Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: MZDA WLF Protegé5 "build"

Registered Member

lolmsp lolms3

feels nice doesn't it? still doesn't compare to boost tho lol

2002 Protegé5 manual

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    feels nice doesn't it? still doesn't compare to boost tho lol
    It*s nice how linear the powerband is, though I never had complaints about the stock ECU. I*m mostly taking it easy right now to let the computer figure out my engine and optimize itself, but hopefully then it*ll be a bigger improvement.

Comp Engineering Student Riot_Polizei's Avatar

2002 Mazda Protege5

Quote Originally Posted by Anzi View Post
    It*s nice how linear the powerband is, though I never had complaints about the stock ECU. I*m mostly taking it easy right now to let the computer figure out my engine and optimize itself, but hopefully then it*ll be a bigger improvement.
    It's harder to notice any changes beneath 4.5kRPM and 5kRPM. There's probably a little more gumption down there, but I'm not sure. The biggest advantage of the MP3 ECU is how you can cleanly redline the car now rather than have it choke around 5.5kRPM.

You'll certainly enjoy the benefits on those touge passes you go on--won't have to think about shifting
    2002 Mazda Protege5
    ■ Sunburst Yellow ■ Black Rear Valence ■ Injen Cold Air Intake ■ Racing Beat Catback Exhaust ■ Moog Front Endlinks
    ■ Megan Racing Rear Strut Tower Bar ■ Racing Beat Rear Sway Bar ■ Mazda6 Front Big Brakes ■ Foglight Deletes
    ■ OBX 4-1 Headers ■ MP3 ECU ■ VTCS-less Intake Manifold ■ Mishimoto Aluminum Racing Radiator + Fan Shroud
    ■ AWR Trailing Arms ■ Eibach Lowering Springs

2002 Protegé5 manual

Quote Originally Posted by Riot_Polizei View Post
    It's harder to notice any changes beneath 4.5kRPM and 5kRPM. There's probably a little more gumption down there, but I'm not sure. The biggest advantage of the MP3 ECU is how you can cleanly redline the car now rather than have it choke around 5.5kRPM.

You'll certainly enjoy the benefits on those touge passes you go on--won't have to think about shifting
    See, I*ve found in the couple pulls I*ve done from low revs/dead stop so far that it has way more gut at the low RPMs, and it isn*t such a distinct feeling of coming in to the powerband. Feels super linear throughout, like the opposite of VTEC lol. That said, it didn*t feel like the car was much quicker or anything, just more refined in power delivery. Will see what happens when the ECU has learned my car for a bit, but I*m not gonna go crazy for the next 100 miles

2002 Protegé5 manual

More shit done today! I had salvaged the dealer-installed auto-dimming compass/temperature mirror from the white car, and I just got done installing it in my black one. Also getting a new windshield on Friday, which will be nice, since the current one is cracked and pitted to hell.

For those who want instructions on the mirror install:
    MIrror Installation.pdf

2002 Protegé5 manual

Yesterday was a sad day. I sent Hiroshi, my parts car/first P5, to the salvage yard.

That car made me really fall in love with the Protegé5 as a car.

Comp Engineering Student Riot_Polizei's Avatar

2002 Mazda Protege5

Sadness. Glad it could serve as a positive introduction to the world of P5s, though.

I'm still mad at that one lady that rear-ended you lol
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

2002 Protegé5 manual

Quote Originally Posted by Riot_Polizei View Post
    Sadness. Glad it could serve as a positive introduction to the world of P5s, though.

I'm still mad at that one lady that rear-ended you lol
    I was rear-ended by a man actually.
    But yeah, I cried a little when they were driving off. At least many of those parts went to my current car.

2002 Protegé5 manual

Fun news. My car is still blowing a decent amount of oil smoke at high RPM, but not at start. If I*m correct, this is indicative of my oil control rings failing. Sadly this means a rebuild is a very likely necessity in the much nearer future than I had hoped. Gonna try another oil flush at 200k, and see if it helps any further, but if not, I*m gonna start saving to build the engine.

2002 Protegé5 manual

In my continuing quest to chase down my oil burn without a full rebuild, I*ve noticed the oil burns faster the longer it*s been in there, indicating it thins out, And the oil on the dipstick feels pretty thin too.. Took off my oil cap, and sure enough, it smells faintly of gasoline. So, I*m replacing the injectors soon with the ones from my parts car, which had no oil burn issue.
    In other news, I never liked the JDM valve cover and shroud, so I did this:

Registered Member

2001 Mazda SP20 323

Wrinkle red makes everything faster!

Looks super clean, where did you get the oil cap?

Registered Member STudMUffin1177's Avatar

Mazda protege5

Nice work man, sorry your first p5 had to go. I'm thinking of doing a transmission swap soon(ish) my still dumps all the oil right out. Any tips you could give? Also love the red valve cover, really makes the engine pop. Super clean man

2002 Protegé5 manual

Quote Originally Posted by LankyKiwi View Post
    Wrinkle red makes everything faster!

Looks super clean, where did you get the oil cap?
    eBay. I searched Protege oil cap or something like that.

2002 Protegé5 manual

Quote Originally Posted by STudMUffin1177 View Post
    Nice work man, sorry your first p5 had to go. I'm thinking of doing a transmission swap soon(ish) my still dumps all the oil right out. Any tips you could give? Also love the red valve cover, really makes the engine pop. Super clean man
    Get friends to help, set aside a weekend. I'd suggest removing the entire driver side steering knuckle and CV shaft, you may end up having to replace tie rod ends though. Also, get axle seals, a rear main seal, clutch kit, flywheel. Redline 75w90NS is the bomb in these gearboxes (assuming manual). Pretty easy process, just very time consuming, and the hard parts involve positioning the gearbox just right to get it out and put it back in.

2002 Protegé5 manual

I replaced the injectors, reset my ECU, and let some ATC soak in the combustion chambers. After adding some Lucas Oil Stabilizer to bring the oil viscosity back up around where it should be, I took the car out to the local touge, and for the first time since getting the black P5, I smelled tires and brake pads instead of burning oil. I'm pretty psyched, cause it seems I finally solved the oil burn issue WITHOUT rebuilding the engine. Also my fuel economy is up by 3MPG

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast