Best Alternative to CX-5

You can’t drive without using your phone? Shouldn’t you not be driving while using your phone?

Sigh. The typical North American driver is nothing but a dissapointment these days.

I don’t get the issue here....

I turn on my music and my phone is physically inaccessible once I start moving. If I can’t get to it through the infotainment system then I switch to radio.

#wearentallthesame

I wouldn't let the lack of Android Auto or Apple Car Play be a limiting factor on vehicle selection. I have Android Auto on my GTI, and while it is convenient, I simply dock my phone in the CX5 and run Waze or whatever I need. Way more plusses with the CX5 than the lack of AA or ACP in my opinion.

Best Alternative to Cx-5

My main reason is I want it is because I do just want to be able to put my phone down while driving. I can't now because Mazda system doesn't offer live traffic, or a useable poi search, or Spotify integration, or ability to voice text someone. AA at least would allow me to connect my phone and set it down and not touch it again until I'm at my destination.

Until AA is implemented, I will continue to have to use my phone on a phone dock. It works but it's still more distracting and not as intuitive.
Exactly! And bigger infotainment screen helps us to see it easier and better than smaller cell phone screen.

Most car owners treat their vehicle as an appliance nowadays. They want more high tech apps on the cell phone and easier to be used while driving. ACP and AA improve the safety because youre not fiddling with your cell phone while driving if you have ACP and AA.

Subaru Forester and RAV4, should show up soon, with new cars. Both look very promising in renderings, but I don't know, if they will have AA, or Carplay in them.
I really like the RAV4.
446881d1507057875-2019-subaru-forester-merged-thread-capture.jpg

2019-Toyota-RAV4-Carscoops-2.jpg

2019-Toyota-Avalon-Entgune-3.0.jpg

Subaru Forester and RAV4, should show up soon, with new cars. Both look very promising in renderings, but I don't know, if they will have AA, or Carplay in them.
I really like the RAV4.
446881d1507057875-2019-subaru-forester-merged-thread-capture.jpg

The Forester will have it... All revised Subaru models have it incorporated so there is no reason the new Forester won't. Toyota is doubtful as even the new Camry doesn't have it.

I really like the RAV4.
cache.php

Wow. BIG improvement on the Rav. Definitely in the running

I don't think the X3 has AA either, perhaps the new Volvo is worth looking at, the model below the XC-60, but its smaller than a CX-5.

It's the XC-40.

Last edited:
nissan: murano
mitsubishi: Mirage, Outlander
honda: cr-v, pilot

I personally have huge issues with Hyundai and refuse to even promote them.

The Forester will have it... All revised Subaru models have it incorporated so there is no reason the new Forester won't. Toyota is doubtful as even the new Camry doesn't have it.

RAV looks REALLY good. Best looking CUV I've ever seen, honestly. If they put a real AWD system in it, and make it a decent driver, it's going to jump to the top of the class, IMO

RAV looks REALLY good. Best looking CUV I've ever seen, honestly. If they put a real AWD system in it, and make it a decent driver, it's going to jump to the top of the class, IMO

Seriously?

After the CR-V it's the next CUV whose looks scream "soccer mom mobile".

that new RAV4 looks horrendous... way too many creases and lines. and i hate, hate, hate rectangle-ish shaped wheel wells.

I just use a carmount for navigation. Siri does a good job with voice texting if I must, though I try to avoid this because hands free is only marginally better than not when it comes to distractions.

I think all the recent stuff from Toyota looks over styled. I think they know they’re boring and trying to counter that image. Very much so in their advertising too.

Exactly! And bigger infotainment screen helps us to see it easier and better than smaller cell phone screen.

Most car owners treat their vehicle as an appliance nowadays. They want more high tech apps on the cell phone and easier to be used while driving. ACP and AA improve the safety because you’re not fiddling with your cell phone while driving if you have ACP and AA.

I would like to see data that fiddling with the touch screen is more than marginally safer than a phone mounted in a good location. Bigger UI is helpful, but I don't think its really any safer...

FWIW, I keep my phone mounted on the windshield above the registration sticker. The eye movement to look at it is even less than the center screen. Siri can accomplish most tasks, but I try to avoid any interaction during movement.

I've never had AA or ACP, so can't speak from experience. But can anyone explain to me why one couldn't just mount their phone and run AA or ACP on the phone? Then use the Mazda system for whatever you want, and the phone for whatever you want. Get sound out of the phone using the headphone jack to aux. Of course it would be better to have it all run from the head unit, but it doesn't. I don't understand how the lack of that feature is enough for anyone to disqualify the car from consideration. Educate me.

While I 100% agree with you, this isn't really the point. Let's just help OP out and not beat this horse to death. For the record, Apple doesn't allow you to run ACP on your phone. Oh and "screen size" Yrwei? Geez, what kind of tiny phone you using? My Mazda screen is maybe an inch bigger then my phone? Giant phones nowadays. LOL!!!

ON TOPIC: IF I was buying today and AA was #1 for me, no question: the beautifully redesigned imo, 2019 Jeep Cherokee with AA/ACP coming for the first time to Jeep. I am in love with this redesign and I would splurge and get the Trailhawk.. I think its the only one that comes in this red.

Gotta be honest, I think I like that red better then Mazda's. /runs away

3a1a10502rj5o90qj4pc9df0cgfh4u1mui.jpg

Last edited:
Back