Bosch ST3300 Oil Filter - Fits 2016 but won't work for 2017??

I really don't get this one. I have a $3,000 engine but, spend time tying to source a cheaper than OEM oil filter, even going to the extreme of using a filter that doesn't meet specs in the written material. For less than $8.00 I can chose from OEM, Fram Ultra or NAPA Gold that will last the maximum oil filter change of 7,500 miles. Ed
1. Never mentioned sourcing a cheaper filter.
2. Which specs are you referring to and where is this written material?
3. New max OCI is 10k miles.
According to Mazda, in the US for Gen-1 CX-5 before 2016 MY the maximum OCI is 7,500 miles or 6 months whichever comes first. 2016 CX-5 added Flexible OCI which can be up to 10,000 miles or 12 months. For Gen-2 CX-5 Mazda has changed its Flexible OCI to up to 7,500 miles or 12 months.

According to Mazda, in the US for Gen-1 CX-5 before 2016 MY the maximum OCI is 7,500 miles or 6 months whichever comes first. 2016 CX-5 added Flexible OCI which can be up to 10,000 miles or 12 months. For Gen-2 CX-5 Mazda has changed its Flexible OCI to up to 7,500 miles or 12 months.

Good info! I was not aware that they reduced the maximum setting to 7,500 miles for the 2018MY. Hmm, very interesting and could explain the rather high dilution levels I've been having in my '16.5 on the flexible oil schedule. Thank you for this tidbit.

With regards to the filter, if you have a copy of the statement where corporate mentions differences in the internals I'd greatly appreciate that. This seems like a situation of a rumor run amok and is now being taken as fact. I simply can't find the data to support it.

Good info! I was not aware that they reduced the maximum setting to 7,500 miles for the 2018MY. Hmm, very interesting and could explain the rather high dilution levels I've been having in my '16.5 on the flexible oil schedule. Thank you for this tidbit.

With regards to the filter, if you have a copy of the statement where corporate mentions differences in the internals I'd greatly appreciate that. This seems like a situation of a rumor run amok and is now being taken as fact. I simply can't find the data to support it.
The PDF file from Mazda North American Operations posted above originally by AdzamOZ is an official document to all Mazda dealers. It's good enough for me if I want an eveidence. Most aftermarket filters claimed to be compatible with both PE01-14-302 and B6Y1-14-302 filters but in fact these two OEM filters are different on internal structure and specs. Someone also posted a similar letter from Mazda of Asia in the same thread but the picture is no longer available.

The pdf shows as a broken link for me as well. I would like to see if this is up to date. M1, Purolator and Fram all reference filters for the 2.5 SkyActiv engine.

Looks racist to me, but who cares where they are made? It's mazda genuine, doesn't void the warranty and used by the dealership, can't really go wrong. As long as you change your filter every 10k, any filter is good. We use $AUD 5 filters in our workshop, on all cars, never got any problems or complaints.

Geez. Here we go. Racist attacks based on oil filters.(fight)

Let me repeat this. Filters made in Mexico suck. There. (sssh)

Also, if you take your CX5 to Mazda to change oil, they will use the cheaper Mexican oil filter and they will NOT use Mazda Moly. They will use barrel oil, which is typically Castrol oil, a non-moly brand.

Geez. Here we go. Racist attacks based on oil filters.(fight)

Let me repeat this. Filters made in Mexico suck. There. (sssh)

Also, if you take your CX5 to Mazda to change oil, they will use the cheaper Mexican oil filter and they will NOT use Mazda Moly. They will use barrel oil, which is typically Castrol oil, a non-moly brand.

Not even Castrol oil, likely a generic brand like Preferred Choice or something along that line. Whatever is cheapest that meets the specs.

I just use penrite 5W-30 full synthetic or GF5.

Not even Castrol oil, likely a generic brand like Preferred Choice or something along that line. Whatever is cheapest that meets the specs.

I kinda feel sorry for you guys/gals with crappy dealers. At my last oil change I got a 1WPE-14-302 (Thailand) filter and 5 quarts of Mazda Moly (at my request) for $50 (had a $20 coupon). If I didn't specify the Moly, I'd get Valvoline (their "house brand").

There's good and bad dealers in all brands. Look for a better one if possible.

I see the PDF being referenced but not the actual link. Can you provide the link to the PDF?
strangely I can see attached PDF file within AdzamOZ's repost here. Or you can click small double arrows next to AdzamOZ on the repost to go to his original post and see attached PDF file. Or just click the following link and click attached PDF file in AdzamOZ's original post.

Skyactiv Oil Filters

Here is one MNAO PDF to their US Mazda Dealers concerning genuine Oil Filter(s) installation and use for ALL SA Engines..
Mazda Dealers (in USA particularly) are also seeing stored DTC's (Diagnostic Trouble Codes in PCM) when they use even 'other' genuine Mazda oil filters in Skyactiv engines, see pic, they look identical, but it is what is inside.

attachment.php

I think this oil filter comparison is blown way out of proportion. I like to use quality products on my cars, but in hindsight there are thousands of regular cheap oil filters sold that meet the spec and don't blow up engines.
My dealer charged me for a Mazda filter but used this generic Reliaguard. Sounds like they use these all the time. One other reason I normally do my own service. I personally wouldn't chose these but if the dealer uses them, don't you think they meet the minimum Mazda spec?
I can't find exact details on this one, but here is their website.

https://www.fvpparts.com/files/4713/8377/1413/Oil_Filters.pdf

Here are a couple pics compared to a Mazda OEM filter. Not sure how you guys attach pics, but mine always show up as a link

Attachments

• 20171107_105232.jpg
    20171107_105232.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 992
  • 20171215_090504.jpg
    20171215_090504.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 988
  • 20171215_090513.jpg
    20171215_090513.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 986
  • 20171215_090711.jpg
    20171215_090711.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 979

What's wrong with Castrol?

I think this oil filter comparison is blown way out of proportion. I like to use quality products on my cars, but in hindsight there are thousands of regular cheap oil filters sold that meet the spec and don't blow up engines.
My dealer charged me for a Mazda filter but used this generic Reliaguard. Sounds like they use these all the time. One other reason I normally do my own service. I personally wouldn't chose these but if the dealer uses them, don't you think they meet the minimum Mazda spec?
I can't find exact details on this one, but here is their website.

https://www.fvpparts.com/files/4713/8377/1413/Oil_Filters.pdf

Here are a couple pics compared to a Mazda OEM filter. Not sure how you guys attach pics, but mine always show up as a link

Based on the pictures, the Mazda has double the filter area and double the hole area for flow - seems to be a significant design difference. I am not sure oil filters have to meet any kind of manufacturer spec. If they do, I am not aware of it. I found this dated article that mentions some SAE specs, but nothing about individual manufacturer specs. If Mazda has specs that are above and beyond SAE (likely they do) then we should use Mazda filters, or filters that meet Mazda requirements.

http://www.austincc.edu/wkibbe/oilfilterstudy.htm

The pdf is two years old so it may or may not be applicable today. I know members on BITOG that use filters other than the Mazda filter with no issues. Perhaps the filter manufacturers are making filters to meet specs.

This is not to discourage anyone from using the Mazda filters. They are top notch and for the price can’t be beat.

The pdf is two years old so it may or may not be applicable today. I know members on BITOG that use filters other than the Mazda filter with no issues. Perhaps the filter manufacturers are making filters to meet specs.

This is not to discourage anyone from using the Mazda filters. They are top notch and for the price can’t be beat.

I don't think Mazda or other engine manufacturers publish external specs for filters. The filter from an SAE standpoint has to remove particulates of a certain size. But when i look at that mazda filter compared to the other brand, the mazda filter seems more optimized for flow/throughput. That other filter could cause an increase in Oil pressure and reduced oil flow. This could be meaningful in our high compression engines.

This is not to discourage anyone from using the Mazda filters. They are top notch and for the price cant be beat.
The question is how do you make one filter to meet 2 different specs from two OEM filters?

Thank you yrwei52 for the PDF. The only thing it specifies from a technical standpoint is that it's a "high flow" filter. This amount of flow (whatever that is) can be achieved via two mechanisms; filtering media or bypass valve. Filtering media is relatively self explanatory, a media which filters less efficiently will have higher flow. A filter with higher efficiency will have a lower flow rate. Mind you, lower flow rate doesn't mean that the engine is being starved for oil as it's ultimately the oil pump which is responsible for the GPM rate. An engine being starved of oil due to the filter is an extremely rare occurrence. However, in an event where there is an unusually high amount of oil pressure, the bypass springs open so that the oil literally bypasses the media and flows through the filter unfiltered. Even in these instances, a complete opening of the bypass valve is unlikely. It should be noted that efficiency isn't the only thing which will cause this increase of pressure. Oil viscosity, temperature (cold temps will increase the viscosity of the oil) and high RPM situations will increase oil pressure.

I've cross-referenced several filters below. You'll see there's quite a bit of overlap between the bypass pressure that's "required" of the OEM filter and aftermarket filters. Given that, I'd rather go with a filter that is more efficient. Though it should be noted, while the efficiency of an oil filter is important it's not the most important aspect of a vehicle's filtration. That would go to your engine's air filter. I'll put the Wix "custom" filter and the Wix equivalent to the B6Y1-14-302A at the top for direct comparison.

Wix 57002 - PSI 11-14 - Nominal Micron Rating of 15
Wix 51365 - PSI 8-11 - Nominal Micron Rating of 21

Purolator L14612 - PSI 14-18 - 96.5% @ 20 microns
Fram XG6607 - PSI 13 - 99% >20 microns
Bosch ST3300 - PSI 8 - Micron Rating of 20 (assuming nominal)
MicroGard MGL57002 - PSI 11-14 - 95% @ 29 microns (MicroGard is made by Wix)

Good discussion. Thanks.

Think of all the owners who use quickie lube outfits for oil changes. Most if not all have reduced the number of filter models over the years so one size fits many vehicles. This is supposed to reduce errors and of course cut costs.

Back