Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Bosch ST3300 Oil Filter - Fits 2016 but won't work for 2017??

'16.5 CX-5 Touring AWD

Quote Originally Posted by yrwei52 View Post
    Thanks for the info, but I still don't see "95% @ 29 microns" rating on MicroGard MGL57002's specs. If MicroGard MGL57002 is made by Wix, I doubt it'd have any different micron rating than Wix 57002. Usually it would just copy the original specs over.

This's the detailed description under MicroGard MGL57002 but the the rating of 95% efficient at 29 microns is based on different MicroaGard filters:

"Laboratory Test Performance per ISO 454812 13 grams dirt (MicroGard MGL51515), 95% efficient at 29 microns (Based on MicroGard MGL51356, MGL57060, MGL51515)"
    That's exactly correct. Manufacturers don't (usually) conduct ISO 4548-12 testing for their entire lineup, if they even conduct the test at all, hence why you'll often only find a Nominal rating stated. The machine which you need to conduct the ISO test is around $250k, testing with an independent lab can run around $5k per test. It's very easy to see why a manufacturer wouldn't test every single filter. Usually a manufacturer will give you an average rating over X amount of filters (such as MicroGard) or the rating from a single filter in each "tier" (Think Purolator Classic, One & Boss). I've listed a few examples.

PureOne 14612 - 99.9% @ 40um ISO 4548-12 based on ISO testing from the 14610
    EcoGard S4612 - 99.9% @ 25um ISO 4548-12
    Fram TG6607 - 99% @ >20um ISO 4548-12 based on average of TG8A, 3387A, & 4967

Just as a side note, I read this article today which actually states than an oil filter can be TOO efficient and actually inhibit an oil's performance by catching certain additives.
    Last edited by RepeatMazda; 03-27-2018 at 10:12 PM.
    2018 Giulia Ti Sport
    • 2.0l Turbo - 2k miles - Factory fill & filter

2016.5 CX-5 Touring AWD
    • 2.5l I4 - 49k miles - SynPower w/ MaxLife 0w20 - PureOne - 8k/1yr

2017 CX5 AWD Touring

Quote Originally Posted by RepeatMazda View Post

Just as a side note, I read this article today which actually states than an oil filter can be TOO efficient and actually inhibit an oil's performance by catching certain additives.
    Like Mazda Moly lubricant?

Oh no, so the Mazda oil filter actually removes Moly ! The madness and insanity, when will it stop? I dream oil filters and see them everywhere I go

Registered Member

When they do this testing, are they testing the filter itself or the media? Testing the media might make sense if the manufacturer plans to use it in their filter lineup rather than testing each specific filter.

'16.5 CX-5 Touring AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Puyapim View Post
    When they do this testing, are they testing the filter itself or the media? Testing the media might make sense if the manufacturer plans to use it in their filter lineup rather than testing each specific filter.
    Great question! The test is conducted with an actual filter. There aren't many visual resources on the test but I was able to find this.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

Thanks for that. With a facility that can test multiple filters at once then it becomes efficient. More and more the filter companies are going to a smaller lineup so that one size filter fits many more applications. It also cuts down on errors.

2017 CX5 AWD Touring

Mobil1 Champlabs tech responded:

Sorry for the delay. The Mobil 1 filter is 95% efficient at 20 Micron.

'16.5 CX-5 Touring AWD

I finally found the TSB for the 2.5T. Again this is for the 2.5T ONLY. But, it does go to show, if there was a concern about a special or "unique" oil filter being needed for a certain application, Mazda would without question issue a TSB.

CX-9 w/ 2.5T Oil Filter Application TSB
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Donated: $8

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by RepeatMazda View Post
    I finally found the TSB for the 2.5T. Again this is for the 2.5T ONLY. But, it does go to show, if there was a concern about a special or "unique" oil filter being needed for a certain application, Mazda would without question issue a TSB.

CX-9 w/ 2.5T Oil Filter Application TSB
    This "TSB" looks like a sequel to an older one also from Mazda North American Operations for original unique SkyActiv oil filter (from no white band to 1 white band to 2 white bands) ⋯

Quote Originally Posted by AdzamOZ View Post
    Here is one MNAO PDF to their US Mazda Dealers concerning genuine Oil Filter(s) installation and use for ALL SA Engines..
    Mazda Dealers (in USA particularly) are also seeing stored DTC's (Diagnostic Trouble Codes in PCM) when they use even 'other' genuine Mazda oil filters in Skyactiv engines, see pic, they look identical, but it is what is inside.

13' CX-5 and 16' Mazda6 both Touring w/Tech/Bose

Skyactiv engines call for these specs:

No Anti-drain back valve
    11-14 PSI

OEM, WIX 57002, and probably a NAPA filter are the only ones that meet those specs. For reference look at http://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/PartDetails.aspx?which states " Principle Application: Various Mazda (12-18), Toyota Yaris (16-18) " = Skyactiv engines only.

Pretty sure the Bosch and other filters have great quality but you are essentially putting an out of spec filter on. Will your engine blow up? nope. Will you get the stank face from your engine? You betcha

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567