Best Alternative to CX-5

RAV looks REALLY good. Best looking CUV I've ever seen, honestly. If they put a real AWD system in it, and make it a decent driver, it's going to jump to the top of the class, IMO

Seriously?

After the CR-V it's the next CUV whose looks scream "soccer mom mobile".

My thoughts exactly. The RAV-4 is ugly.

The best crossover other than the CX-5, is the CX-5, as far as chassis and drivetrain is concerned.

I go back and forth on Mazda's red. Always liked the Gen 1 reds, but Gen 2's seem to change in lighting a lot more and I've seen it at times where it looked damn sexy and other times where I thought it looked awful.

Just my $0.02

We have the red on our 2017 CX-5. Still get tons of comments on it. One guy I know likes it so much he's going to paint his Skyline that colour.

As far as CarPlay, my Pilot has it and I rarely use it. The only time I do is when going on a trip. If I didn't have it, I'd just use Google maps. If I'm just going a short distance in a new city, I still just use Google maps on my phone and set it down, letting it direct with the turn by turn voice prompts, rather than plug my phone in. Maybe if my phone was newer with more memory, I'd use it more (currently have a 6 with only 16GB). I keep all my music on an older iPhone that I've repurposed as an iPod that constantly stays plugged into a USB port in the center console. I have to unplug that before plugging my phone in if I want to use CarPlay. Otherwise it will just stay on the loading screen. And I have to unplug it every time I start the car back up again. Doesn't matter that the USB port I'm using for it isn't set up for CarPlay, it still messes up the connection to my phone. And when using CarPlay, using the old iPhone isn't even an option for music. Just defaults back to the phone. So 99% of the time I never use CarPlay. There are so many more factors to consider when buying a car. CarPlay will NEVER be a factor either way for me.

Looking at it as a total package, even including the CX-5's flaws (no AA or Carplay), there's nothing better than a CX-5 in its segment. IMO the only possible alternative for it is a BMW X3. You will have to dip into the CPO market to get one with a relatively affordable price though.

Like someone mentioned, consider waiting for the new Forester. I have driven the XT and love its power. A refresh should be coming soon...

Like someone mentioned, consider waiting for the new Forester. I have driven the XT and love its power. A refresh should be coming soon...

Topic is being investigated thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
that new RAV4 looks horrendous... way too many creases and lines. and i hate, hate, hate rectangle-ish shaped wheel wells.

+1 Rav is busted up front ok back is just busted hideous- pretty much sucks to drive too.

EDIT- oh shnizzle out of loop (and power still) I thought we were talking current Rav. This one should be called the all new Toyota ape the hell out of a jeep Rav4 coming soon. It looks meh ok better I guess than current but idk butched up look writing checks it almost definitely can't cash (not that it matters to 99+%)

Last edited:
Looks decent, far better than most Japanese SUVs, only the CX-5 matches it.

While I 100% agree with you, this isn't really the point. Let's just help OP out and not beat this horse to death. For the record, Apple doesn't allow you to run ACP on your phone. Oh and "screen size" Yrwei? Geez, what kind of tiny phone you using? My Mazda screen is maybe an inch bigger then my phone? Giant phones nowadays. LOL!!!

ON TOPIC: IF I was buying today and AA was #1 for me, no question: the beautifully redesigned imo, 2019 Jeep Cherokee with AA/ACP coming for the first time to Jeep. I am in love with this redesign and I would splurge and get the Trailhawk.. I think its the only one that comes in this red.

Gotta be honest, I think I like that red better then Mazda's. /runs away

3a1a10502rj5o90qj4pc9df0cgfh4u1mui.jpg

I would not overlook the VW Golf Alltrack. The Tiguan was mentioned earlier and that is a good choice as well.

I agree the Alltrack is worth considering. The handling is not too much different from the regular Golf, so it's better than a crossover. The DSG model I drove also feels quicker than the horsepower rating would suggest. One caveat is the shortage rear seat legroom. That ended up being a deal breaker for me since I still have a toddler in a rear-facing car seat. The Alltrack is also somewhat pricey for what you get. The Alltrack SEL is a couple grand more than a CX-5 GT with Premium Package, but you can't even get real leather.

I agree the Alltrack is worth considering. The handling is not too much different from the regular Golf, so it's better than a crossover. The DSG model I drove also feels quicker than the horsepower rating would suggest. One caveat is the shortage rear seat legroom. That ended up being a deal breaker for me since I still have a toddler in a rear-facing car seat. The Alltrack is also somewhat pricey for what you get. The Alltrack SEL is a couple grand more than a CX-5 GT with Premium Package, but you can't even get real leather.

I agree with your point. The bang for the buck that Mazda gives you really cinched the choice for me. VW and some other brands start to get real expensive once you hit top trim.

I agree with your point. The bang for the buck that Mazda gives you really cinched the choice for me. VW and some other brands start to get real expensive once you hit top trim.

Yep. Mazda truly is a bargain if you can overlook some things.

I hate the way it looks, but besides that, they have had constant transmission issues. I'd miss this one and go for the Jeep Grand Cherokee instead.
Tranny issue were straightened out in 17. And the GC isn't in the same class. Thought OP wants a Compact SUV.

Best Alternative to Cx-5

⋯ Oh and "screen size" Yrwei? Geez, what kind of tiny phone you using? My Mazda screen is maybe an inch bigger then my phone? Giant phones nowadays. LOL!!!
I use an old iPhone 5S left by my daughter. Many people prefer small-screen-sized cell phone which is easier to handle and carry. That's why Apple still offers smaller 4.7" display on its new iPhone 8.

Apparently you don't know the big difference between screen size in inches and the actual viewable screen area. Screen size is measured diagonally from one corner to another. It doesn't really make it apparent how much larger or smaller one screen is than another. For example the infotainment system in our CX-5 has 7" display, and the latest and expensive iPhone X which offers the largest screen ever for iPhone, has 5.8" display. You'd think our infotainment screen is only 20% larger. But in actuality the viewable screen area for 7" display is 20.74 sq. in. and for 5.8" is 14.28 sq. in., which is 45% larger!

My entire phone is the size of my CX-5 screen. Wish I could get a pic of my holding it up to it.

Droid Turbo 2. Sadly on the fritz and soon to be replaced.

Back