for direct comparison.

Wix 57002 - PSI 11-14 - Nominal Micron Rating of 15
Wix 51365 - PSI 8-11 - Nominal Micron Rating of 21

Purolator L14612 - PSI 14-18 - 96.5% @ 20 microns
Fram XG6607 - PSI 13 - 99% >20 microns
Bosch ST3300 - PSI 8 - Micron Rating of 20 (assuming nominal)
MicroGard MGL57002 - PSI 11-14 - 95% @ 29 microns (MicroGard is made by Wix)
Plenty of good information here. But I have to say that this may not be true if the filtering media which filters less efficiently will have higher flow rate. The filtering media in Mazda OEM oil filter has much larger total area when people cut it open and check. Larger media area with higher efficiency 15-micron media still can achieve higher flow. That's why OEM oil filter is the best for our SkyActiv-G engines, not to mention other specs on OEM oil filter which are also different from traditional oil filters.

Plenty of good information here. But I have to say that this may not be true if the filtering media which filters less efficiently will have higher flow rate. The filtering media in Mazda OEM oil filter has much larger total area when people cut it open and check. Larger media area with higher efficiency 15-micron media still can achieve higher flow. That's why OEM oil filter is the best for our SkyActiv-G engines, not to mention other specs on OEM oil filter which are also different from traditional oil filters.

And the holes for the flow back out of the filter are 2x the area of the aftermarket pictured above. That and greater filter area all contribute to a higher flow rate.

A nominal rating of 15 simply means that the media is filtering 50% of the particles at 15um. That's really not that efficient. In theory, if you have two filters with the same media, the filter with more media surface area should push through more volume. The main question is; does an aftermarket filter with smaller media surface cause decreased oil delivery? I cast my vote in the no bin. I think that's where you and I are in disagreement (drinks). Of the filters I listed, the only one I wouldn't use is the Bosch (ironic considering that's the filter that started this thread), not because I don't trust the build quality but rather because the bypass rating is BELOW the supposed OE spec of 11-14. The Bosch will go into bypass mode quicker which will result in more unfiltered oil going through the engine.

My suspicion is that Mazda is using a high flow oil pump for the SkyActiv lineup and found that their original filter was going into bypass too frequently, so they redesigned the filter to include a bypass valve with a higher rating. I further assume that Wix saw that their 51365 filter had a bypass valve with a lower rating and redesigned accordingly which resulted in the 57002, meanwhile other manufacturers already had a 51365 equivalent that had the higher bypass valve rating, therefor decided that there's no need to product an additional filter.

And the holes for the flow back out of the filter are 2x the area of the aftermarket pictured above. That and greater filter area all contribute to a higher flow rate.

Oil flows INTO the filter using the outer holes. The center hole is the return to the engine. The diameter of the return will be the same for all filters that fit this engine.
FilterFlowDiagram2.jpg

Last edited:
A nominal rating of 15 simply means that the media is filtering 50% of the particles at 15um. That's really not that efficient. In theory, if you have two filters with the same media, the filter with more media surface area should push through more volume. The main question is; does an aftermarket filter with smaller media surface cause decreased oil delivery? I cast my vote in the no bin. I think that's where you and I are in disagreement (drinks). Of the filters I listed, the only one I wouldn't use is the Bosch (ironic considering that's the filter that started this thread), not because I don't trust the build quality but rather because the bypass rating is BELOW the supposed OE spec of 11-14. The Bosch will go into bypass mode quicker which will result in more unfiltered oil going through the engine.

My suspicion is that Mazda is using a high flow oil pump for the SkyActiv lineup and found that their original filter was going into bypass too frequently, so they redesigned the filter to include a bypass valve with a higher rating. I further assume that Wix saw that their 51365 filter had a bypass valve with a lower rating and redesigned accordingly which resulted in the 57002, meanwhile other manufacturers already had a 51365 equivalent that had the higher bypass valve rating, therefor decided that there's no need to product an additional filter.

Oil flows INTO the filter using the outer holes. The center hole is the return to the engine. The diameter of the return will be the same for all filters that fit this engine.
Again excellent post explained many questions we have about oil filters and specifically the ones could be used on our SkyActiv-G engines.

You haven't mentioned anti-drainback valve found on many aftermarket oil filters for SkyActiv-G's. I'd say don't use such oil filter as it's totally unnecessary for our SA-G's.

Most people don't know or don't care the true specs of oil filters, they tend to use the cheaper or a brand they trust as long as the oil filter "fits". I believe sticking with not-so-expensive Mazda OEM filter is the easiest and best recommendation for everybody. (drinks)

Now I hope OP can read your post and give up his Bosch ST3300 oil filter ⋯ ;)

Now I hope OP can read your post and give up his Bosch ST3300 oil filter ⋯ ;)

Here is a video showing the internals of the Mazda OEM oil filter. As the video shows, it lacks an anti-drain back valve and it lacks complete coverage so the oil doesn't always get filtered. That leaves me a little uneasy. There are better filters out there. Remember, Mazda does NOT make its own oil filters, it outsources to the cheapest manufacturer.

Here is a video showing the internals of the Mazda OEM oil filter. As the video shows, it lacks an anti-drain back valve and it lacks complete coverage so the oil doesn't always get filtered. That leaves me a little uneasy. There are better filters out there. Remember, Mazda does NOT make its own oil filters, it outsources to the cheapest manufacturer.

Mazda outsourced to Roki for their factory filters and Denso for their OEM filters. The manufacturer of their value filters is not known to me but they come from Mexico. It’s possible Denso has a factory there as they have factories everywhere.

On the anti-drainback valve, I wonder if it’s necessary due to the size and capacity of the filter? Maybe I don’t understand the concept?

I think I will just return the Bosch and get a Mobil1 extended life oil filter. They are synthetic, have anti-drainback valves and have been shown to be great quality.

oil filters have a bypass that allows the oil to flow right through if the filter part becomes too dirty. shame on you if you neglect your oil change to that point though.

I think I will just return the Bosch and get a Mobil1 extended life oil filter. They are synthetic, have anti-drainback valves and have been shown to be great quality.

Sounds like a good plan. I’m considering that as well as my first dealer stop only had the value filters in stock.

why would you use a Mobil 1 filter over Bosch?

BOSCH oil filters are made by Mann &Hummel which owns Purolator. Threads over at BITOG suggest that quality has gone downhill.

Mann makes excellent quality filters. They make OEM ones for BMW. Very good quality. Id still pick Bosch over Mobil 1.

Mann makes excellent quality filters. They make OEM ones for BMW. Very good quality. I’d still pick Bosch over Mobil 1.

Their OEM filters are very good from what I’ve heard. The Bosch filters are not the same though. As long as they do the job though it’s fine.

The guy in video apparently doesn't know too much about Mazda SkyActiv-G engines. He cut open a Thailand-made 1WPE-14-302 Mazda OEM filter but kept wondering why there's no oil left inside the filter, and why he didn't see an anti-drainback valve! The oil was all gone because there's no ADBV. And the oil filter for SA-G is mounted baseplate up hence it doesn't need ADBV! Further, we can see an o-ring on the side of by-pass valve touching center core of the filtering media, how is it possible it would be leaking unfiltered oil commented by the guy? This's a perfect example of false information easily be found on the Internet!

Here are several links of info from Bob is the Oil Guy on all 3 Mazda OEM filters been cut open with pictures:

Mazda PE01-14-302 Factory Filter CUT OPEN

Mazda 1WPE-14-302 Filter 5k mi - Mystery Bypass!

Mazda PE01-14-302A-MV used cut open 7,779 miles

All of them looked excellent after many thousand miles of service including the Mexican made one. So Lbear, don't bother looking for unknown aftermarket oil filters, just go get OEM. Yeah, Mazda did go cheap discontinued Japanese oil filter and outsourced to other manufacturers. But oil filters made by those manufacturers still have to meet the required specifications given by Mazda. You can always get the Denso one if you ask for it at dealer's parts department with 1WPE-14-302 part number. They can always order one for you if they don't have it in stock. Remember even the Mexican made OEM oil filter is excellent according to the cut-open result.

BTW, 1WPE-14-302 from Thailand is most likely made by Denso as it's physically different in size comparing to PE01-14-302A from Japan made by Tokyo Roki. Some claim PE01-14-302A-MV from Mexico is made by Wix but someone had cut open both Mazda "Value Products" PE01-14-302A-MV and Wix 57002 and found they're definitely different.

The guy in video apparently doesn't know too much about Mazda SkyActiv-G engines. He cut open a Thailand-made 1WPE-14-302 Mazda OEM filter but kept wondering why there's no oil left inside the filter, and why he didn't see an anti-drainback valve! The oil was all gone because there's no ADBV. And the oil filter for SA-G is mounted baseplate up hence it doesn't need ADBV! Further, we can see an o-ring on the side of by-pass valve touching center core of the filtering media, how is it possible it would be leaking unfiltered oil commented by the guy? This's a perfect example of false information easily be found on the Internet!

Here are several links of info from Bob is the Oil Guy on all 3 Mazda OEM filters been cut open with pictures:

Mazda PE01-14-302 Factory Filter CUT OPEN

Mazda 1WPE-14-302 Filter 5k mi - Mystery Bypass!

Mazda PE01-14-302A-MV used cut open 7,779 miles

All of them looked excellent after many thousand miles of service including the Mexican made one. So Lbear, don't bother looking for unknown aftermarket oil filters, just go get OEM. Yeah, Mazda did go cheap discontinued Japanese oil filter and outsourced to other manufacturers. But oil filters made by those manufacturers still have to meet the required specifications given by Mazda. You can always get the Denso one if you ask for it at dealer's parts department with 1WPE-14-302 part number. They can always order one for you if they don't have it in stock. Remember even the Mexican made OEM oil filter is excellent according to the cut-open result.

BTW, 1WPE-14-302 from Thailand is most likely made by Denso as it's physically different in size comparing to PE01-14-302A from Japan made by Tokyo Roki. Some claim PE01-14-302A-MV from Mexico is made by Wix but someone had cut open both Mazda "Value Products" PE01-14-302A-MV and Wix 57002 and found they're definitely different.

Roki has a factory in Mexico that makes filters so my initial guess is that they make the value line ones with cost savings in mind. I cannot confirm that but Japanese manufacturers like to keep things in the family (keiretsu) so to speak.

I want the best oil filter for my Mazda. I wish my dealer would carry the better filter but it's the "value" series.

Mobil1 filters are rated pretty high and well made.

I want the best oil filter for my Mazda. I wish my dealer would carry the better filter but it's the "value" series.

Mobil1 filters are rated pretty high and well made.
You can always get OEM non-value-products 1WPE-14-302 Denso filter from any Mazda dealers, or any online places. Your Mazda dealer can order one for you if they don't have it in stock. Read the posts at Bob is the Oil Guy and everyone there agreed these OEM filters proven excellent. If you still want M1 filter, make sure the filter is rated "high-flow" and meet all specs by Mazda including the by-pass psi, and no ADBV.

Roki has a factory in Mexico that makes filters so my initial guess is that they make the value line ones with cost savings in mind. I cannot confirm that but Japanese manufacturers like to keep things in the family (keiretsu) so to speak.
Value Products OEM oil filter from Mexico looks different externally and internally comparing to Tokyo Roki filter. That's why nobody knows who is the manufacture of it.

You haven't mentioned anti-drainback valve found on many aftermarket oil filters for SkyActiv-G's. I'd say don't use such oil filter as it's totally unnecessary for our SA-G's.

You're right about the ADBV. When you have a vertical (thread end up) filter mount then there really isn't a need for an ADBV. There's an idea that even in these applications they may be beneficial as they may help keep oil in the engine longer which minimizes dry starts. While I believe this to be true, it's certainly not detrimental to your engine's health.

Back