Bosch ST3300 Oil Filter - Fits 2016 but won't work for 2017??

:
2017 CX5 AWD Touring
I would always get the Bosch ST3300 oil filter for my 2016 GT 2.5l gas but supposedly the AutoZone computer showed that the same filter will NOT fit the 2017 CX5.

That doesn't make sense. They are identical motors.

Any input??

It should fit, but fit doesn't mean it would meet the specufication of an oil filter required by SkyActiv-G engines. Officially Wix 57002 is the only aftermarket oil filter meeting the specification of an oil filter for SkyActiv-G engines. Go get a Mazda OEM oil filter it's not expensive anyway.

It should fit, but fit doesn't mean it would meet the specufication of an oil filter required by SkyActiv-G engines. Officially Wix 57002 is the only aftermarket oil filter meeting the specification of an oil filter for SkyActiv-G engines. Go get a Mazda OEM oil filter it's not expensive anyway.

Med Center has the OEM filters selling for $7. Can't beat that.

That'll be where I get my next filters.

Might want to check some dealers in the area, mine sells them for 6 and some change...no shipping costs.

Bosch Steel Tech oil fitlers are top notch filters. Very highly rated. I don't see HOW or WHY they would not meet Mazda specs. Made in the USA

UPDATE:
Just spoke to Bosch tech support and they said the ST3300 does fit the 2017 and 2018 CX5's. It's just that they have not updated their computer system but the ST3300 is an exact fit for the 2017 & 2018.

I believe the Mazda oil filters are outsourced and a company in Taiwan makes them? Last I checked...

Last edited:
Please double check - as far as I heard these and many more are no more being made by Bosch. Rather they have been outsourced to Champion Labs. Bosch only provides the name and charges royalty for it. There was some article I read where it was stated Bosch moving forward will mostly supply their in-house filters to OEMs only.

Bosch Steel Tech oil fitlers are top notch filters. Very highly rated. I don't see HOW or WHY they would not meet Mazda specs. Made in the USA

UPDATE:
Just spoke to Bosch tech support and they said the ST3300 does fit the 2017 and 2018 CX5's. It's just that they have not updated their computer system but the ST3300 is an exact fit for the 2017 & 2018.

I believe the Mazda oil filters are outsourced and a company in Taiwan makes them? Last I checked...
"Standard" Mazda OEM oil filters PE01-14-302A from Japan and 1WPE-14-302 from Thailand are outsourced and made by Tokyo Roki Co., Ltd., and “Value Products” PE01-14-302A-MV is made by an unknown company in Mexico.

Oil filter designed for SkyActiv-G engines doesn't need anti-drainback valve but many aftermarket filters claimed for CX-5, such as Purolator Pure One PL14612, have it for universal fit as they don't design one filter only for SkyActiv-G engines. For by-pass pressure release valve setting SkyActiv-G engines called 11~14 psi but others are 14~18 psi. And filter element has 15 micron rating on OEM filters for SkyActiv-G's but others mostly are rated 20 microns.

Bosch oil filters, like its batteries, I've seen in the US don't look the same as Bosch filters in Europe and Asia. They apparently outsourced and made by some US manufacture such as Purolator or Champion Labs mentioned above.

Wix's custom filter 57002 created for Mazda...

I've seen this stated several times and have yet to find where this is officially stated. I've followed your link to BITOG and that doesn't show proof either. Mazda hasn't even released a TSB on their oil filters either. If there was a genuine "problem" using aftermarket filters they would, similarly to how Hyundai released a TSB explaining that some aftermarket filters create a start-up rattle.

This is my 2nd CX-5 and I've used various oil filters, never an issue. Granted, this is a sample size of 1, but if there was a legitimate design feature that made the Mazda and Wix filters special, a problem would have shown itself by now.

Last edited:
I really don't get this one. I have a $3,000 engine but, spend time tying to source a cheaper than OEM oil filter, even going to the extreme of using a filter that doesn't meet specs in the written material. For less than $8.00 I can chose from OEM, Fram Ultra or NAPA Gold that will last the maximum oil filter change of 7,500 miles. Ed

I really don't get this one. I have a $3,000 engine but, spend time tying to source a cheaper than OEM oil filter, even going to the extreme of using a filter that doesn't meet specs in the written material. For less than $8.00 I can chose from OEM, Fram Ultra or NAPA Gold that will last the maximum oil filter change of 7,500 miles. Ed

1. Never mentioned sourcing a cheaper filter.
2. Which specs are you referring to and where is this written material?
3. New max OCI is 10k miles.

My Mazda dealer ONLY sells the "valued" Mazda oil filters and installs them on all Mazda's. This "Mazda value" oil filter is made in Mexico and nobody knows what specs it has.

I never said I want a "cheaper" oil filter than OEM. I actually want a BETTER oil filter than OEM. If I have to spend $20, I will do it. I just don't want to buy a "valued" Mazda oil filter at the Mazda dealership because they are outsourced Mexico filters.

The Bosch ST3300 is made in Bridgeview, IL - USA

Also, please show me WHERE the Bosch oil filter doesn't meet specs in the written material?

For the price of the oem filters at mazdaparts.org, I think I’ll just order from them. No worries and a great price to boot.

I just don't want to buy a "valued" Mazda oil filter at the Mazda dealership because they are outsourced Mexico filters.

Looks racist to me, but who cares where they are made? It's mazda genuine, doesn't void the warranty and used by the dealership, can't really go wrong. As long as you change your filter every 10k, any filter is good. We use $AUD 5 filters in our workshop, on all cars, never got any problems or complaints.

Looks racist to me, but who cares where they are made? It's mazda genuine, doesn't void the warranty and used by the dealership, can't really go wrong. As long as you change your filter every 10k, any filter is good. We use $AUD 5 filters in our workshop, on all cars, never got any problems or complaints.

Build quality sucks on the MV. Sometimes the oil filter wrench will fit, sometimes it won't. My dealer actually stocks the Taiwan filters and MV. You have to ask for the "better" one.

1. The Bosch is cheaper than the OEM
2. The St3300 fits but, only has a one year warranty according to Bosch
In addition, the media is cellulose (Bosch site for the ST3300) and not synthetic like OEM or Fram Ultra
3. I was not aware of the 10,000 mile limit but only the one year warranty limit.

Build quality sucks on the MV. Sometimes the oil filter wrench will fit, sometimes it won't. My dealer actually stocks the Taiwan filters and MV. You have to ask for the "better" one.

I think you mean Thailand, not Taiwan?

Personally if I am going to run a 10k oil change interval I would not use a cheap filter. BITOG has a section on oil filters and poster doing cut open and posting pics. Some of those filters look horrible. Many have torn filter media.

I think you mean Thailand, not Taiwan?

Personally if I am going to run a 10k oil change interval I would not use a cheap filter. BITOG has a section on oil filters and poster doing cut open and posting pics. Some of those filters look horrible. Many have torn filter media.

yep, I stand corrected

My Mazda dealer ONLY sells the "valued" Mazda oil filters and installs them on all Mazda's. This "Mazda value" oil filter is made in Mexico and nobody knows what specs it has.

I never said I want a "cheaper" oil filter than OEM. I actually want a BETTER oil filter than OEM. If I have to spend $20, I will do it. I just don't want to buy a "valued" Mazda oil filter at the Mazda dealership because they are outsourced Mexico filters.

The Bosch ST3300 is made in Bridgeview, IL - USA

Also, please show me WHERE the Bosch oil filter doesn't meet specs in the written material?
SkyActiv-G's require special "high-flow" oil filter hence Mazda featured different OEM filter PE01-14-302 to begin with although there's Mazda OEM B6Y1-14-302 oil filter which will fit SA-G's perfectly. But Mazda North American Operations issued a warning to their US Mazda dealers making sure not to use B6Y1-14-302 as it has different internal structure.

According to cross-reference chart, your Bosch Steel Tech ST3300 is compatible with many oil filters used on non-Mazda vehicles, and it's also compatible with Mazda's B6Y1-14-302(A) which MNAO has said not to be used on SkyActiv-G's. Bosch filter's By-Pass Pressure Release Valve with 14~18 psi. setting is higher than 11~14 psi specified for SA-G engines, and Bosch's filter element is rated at 20 microns whereas SA-G's filter is rated at 15 microns. Bosch ST3300 also has unnecessary Anti-Drainback Valve not required by SA-G's. These just show Bosch ST3300 oil filter is designed for universal fit on many different vehicles with one-size-fit-all approach, why not just use Mazda OEM oil filter designed specifically only for SA-G's?

If you don't like "Value Products" from Mazda, you can always ask your Mazda dealer getting 1WPE-14-302 oil filter made by Tokyo Roki with correct part number.

Here is one MNAO PDF to their US Mazda Dealers concerning genuine Oil Filter(s) installation and use for ALL SA Engines..
Mazda Dealers (in USA particularly) are also seeing stored DTC's (Diagnostic Trouble Codes in PCM) when they use even 'other' genuine Mazda oil filters in Skyactiv engines, see pic, they look identical, but it is what is inside.

attachment.php

Last edited:
Back