Best Alternative to CX-5

I know Consumer Reports is not everyone's cup of tea, but the reviews and ratings in the 2018 new car edition is not that kind to Volvo. I'd pass, especially given the premium pricing you mentioned.

I LOVE the XC40. LOVE LOVE LOVE.
What I cannot stand and Volvo has probably lost me as a customer for life, is pricing.

Only color XC40 that DOESN'T have an extra $600 cost?? Black. So if you want that 2 tone look, and as much as I like black cars, I want that two tone look: it's $600. For ANY color. Fine. Pay that. Next step 19'... ok good there...
Next... o man... that 2 tone interior is sharp! Add $100.
OK.. packages. Wait... heated seats aren't standard? Isn't this a VOLVO made in SWEDEN? Volvo always included heated seats. Sigh... add another $750. Gotta add Premium package. Cool toys in that. $900 And the Advanced Package. $995. Gotta have those headlights. O wait... if you get Advanced you HAVE to add the Vision package? Sigh... there's another $1,100, that's where Blind Spot monitors are so gotta have that.
Harman Kardon sound system... I'm not paying... what are we up to? $43,135 and NOT getting a kick ass stereo. $800. I GUESS I could pass on the Moonroof since it's panoramic and $1,200. No other option. My last 6 cars have had sunroofs. Screw it...add that.
$45,000.

But it's got ACP...

Sorry Volvo. Ya' lost me... Sure is pretty though.Here's the one I built:
View attachment 218707

I agree with you 100%. I love the look of the car and the interior. But heck that car is expensive. They are building a plant literally 20 miles from my house and will actually offer pick up prices (like a 10% discount) - but it is still really expensive!

What I cannot stand and Volvo has probably lost me as a customer for life, is pricing.

Only color XC40 that DOESN'T have an extra $600 cost?? Black. So if you want that 2 tone look, and as much as I like black cars, I want that two tone look: it's $600. For ANY color. Fine. Pay that. Next step 19'... ok good there...
OK.. packages. Wait... heated seats aren't standard? Isn't this a VOLVO made in SWEDEN? Volvo always included heated seats. Sigh... add another $750. Gotta add Premium package. Cool toys in that. $900 And the Advanced Package. $995. Gotta have those headlights. O wait... if you get Advanced you HAVE to add the Vision package? Sigh... there's another $1,100, that's where Blind Spot monitors are so gotta have that.
Harman Kardon sound system... I'm not paying... what are we up to? $43,135 and NOT getting a kick ass stereo. $800. I GUESS I could pass on the Moonroof since it's panoramic and $1,200. No other option. My last 6 cars have had sunroofs. Screw it...add that.
$45,000.

But it's got ACP...

View attachment 218707

Pretty much the norm for luxury brands. Everything ala carte.

I believe Porsche offers leather vent louvres for $700

$45,000.

But it's got ACP...

View attachment 218707

ugh, its those damn rear doors, and the wicked up-turned rear glass that irks me to no end. just looks way too much like a toy to me. however, this is much more to my liking:

2018_volvo_xc60_prf_td_707171_1600.jpg

$45,000.

But it's got ACP...

View attachment 218707

Wow, that car actually looks decent (Still not my favorite on looks department though), but my god what awful packaging and pricing as a result.

That comment is a real can of worms you're opening there, but hey, I agree with you.
I've been in Florida (Sarasota) the past month, and the distracted driving down here is 10 times worse than what I see back home in Ottawa.
I suppose I should google it, but I've been wondering if texting/talking on the phone is even illegal down here, given so many people are doing it.
I really have to be on my toes driving down here. It's nuts.

Speaking of opening cans of worms: some observations from a Canadian....
Helmets are not mandatory down here for motorcyclists. Unbelievable.
90% of riders drive without them, and there are motorcycle deaths every week here. What is wrong with people.!!

Last unrelated comment: Teenagers can buy assault rifles here, but they can't buy a beer.
And in other news, they have decided to ban plastic straws in restaurants. That's more important I guess. Priorities. Wow.

Cheers.

Its called Floriduh for a reason.

More and more I'm just leaning towards a clearance 2018 or unsold 2017 Mazda 3 Sport GT with a manual.

Maybe a 2015 TDI Sportwagen (again, stick shift) but from everything I've seen, they're asking far too much $$ for a 3 year old 'faulty' car and they're not plentiful.

Ideally I'd like something a bit more spacious (CX5) but most of the time it's just me in the car and the 3 is still bigger than what I have now for when the wife, kids and dog are along.

Same motor as the CX5 in a lighter and lower car = win IMO.

Now if the diesel actually materializes soon...I'll have to weigh the lack of a manual and higher cost vs the benefits of the motor.

Maybe I'll survive with the 3 for a few years and hope they bring the 6 wagon here next generation (hopefully with AWD and the 2.5L version of the 'X' motor) in a few years so I have an upgrade path.

Not my favorite attribute, but I think floating roofs (whether separated by glass or paint) are much more of an eyesore. Moreso on crossovers and suvs.

I agree with that as well. It is more distracting in my opinion than what the desired effect is supposed to be. I think the Nissan Murano has the same concept but while better looking still not my cup of tea. I hope I didn’t get my vehicles mixed up.

What's our motto around here? Each to thier own. I like the floaty roof lines. LOL

Best Alternative to Cx-5

What's our motto around here? Each to thier own. I like the floaty roof lines. LOL

I like the idea but with the Volvo they designed the feature but the effect is not floating. It just looks like a two toned top.

Edit to add: the upper part looks like that glossy black trim stuff. My experience with that is it scratches and swirls pretty easily

Last edited:
I agree with your point. The bang for the buck that Mazda gives you really cinched the choice for me. VW and some other brands start to get real expensive once you hit top trim.

The bang for the buck and the premium feel is what sold us on the CX-5. My DD is an Audi A4 and I don't feel like I've significantly stepped down when I get in the CX-5. I guess the CR-V would be the next best choice based on reviews but I can't get past the overwrought styling.

I agree that the BMW X3 brand new, is too expensive to compare to the CX-5. That's why I said you will have to dip into the CPO market to try and find one, even then, it might still be quite expensive. If I'm not mistaken, the BMW X3 was, might still be, the benchmark for the Mazda CX-5. They occupy the same "compact suv" segment and they are both "sporty" suvs. Mazda even took inspiration from BMW's iDrive system when they created their Commander Knob/infotainment system. This is why I think barring price, the X3 is the only alternative to the CX-5. And if Mazda decides to drop the 2.5T engine into the CX-5, then you wouldn't even need to consider the X3.

Now if money was not a limiting factor and I don't have any issues paying for a brand new BMW X3, I might as well get a Macan. It is a little bit smaller, but it is more performance oriented than both the CX-5 and X3, which is what I would want.

Edit: to get back on topic for the OP, I would recommend getting another CX-5 even if it doesn't have AA or Carplay.

If using Mazda Canada's website to compare vehicles, they actually compare it to an X1, and it's also what the sales reps compared it too. But there is definitely a blurred line there, since the X3 is only marginally larger than the CX-5 and X1. And to make everything a little more confusing there's an X2 coming now too, hahahaha.

Back on topics, yes, the CX-5 is the best in segment under $40k imo. :)

Last edited:
F-Pace if $$$ were no object.

I've been told that the QC is very lacking on the F-Pace and as a result the vehicles are not very reliable. Looks like a nice machine though. I used to think I'd want one of them until the below came out.

I used to think that way, but now I'd go with the Stelvio.

God I want the Quadrifoglio version of this or the Giulia. Such sexy beast machines. They go zoom and look/sound dam good doing it. (bow)

New X3 is a lot larger than a CX-5.
Nearest is the X2.

X1 was once described as the worst car BMW has made, although the latest version has improved it still only gets average reports

If using Mazda Canada's website to compare vehicles, they actually compare it to an X1, and it's also what the sales reps compared it too. But there is definitely a blurred line there, since the X3 is only marginally larger than the CX-5 and X1.

Back on topics, yes, the CX-5 is the best in segment under $40k imo. :)

I've been told that the QC is very lacking on the F-Pace and as a result the vehicles are not very reliable. Looks like a nice machine though. I used to think I'd want one of them until the below came out.

God I want the Quadrifoglio version of this or the Giulia. Such sexy beast machines. They go zoom and look/sound dam good doing it. (bow)

Rofl, and in the next thread everyone bags on Chrysler....

New X3 is a lot larger than a CX-5.
Nearest is the X2.

X1 was once described as the worst car BMW has made, although the latest version has improved it still only gets average reports
I saw the new X2 at Cars and Coffee Dallas last Saturday. To me it looks smaller than a CX-5. It is more like a hatchback but looks like a CUV/SUV. It was also $50k LOL.

--------
The Stelvio is a good looking car, but considering the reliability issues with the Guila, I would stay away from the Stelvio. They were testing a Quadrifoglio version of the Stelvio and it broke down in the middle of the street in LA LOL. I'll stick with a CX-5.

All Mazda really needs to do is drop the 2.5T into the CX-5 and we won't even need to consider luxury brands.

I saw the new X2 at Cars and Coffee Dallas last Saturday. To me it looks smaller than a CX-5. It is more like a hatchback but looks like a CUV/SUV. It was also $50k LOL.

--------
The Stelvio is a good looking car, but considering the reliability issues with the Guila, I would stay away from the Stelvio. They were testing a Quadrifoglio version of the Stelvio and it broke down in the middle of the street in LA LOL. I'll stick with a CX-5.

All Mazda really needs to do is drop the 2.5T into the CX-5 and we won't even need to consider luxury brands.

That makes me sad for the Alfa. :(

But yeah, 2.5T and we're all zoom zooming the same as a luxury car anyway, lol.

Back